Author Topic: Kingpin A Step Closer  (Read 2735 times)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Kingpin A Step Closer
« on: May 31, 2010, 09:22:09 AM »
BBB buyers were sent a flyer to gauge interest in the possible Kingpin project. I know a couple of members here have expressed their interest in this game too. It's not limited to the BBB buyers, it was just that they were the names and addresses Gene had, and are the most likely buyers I guess from his point of view.

So if you're interested, print it off and either mail or fax it to Gene!

http://www.pinrepair.com/temp/kingpin_gene.jpg

“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Kingpin A Step Closer
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 09:28:12 AM »

Looks to be an interesting project. Love those ramp shots. Lets hope it makes production.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 01:02:40 PM »
just from looking at the PF........just doesnt look extra special to me

But of course i havent played it, maybe a great game, why does this pin warrant a re-make?

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 02:21:52 PM »
why does this pin warrant a re-make?

Not really a "remake" as such - like Big Bang Bar, this game was finished prototyping when Capcom Pinball USA was closed by the Japanese parent company. There were 13 BBB's and 9 KP then made as prototypes, of which 12 and 8 survive. Then of course the 183 BBB's which are now the stuff of legend were made by Gene Cunningham a few years ago.

Gene owns the rights to Kingpin (as he did BBB) the plan is to manufacture them - as the original lot were prototypes these aren't therefore "remakes" but a first run so to speak.

I haven't played it (aside from fooling with it on pinmame just as I did for the couple of years with BBB waiting for the real thing! :) and it seems fun - in my opinion games are more than just shot maps, they are the sum of the shots, art, theme, music, rules etc - so it's hard to say what this will be like, but it seems fun from what pinmame can convey. I've seen lots of posts on RGP over the years where people who have played both suggest KP over BBB - I've always taken those comments with a grain of salt though as there always seems to be a bit of "I didn't sign up for BBB when they were cheap" sour grapes.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 03:02:47 PM »
Fingers crossed this project can finally get off the ground

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 03:25:43 PM »
Great news lets hope there are enough cashed up people out there to fire this project into life

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 06:58:35 PM »
Good luck to them then  ()

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 07:10:56 PM »
Yep, good luck to Gene; I hope he gets enough signed up to make this a goer.

The more pinball machines the better - one day we might be able to buy one second-hand. Maybe.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 09:25:31 PM »
Here's a real one being played

Bit hard to see a lot of what's going on, but dig those ramp and loop shots!

Here's a pinmame video I just made that give a bit of an idea - sorry it's a little jittery - not enough grunt in the old box to handle pinmame and the recorder that well.

Offline madness

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 05:24:15 PM »
Looks nice!
$7g US???
Does that include the shipping or do you have to organise it yourself??
Forgive my ignorance

Offline Greg

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 05:32:36 PM »
Looks nice!
$7g US???
Does that include the shipping or do you have to organise it yourself??
Forgive my ignorance

organise it yourself,
http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/
We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 09:26:37 PM »
yes, as Greg said, organise ourselves which is what Greg and I did for our BBB's. We airfreighted them both, cost about $1,000.00 each and there's also full GST on top being new, so maybe $1,200 in duties and taxes on top. I figure it'll be a little over $10K AU when landed. A few thousand more than a new Stern. But if you've played a Capcom you will understand how the feel of these games is vastly superior.

Here's a rule sheet of sorts http://www.krellan.com/pinball/kingpin/

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 11:10:25 PM »
7000 US     8400  aussie ( on todays  rate )  air freight 1000.00 ish    gst  10 %  and gov charges   1200 ish

still cheap on what you pay now for a BBB ..

I am sure more of these will come to Australia than from the orginal order of BBB  ( 5 or 6 i believe )   mind you we have had 6 in our factory since too

damien ,tim and myself was lucky enough to see genes  one when we over there last , the playfield was sent out to be copied ....

mark

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 11:22:13 PM »
The layout of the king pin playfield reminds me alot of the artwork on the bottom playfield of stargate, with the large circles plus moons/other small circles around it.

It seems like alot of money, just for one pin, but if you are into collecting "big name" pins like cactus canyon etc, that seem to sound better on paper, than they really play, it might be worth a look.

Will it hold its value, probably.
 Is it really worth all that money like Cactus Canyon, ??? buy one and see i guess. i think BBB looks much better. Hope gene gets it going, off the ground.

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline elkor-alish

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 02:03:12 AM »
7000 US     8400  aussie ( on todays  rate )  air freight 1000.00 ish    gst  10 %  and gov charges   1200 ish

still cheap on what you pay now for a BBB ..

I am sure more of these will come to Australia than from the orginal order of BBB  ( 5 or 6 i believe )   mind you we have had 6 in our factory since too

damien ,tim and myself was lucky enough to see genes  one when we over there last , the playfield was sent out to be copied ....

mark

Did you guys get to play Genes King Pin Mark?
If so, what are your thoughts, good game?
Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.