Author Topic: Lights Dim when Flippers pressed, Gottlieb Sinbad  (Read 1799 times)

Offline Brettski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
  • Since I Was A Young Boy I Played The Silver Ball!
    • Strikes and Spares Restoration
Lights Dim when Flippers pressed, Gottlieb Sinbad
« on: June 27, 2015, 09:10:51 PM »
I have an issue where the lights and scores dim momentarily when the flippers are pressed or the ball hits the pop bumpers, in other words the when the solenoids activate.
This is a Gottlieb Sinbad and I am new to the workings of Gottlieb machines as up til now I have only had a Bally Strikes and Spares..

Any ideas or suggestions where I might start is much appreciated..

Cheers: Brettski... :)

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
I have an issue where the lights and scores dim momentarily when the flippers are pressed or the ball hits the pop bumpers, in other words the when the solenoids activate.
This is a Gottlieb Sinbad and I am new to the workings of Gottlieb machines as up til now I have only had a Bally Strikes and Spares..

Any ideas or suggestions where I might start is much appreciated..

Are you using a stepdown transformer?

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Do you know if ground wiring has been upgraded?
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
Yes it has a stepdown transformer and it has a new MPU and Driver Boards, there is an earth braid attached to the stepdown but sitting loose in the cabinet, looked sus bit didn't know what to do with it as the machine runs fine, other than the dimming. How can I tell if ground wiring has been upgraded?

Brettski... :)

Offline Boots

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Yes it has a stepdown transformer and it has a new MPU and Driver Boards, there is an earth braid attached to the stepdown but sitting loose in the cabinet, looked sus bit didn't know what to do with it as the machine runs fine, other than the dimming. How can I tell if ground wiring has been upgraded?

Brettski... :)

I have seen this before with stepdown transformers, it sounds like the stepdown is not powerful enough to run the machine, or the voltage output of the transformer is too low.

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
Thank you, I will look into getting a replacement stepdown unit and see how that goes and keep this one handy for a rare spare.. :)

Much appreciated.. Cheers: Brettski... :)

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Good luck with it. Sinbad is a great game, one of my favorites. 

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
Is it possible to get a power supply that accepts 240v and outputs the correct voltages to the system or is this why a stepdown unit is used in the first place.
I just figure it would be a lot neater inside the cabinet without using a stepdown as well.

Any info on this much appreciated.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Do you know the part numbers of both transformers ?

It MIGHT be a case of re tapping the transformer - but a word of warning - do do it YET - if it is a domestic game - you can't do anything except use a better step down.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Boots

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Do you know the part numbers of both transformers ?
It MIGHT be a case of re tapping the transformer - but a word of warning - do do it YET - if it is a domestic game - you can't do anything except use a better step down.

You mean USA domestic right Nino?

Is it possible to get a power supply that accepts 240v and outputs the correct voltages to the system or is this why a stepdown unit is used in the first place.
I just figure it would be a lot neater inside the cabinet without using a stepdown as well.

No you wont get one that outputs the correct voltages that's why the stepdown is being used.
You can mount the stepdown inside the cabinet, just plug the original cord into the stepdown and hang the stepdown cord out of the machine where the original cord normally goes.

I think other members have used this one:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/140922203823?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 10:40:44 PM by Boots »

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
Thanks Nino for helping out here.. Not sure on numbers but will take a look to see what I can find.. the stepdown looks older than the power supply and a bit messy, I will take some pics to show you to see if you can identify anything there. Not sure on your reference to a domestic game, it has been imported from the USA and an old stepdown added in, coin slots look unused and no mechs but hard to tell where it's been. In very good condition if it has been on location as there is no cabinet scratches/graffiti except bumps on the back box trim and apron is spot on too.. Interesting machine.. Get back shortly with some pics..

:)

Offline Boots

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Thanks Nino for helping out here.. Not sure on numbers but will take a look to see what I can find.. the stepdown looks older than the power supply and a bit messy, I will take some pics to show you to see if you can identify anything there. Not sure on your reference to a domestic game, it has been imported from the USA and an old stepdown added in, coin slots look unused and no mechs but hard to tell where it's been. In very good condition if it has been on location as there is no cabinet scratches/graffiti except bumps on the back box trim and apron is spot on too.. Interesting machine.. Get back shortly with some pics..

:)

Nino meant USA domestic, they had different transformers to the export (non USA) models

Offline Austwide

• Forum Posts:
  • Frankston
Before buying a new tranny measure the voltage at the tranny terminals and see if it drops when the flippers are used. It may be pretty quick and hard to see.
What is the size VA rating of your current tranny?
Also try measuring the voltage from the tranny terminals to the light, it should be zero or very low, if is 0.5v or more then you may have a bad joint.
If all else fails buy a new transformer.

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
Thanks guy's this is all good advice, I will test the voltages from the tranny and I might also buy a VOLTRON 240v-110 Stepdown Transformer that was recommended above as it will be a handy device to have around while playing with pinballs anyhow!

Another quick question, there is no replay knocker in this machine! Where exactly would have it been situated so I can track the wiring and hopefully replace it.

Here are the tranny pics inside the cabinet

Offline Boots

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
The stepdown transformer you have there looks like a small arcade monitor isolation transformer, not normally good enough to run a pinball machine.

The serial numbers of the transformers are on the sides, can't see them from the angle of your photo.

From the pinrepair guides:

8. Converting Gottlieb System 1 (1978-1980).

Unfortunately these games are not easily converted from 220 volts to 110 volts. In order to do a voltage conversion, a pair of transformers need to be replaced. That's the two transformers (the small and large transformers) in the bottom cabinet. The small transformer outputs 3/5/11.5/14/69 volts AC. The large transformer outputs 6.3/8/25 volts AC.

B-17921: small 100/115/130 volt transformer.
            C-17924: large 100/115/130 volt transformer.
            B-17923: small 220/240 volt transformer.
            C-17926: large 220/240 volt transformer.
            B-17922: small German 220/240 volt transformer.
            C-17925: large German 220/240 volt transformer.

The credit knocker is normally on the r/h side of the cabinet, just inside the coin door.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 12:05:27 AM by Boots »