Author Topic: What Resister Is It? - Help From Super Mario Bros Owners  (Read 355 times)

Offline Jango

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Hi there
To cut a long story short, I would greatly appreciate it if someone who owns a Gottlieb Super Mario Bros (or any other tech guru's who know Gottlieb Sys 3's) could please take a look under their playfield and assist to identify a resister for me (or thats what I think they are called) that has burnt out on my machine.

It is located at R3 (marked in black on the under playfield) and is located right at the very top of the playfield on the left hand side.  I need to know exactly what type of resister this is and the colour etc so that I can buy a replacement

A tech has advised that the burnt resister is most likely the culprit behind all smart switches not activating (left and right drain lanes, kicker, the left upper playfield switch and the right under ramp playfield switch).  Boards are all tested and fine apparently.  Machine is all working perfectly apart from the smart switches registering

Sorry, but I am no tech and have no electronics knowledge, so if anyone could please advise if this diagnosis sounds right, and also where I could go about buying a replacement (once identified) I would be very grateful.  

Also, is this just a case of resoldering and removing the burnt resister and soldering oin the new one?

Pics is attached

Thanks again
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 12:17:23 PM by Jango »

Offline Steevsee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Is it one on this board?
They are 220 Ohms (Red, Red, Brown) 1/4 Watt
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 08:10:08 PM by Steevsee »

Offline Jango

• Forum Posts:
No - its not on a board.  Its actually on the playfield and noted as R3

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
Post a pic of it.

Offline Jango

• Forum Posts:
A pic is now attached to the orig email
 *.*Thanks

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Mate,

Is a 220 Ohm..... colour code is  RED RED BROWN.

Whether this is the cause of your problems im not sure as i dont have proper schematics or a manual for this game... it is possible though in theory.

Simply snip the old one out and solder a new one back in place... use nothing less than a 1/2W resistor and it should prevent it burning out easily again.

Let us know how you get on..

Gav

Offline Jango

• Forum Posts:
As embarrassed as I am to ask this but -

*  Where can I get the 220 ohm red red brown from?
*  When I solder it on can I stuff it up by not placing the correct end left to right etc, or does it not matter when end goes left and right?
*  Do I also need a 1/2w resistor also and where does that go?

Thanks for your help

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Go to Jaycar and ask for a:

"220 ohm - 1/2 watt resistor"

It will cost next to nothing - in fact you will probably have to buy a pack of 5 for $1 or something like that.

They don't have any polarity so you can solder it in either way around.

Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Jango

• Forum Posts:
Thanks for all the advice guys.  I will grab some tomorrow and see how I go.  Hopefully this will see out the only remaining problem I have on this pin

Offline Jango

• Forum Posts:
Well gents, I finally got around to soldering the resistor into place on Monday.  What a pain in the arse getting it into the spot right up the back of the playfield to solder it.  Could not believe it when I turned the machine on and everything now works 110% perfectly.  How can 1 x resistor have so much impact on that many switches... Thanks thanks thanks once again to all.

I've also installed Cliffy's new stainless steel hole protectors in my Mario Bros and they look superb.  My machine is not only 110% perfect mechanically but after the buff job I did using the Treasurecove Kit, it's also looking sensational cosmetically

Offline Steevsee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Nice to have a machine playing and looking it's best.

Well done. ^^^

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Well gents, I finally got around to soldering the resistor into place on Monday.  What a pain in the arse getting it into the spot right up the back of the playfield to solder it.  Could not believe it when I turned the machine on and everything now works 110% perfectly.  How can 1 x resistor have so much impact on that many switches... Thanks thanks thanks once again to all.

I've also installed Cliffy's new stainless steel hole protectors in my Mario Bros and they look superb.  My machine is not only 110% perfect mechanically but after the buff job I did using the Treasurecove Kit, it's also looking sensational cosmetically
Well done - now when you look at a printed circuit board and see all of those parts, each and every one has a specific purpose, you can appreciate how much thought and effort goes into a circuit..…
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals