Author Topic: playing Mata Hari today with review  (Read 195 times)

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
playing Mata Hari today with review
« on: November 12, 2012, 01:25:32 PM »
Im pretty excited i havent played one before, so im off to play a mata hari pinball today.
i recon ill write a review today, it seems to be pretty popular old style machine and allot of people speak highly of the title.

I honestly dont know how i havent played one before but me and the missus are looking forward to it, review coming this arvo on what we thought.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Re: playing Mata Hari today with review
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 02:47:37 PM »
As a kid, I did not play this game as I hated the backgkass
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 07:55:30 PM by Pop Bumper Pete »

Offline Cow Corner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 04:27:01 PM »
Also played it when I was a kid/teenager.
It got a few 20c coins off me thats for sure but not a pin I would want to own or play these days.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 04:42:29 PM »
well done mate, looking forward to the review..
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 04:43:15 PM »
Ok we spent our $15 on this game, thats usually our limit for pinball when we go out to play sited pins.

I have feeling it is the most cash this venue has seen on it in one sitting lol.

alright from the point of the game taking into account condition of a very old game.

the playfield is nice and the artwork and colors is good.
all though some of the art is very nazi like on the back-glass i did think the backglass was cool, if you take out the fat rolls on the lady lol, i assume this is what offends pete?? lol

the game play is very typical of that era machine, its not fast as you would expect but it certainly is a challenge.
some of the shots like the drop targets seem like they should be easy to knock down pretty quickly however there is one on each bank that seems to be a challenge and not as easy as first thought.
The pop-out bumper at the center is clever as it gives you the feeling it is going to drain, (On this machine it did because it wasnt level), but i do know that it is supposed to go slightly to your left flipper when its ejected.

great pop bumpers, this game is fun when you get the ball right in the mix of it and uses the pop bumpers on many angles. i did like that.
the flow of the game is pretty nice, the game drains down the center allot, but it rarely drained down the sides.

One way i gauge a game is by how much resistance my brain gives me as i loose a game and go to put the next dollar in, this game took our money and i kept feeding it with out any hesitations.
i did sucker both me and Libby in, The missus wouldnt leave it untill she got a good clean run.
anyways we found with this game it will kill you and some times there is an element of luck before you get a good game on it. then once that happens you get a chance to really enjoy it and then the game will stay in play longer.

the sound.
 well every one knows it is basic, but the chimes are really fun, i dont own any games with chimes but it is nice from time to time to play a game with chimes, its simple and feels like pinball should.
its fun when you build up the points and when your ball drains you get that run of chimes as your points go to the score.

rules, the rules were good, nice and easy to work out so you could figure out what you needed to do to try and get a good score, making that score happen was a little more difficult of cause lol,

its as fun as i hoped and both i and the missus enjoyed the game.

about this particular machine.
Ok, this was a sited game, i am a little pissed off at the venue, they do own the pinball machine, they dont obviously dont know pinball as there was few things that i thought were annoying, one the pin wasn't level so the center popout hole would shoot it straight down the center almost every time,they had no match feature setup, and had the shooter tip rubber missing.

the machine was in very average condition and the cab had ply delaminating and art all tatty, it was a very dodgy cab and rusty legs. the playfield was good and backglass was good. it would make a great resto as it was playing nice, i dont mind dodgy pins sited like this as long as the game play isnt effected as it does add to the fun imo but if you have a dodgy pin sited you cant charge $1 for three balls, if it was collector grade then i can understand it. the owners were a little greedy with no match and $1 for 3 balls imo.

anyways great game fun lunch playing pinball. the missus set the high score, and went away smiling.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 04:57:01 PM by Olivia_jason »

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 05:03:00 PM »
the missus playing the pin, must have been good luck taking photo she got the high score on this game lol, ^&^

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 05:11:25 PM »
whos the hot lady playing that pinball machine ?  && &&   lucky bastard.... whys it always the ugly bastards score the hot women.lol  %.% %.% %.%

well done mate (and well done for playing the cool pinny)  ^^^ ^^^ great review.  ^^^ ^^^

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 05:28:10 PM »
whos the hot lady playing that pinball machine ?  && &&   lucky bastard.... whys it always the ugly bastards score the hot women.lol  %.% %.% %.%

well done mate (and well done for playing the cool pinny)  ^^^ ^^^ great review.  ^^^ ^^^

Ahahaha lol

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 05:59:05 PM »
Great review thanks for sharing  ^^^ 3 balls for a dollar?? that sux especially for an older game!!

Mata Hari is a great old title, i used to play one @ a takeaway shop in Lake Cathie (near Port Macquarie NSW midnorth coast for those who give a shit  :D ).
This particular game, the operator had removed the chimes and fitted electronic sound  *!@ sounded very much like the early system 1 Gtb sounds to me.. the beep beep sounds, or as i call them the 'Woolworths checkout' sounds  :lol

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 06:03:42 PM »
Great review thanks for sharing  ^^^ 3 balls for a dollar?? that sux especially for an older game!!

Mata Hari is a great old title, i used to play one @ a takeaway shop in Lake Cathie (near Port Macquarie NSW midnorth coast for those who give a shit  :D ).
This particular game, the operator had removed the chimes and fitted electronic sound  *!@ sounded very much like the early system 1 Gtb sounds to me.. the beep beep sounds, or as i call them the 'Woolworths checkout' sounds  :lol

Well you would be pleased to know this machine is sited in a takeaway shop also, it's only just been added to their shop, it's a few ks away from our shop and so I'm happy the miss us beat their score lol, I'll add it to the sited pins list tonight

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 01:30:44 AM »
Game looks to be in good condition from the photo.. its a shame its not balanced right....OR.. the kickout arm needs to be bent slightly to move the ball left or right. It should kickout to the flipper not SDTM. Thats a pivotal part of the game and if off wack then takes away from the gameplay quite a bit.
I like MH.. its another EM in SS package game before SS became a genre in its own right with games like CENTAUR, SPIRIT etc.
Somewhere in pretty sure i have a backglass art for this with " tits out for the boys"..

... i would post but would hate to offend. ^.^

I reckon im going to have to make a drive to Sunshine coast and grab a burger from the infamous Mellum Munchies and do an on site pinball tour.
Possibly see you soon OJ

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 01:39:12 AM »
Game looks to be in good condition from the photo

yer it seems to be very photogenic, the pinball is very average at best in life, i did think when i posted the picture the pinball looked good in the photo.
i did however like one of the grafiti that was dug into the side. it had a year right beside the vandals name, 1983. at some point along time ago some one also tried to touch up some of the colour with a spray can judging by the runs, the paint was very cracky and wood was dried out and starting to delaminate in parts, and it looks like the bottom bits of metal screwed on to the bottom to hold it all together.
 but other than the un level game and the shooter missing the rubber tip, the game was a good player. the shop was a retro cafe so the ratty looking pin didnt look out of place and was sort of cool as it was i guess.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 01:41:21 AM by Olivia_jason »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 10:45:32 AM »
I love this game. The design lends from Gottlieb's "Spirit of 76" without the center outhole (moved to the top).

All symmetrical Bally's were winners. ANYTHING they churned out was a big earner, and the artwork of Mata Hari was the big drawcard. Even the color scheme was fantastic. Drop Targets will still the rage, and you could quickly build up your scores.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 06:45:55 PM »
my nos backglass arived from mike packard a while ago(thanks mike).
so mata hari will now get a full resto in the not to distant future.my playfied is excellent,cab is average.could do with a respray but would like to keep it original.
i have framed the old backglass and you can't see the crazing if someone is looking for wall art,let me know.
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you