Author Topic: Gottlieb Solar Ride Restore  (Read 2347 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Gottlieb Solar Ride Restore - Update
« on: March 22, 2009, 12:02:29 AM »

Playfield

I bought as much as I needed from PBR, as I was so pleased with the condition of the playfield I thought I had a good "base" that justified extra expenditure. So I bought new bumper parts, targets, lane guides as well as rubbers etc. As with all moving parts in my work, everything is rebuilt. This eliminates potential problems and give the machine the TLC it deserves !

Here's the rebuilt Target bank;

A quick progress picture as I reassemble the playfield ;

Bumper parts on "Back Order" - But I was really pleased with the playfield;

Backglass

Not too bad - except for what appears to be some fade and crackling within the score display windows. The head was cleaned, and attached to the body.

Displays were all recharged using Clay's guide (I've cheated as the game is already up and working)

I guess this machine was retired as it developed a problem with the switch matrix not working. Some switches were not registering. I troubleshooted the issue for hours - changing the switch matrix diodes, connectors etc. So I removed all the corrosion, and replaced quite a few components - as the MPU was dead initially. It was a shame - as I almost "got away" with having a system one with a working boardset.

Here's a close up of the work I did - Which was all in vain as the Rockwell "spider chip" was faulty. Lucky I have since obtained a few "non working" system one boards to cannibalize parts from !

Coin door

Remove all the parts, a quick clean and re assemble;

New shooter rod assembly as the old one was simply too rusted and tired. I ALWAYS install new flipper cab switches. They make a HUGE difference from the old pitted switch contacts.

Next Update - Playfield complete !

:D

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia