Author Topic: Sunday Pinball Questionaire - 58 - Tonyt  (Read 3445 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Sunday Pinball Questionaire - 58 - Tonyt
« on: February 21, 2010, 09:42:07 PM »

1. Earliest pinball memory?
2. All time favorite pin? Why?
3. Favorite pinball manufacture?
4. Favorite game in your collection? Why?
5. How long have you been collecting?
6. First game and how did you find it?
7. Do you still have it?
8. What are you currently working on?
9. Most wanted game to add to your collection?
10. Best all time bargain game added to your collection?
11. Worst ever miss – tell us about the one that got away!
12. Worst ever purchase – tell us about the game you wished you never bought
13. Describe your collection
14. Describe your gamesroom
15. Do you have other games other than pinball?
16. Where can you see the hobby in 10 years

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline tonyt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: Sunday Pinball Questionaire - 58 - Tonyt
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 10:14:42 PM »
1. Earliest pinball memory?

Hanging around the local fish and chip shop that always turned over games. Remember the 20 cent pieces lined up on the playfield glass and everyone seemed to know which one was theirs. Enjoyed going to Glenelg with the family and spending time at Alladin’s Castle – breaking the old mans balls for 20 c pieces.

2. All time favorite pin? Why?

Would have to be Paragon. To me this pinball has it all, great art and great game play and the widebody really suits the game. Love inline drop targets. Will be restoring mine this year and once done it will be the last to go in the collection.

3. Favorite pinball manufacture?

Don’t have a favourite manufacturer,  collect machines based on the titles that I am interested in.

4. Favorite game in your collection? Why?

That is a hard one. I am a big Ali fan so having that pin is special to me. Paragon, for the reasons mentioned above. Really enjoying Diner at the moment. Was fortunate to pick up a very nice example from Tony Turner at the Pinball Shed recently. This is a great game, with fantastic art, great speech and good gameplay. It looks really nice sitting next to Creature from the Black Lagoon

5. How long have you been collecting?

Have not been collecting for all that long.  Bought my first game in 2005, the next in 2007 and then from October 2008 until now have acquired another seven. AP has been a big help to me, giving me confidence to give things ago as well as many great people who have helped me out with repairs, parts etc over the years.

6. First game and how did you find it?

One of my clients was an amusement operator in Adelaide. I believe at one stage he was one of the largest in Adelaide. Unfortunately his son that he was in business with died suddenly in 2004 and over the next couple of years his father gradually sold off his machines. I asked if I could buy one from him and in 2005 I purchased a Dr Dude. I purchased Terminator 2 from him in 2007. Had many an interesting conversation with him over the years. Got told the stories about taking pinball machines to the dump by the ute loads when Space Invaders came in.

7. Do you still have it?

Yes we still have Dr Dude – my son won’t let me sell it!

8. What are you currently working on?

Too many! Should be working on the machines I purchased first, but finding that I am working on my latest acquisitions first. Currently shopping out the Diner,  new legs, door, plastics etc. Will finish off Ali next, then Paragon and  that should see this year out the way I am going.

9. Most wanted game to add to your collection?

Pretty much got all the games now that I have always wanted. Just waiting for a Spirit of 76 that I have purchased from a collector that is currently in storage. I have played this game and enjoy it and thought it would be good to have an EM in the collection. Would like to add a Viking and Title Fight eventually.

10. Best all time bargain game added to your collection?

Would have to say my Gottlieb Rocky for $1,000 that Michael Shalhoub located for me. Although a project and basically without a backglass this was one of my holy grails and with only 1,504 made I did not think I would find one. Michael also located for me my other holy grail pinballs – Ali and Paragon

11. Worst ever miss – tell us about the one that got away!

Probably a Haunted House that was available locally last year for what I recall was around $2,300 for a working game. Procrastinated too long on it and it was sold

12. Worst ever purchase – tell us about the game you wished you never bought
I have been very lucky, all the people I have purchased machines from so far – that client, Michael Shalhoub and Tony Turner have all done the right thing by me.

13. Describe your collection

Mixed bag. Ali, Rocky, Meteor, Paragon, Diner, Terminator 2, Dr Dude, Creature from the Black Lagoon and Super Mario Bros

14. Describe your gamesroom

Currently a portion of the undercroft garage (see pictures) Trying to convince the wife to let me set up a room in the house with pinballs that currently has a billiard table and bar as well as signed Ali/Frazier memorabilia, but she is not keen. Hopefully she will give in and I can set this room up sometime this year.

15. Do you have other games other than pinball?

My son has Wii and Gamecube. We have a Rock-Ola Jukebox and a soccer table (not great)  as well

16. Where can you see the hobby in 10 years?

Very strong. Think with forums such as AP, all the parts that are available and that are continually being reproduced,I think the hobby is in a good position. My son is only 7 but a pinball nut. If we can pass the bug onto the kids, then this will help the hobby as well. Hopefully the Pinball Expo in Sydney will gather momentum and Allan Tate will get his project operational. All this exposure will be good as I l think there are a lot of people that would love to own a pinball machine but either don’t know how to go about it or believe they are too costly or difficult to repair

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 10:18:23 PM »
Very nice collection  ()

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 10:22:32 PM »
Thanks for sharing that. Love the Diner, really would like to get a game on one of those, I hear nice things about it.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 10:24:32 PM »

I remember the days of lining up the 20c pieces - thanks for that memory !

Lots of love for Paragon, a simply awesome pinball machine. Great collection and great read, Tony  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 11:50:40 PM »
Nice array of pins Tony!  ^^^

Thanks for taking the time to post !
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 05:55:57 PM »
Good collection of pins

Yes that diner does look sweet next to the Creature pin, well done ^^^
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 08:00:47 PM »
Great read Tony T...thanks for posting, and nice collection
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 08:00:51 PM »
Great stuff Tony  ^^^

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 11:07:51 PM »
Thanks Tony another great read and thats not a bad collection for 5 years work ^^^

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 11:23:45 PM »
Very good read, and I really like your line-up!

Good to know you can live anywhere in Australia and still put a decent collection together.

Offline bossninja17

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • sydney
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 10:46:44 PM »
Great collection. Have been watching the tourism ads for South Australia on TV lately and Mrs Bossninja says we should go one day. If we do, I'll drop her off at the shops and call past!
Wanted: GTB Aquarius backglass. Any playfield bits and backglasses from any EMs - nothing is junk to me.

Offline tonyt

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 12:07:30 AM »
Great collection. Have been watching the tourism ads for South Australia on TV lately and Mrs Bossninja says we should go one day. If we do, I'll drop her off at the shops and call past!

No probs, you are more than welcome.