Author Topic: apron decals and spray clear  (Read 1815 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Re: apron decals and spray clear
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2014, 08:11:42 AM »
I'm trying to work out a better way of doing the artwork. Wondering whether some kind of stencilling will work. Problem is the fine typing parts.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 08:20:31 PM »
Here are some shots of the apron decal work. I also wanted to highlight how a licensed product really does not stack up to expectations. I actually think my home made job looked better colour and sizing matching wise to the bought US product. I didn't spend eons with the artwork so I reckon the repro should be heaps better.

The shooter gauge is the repro left, original middle and my water decal one on the right.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 08:22:51 PM »
Here are some shots of the apron. The repro is the pinky coloured one below the original. It also required a bit of cutting to make it fit.

Offline DSB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 08:52:13 PM »
Here are some shots of the apron decal work. I also wanted to highlight how a licensed product really does not stack up to expectations. I actually think my home made job looked better colour and sizing matching wise to the bought US product. I didn't spend eons with the artwork so I reckon the repro should be heaps better.

Nice work on the shooter gauge decal. There is some poor quality reproduction stuff out there. 

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2014, 09:12:16 PM »
Yep... no attention to detail, they are way off the originals.
Is this the PPS stuff?

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2014, 09:40:04 PM »
Yep... no attention to detail, they are way off the originals.
Is this the PPS stuff?
no classic arcade

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2014, 12:20:02 AM »
Rob,

I've had great success with 2k clear over apron decals.

To be honest I suspect the bunnings 1k stuff may react.  Generally there is extra decal - the same material just outside of the decal.  If that makes sense.

Maybe trim a bit of the spare stuff off and spend $6.00 on a can and give it a whirl.

think I'll give that a try thank Marty and see what happens. Gotta admit this classic arcade decal is pretty ordinary in respect to keeping things authentic. The colours and font seem quite off. I would expect better from a licenced product. I did a water decal that was much better but couldn't do an A3 print and the decal material seemed thicker than what I expected. Hence trying this now. If this works ok, my next move is doing the scan and getting an embryon decal made locally. At least the fonts will be true and hopefully the colours

Hi Rob
Haven't forget about the Embryon apron art - will get it done this week if you still need it. (Have been on a pinball free couple of months)
Your shooter decal looks good - why not do the apron in a waterslide decal (decals are a lot thinner than vinyl)
The left and right side stripe will fit on A4 - have the join where they meet at the centre.
I don't  bother sealing the apron - The apron is pretty well protected when the glass is on.
http://www.pinballaustralia.com/waterslide.htm
Millsy
pinballaustralia.com

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2014, 07:46:26 PM »
Rob,

I've had great success with 2k clear over apron decals.

To be honest I suspect the bunnings 1k stuff may react.  Generally there is extra decal - the same material just outside of the decal.  If that makes sense.

Maybe trim a bit of the spare stuff off and spend $6.00 on a can and give it a whirl.

think I'll give that a try thank Marty and see what happens. Gotta admit this classic arcade decal is pretty ordinary in respect to keeping things authentic. The colours and font seem quite off. I would expect better from a licenced product. I did a water decal that was much better but couldn't do an A3 print and the decal material seemed thicker than what I expected. Hence trying this now. If this works ok, my next move is doing the scan and getting an embryon decal made locally. At least the fonts will be true and hopefully the colours

Hi Rob
Haven't forget about the Embryon apron art - will get it done this week if you still need it. (Have been on a pinball free couple of months)
Your shooter decal looks good - why not do the apron in a waterslide decal (decals are a lot thinner than vinyl)
The left and right side stripe will fit on A4 - have the join where they meet at the centre.
I don't  bother sealing the apron - The apron is pretty well protected when the glass is on.
http://www.pinballaustralia.com/waterslide.htm
Millsy
no worries Milsy, be interested to see the water slide decals you buy. Maybe the ones I got were thicker and not as nice. I was expecting a bit like the ones you get with model airplane kits.