Author Topic: Now THIS is a car built for speed!  (Read 8229 times)

Offline guyricho

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Now THIS is a car built for speed!
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 08:41:11 PM »
DJR has always be run on a shoe string and is a true testament to him and his love of racing,He has always stated on tours the funds from the tours go to his race car development so I cant see the problem with that can you? he is really the last of the guys who are in it for the racing not the cash.
 but to your concern about his finances He is now hooked up with Penske who is entering this market from the USA So there wouldnt be too many Money problems for DJR now which I think he more than deserves when keeping DJR afloat

Why do people need to think of the Global appeal when deciding what car they should collect? that is not what collecting is about at all

My reference to universal appeal did at no way reference offshore appeal because I couldn't personally care less what a care is worth In dubai
 But you are silly to think that a collection like Bowdens isnt impressive or less than a collection of Ferrari and Lambo's.
What makes his collection better than most in this country is not because of what maker the cars are but more importantly because what the cars are them selves and the attachment many Australians have to such cars.

Whilst you made no direct reference to exotics over muscle cars there was few references that suggested as much which you know were on the cheeky side so we dont need to play Koi

Again, never said his collection wasn't impressive in the appropriate regional context. As to values, what emotional attachment price do you put on a Brock Torana - quite a bit for the average Australian revhead, very little for the average Dubaian. The rub lies in the fact that $1,000,000  is a fair chunk of change to part with for a car for most Australians, whereas a cashed up Dubaian typically wouldn't bat an eyelid. The universal truth holds firm in that something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay.

Without global appeal and perspective, we are going to get people who think that a Torana has the same level of universal appeal as a Ferrari which is quite frankly little more than parochialism and misplaced patriotism clouding a wider reality.

Whilst on the subject of global appeal, it is interesting that Koi carp are a prized possession in many places like Japan with prices up to $60,000 for a single specimen being the norm, whilst in Australia the local introduced carp isn't even worth harvesting for dog food.

Looks like a trip to Japan might be in order soon.  ^^^

No one thinks a Peter broke raced Torana is worth as much a Ferrari out side of Australia, but then again maybe because you can always sell it back to an Australian lol and there is a GTHO in Dubai? but seriously . Im not a Holden guy but i can still understand why a cashed up collector would give not only a million bucks for one but his first born.
same goes for the Rock car and so on.
I dont know if you have seen these cars up close and in person. There is something about these cars that is unreal and Australians relate to it.
They are raw and while built on a budget the engineering and modifications to the suspension and engines is fkn Awesome when they fire up they shake the earth beneath you, and you can just imagine what the son of a bitch would have felt like thundering around a race track

People should collect to what they relate too not what price a car is worth outside of the country. And you know what they generally do.

The wrong sort of collector isnt guys like Bowden, it is the guy who buys a car just because he can show off how much cash he has. thats called a wanker

I know that should not to be confused with
A guy who wants a certain expensive car and is in a position to buy the exotic because he loves it and because he is a true car guy