Author Topic: TZ sw-26 help needed  (Read 186 times)

Offline Pajo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
TZ sw-26 help needed
« on: April 22, 2012, 05:58:21 PM »
Hi,

I've now rebuilt my TZ and only have a couple of issues left to fix.  What is bothering me at the moment is my SW-26 trough switch for detecting the power ball, which is not working... what's new I hear you saying!

The fault shows up as the switch always being closed.  The boards are both original Williams ones.

With the sensor connected, the led is always lit on the A-16534 board.  The only time I can get the switch to open (and the LED to turn off) is by removing the L1 sensor connection to the A-16534 sensor board.

I feel confident that I've established that this is not an electrical contact issue nor a sensor location issue.

Things I have tried so far are:

I've removed the 2 pin J2 connector and soldered the wires from the sensor to the board.  The same has been done on the sensor board.

Checked continuity of the sensor coil L1 whilst disconnected from the A-16534 sensor board (measures about 0.5ohm)

Tried putting 100ohm trim pot in series with L1 to give adjustment but this made no difference.

Have reflowed the solder joints on J1, cleaned the pins and reseated the connector.

Checked that the Vcc voltage is present on the board (measures at around 13.8v).

I've been testing with the sensor both in position and removed from the pf so I can isolate the sensor from any surrounding metal and then introduce a pinball easily.

I don't know if this is a faulty L1 or a problem on the A-16534 sensor board.  Can anyone tell me what the resistance of L1 should be and how to go about trouble shooting the A-16534 sensor board.

Thanks

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Re: TZ sw-26 help needed
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 10:54:33 AM »
Buy one of these:

http://mad-amusements.com/product.php?id_product=737

I have one in my game, fixes the problems and you will never have to worry about it again.

Offline Pajo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 07:59:58 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion, it was definitely an option however I discovered that it was less than $10 to rebuild the board.  As an aside, I've made a decision not to support Mad Amusements.  I've used them in the past and they have been very slow.  Since then I read this post http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/problems-with-mad-amusement which was enough to convince me to buy elsewhere.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 01:48:52 PM »
You can also get them from BAA, but anyway, glad to hear you have it sorted