Author Topic: Close Encounters Help needed Please  (Read 462 times)

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
Close Encounters Help needed Please
« on: January 16, 2013, 05:26:25 PM »
Guys,

I have just started looking at the Close Encounters machine I picked up a little while ago.

First problem - no power.  I have replaced the power cord as it was very dodgey.  All fuses checked and OK.  The machine was German delivered and there are a few differences  compared to my other 2 system 1 machines.  Firstly there is a circuit breaker in place of the main fuse and a German version of a line filter.  When I powered the machine on, the coin lockout coil on the coin door activated and I can hear a hum through the speaker but that is it, there is no other signs of life at all.  I have put a known good power supply board in the machine but there is no power getting to it in the first place.

Can anyone advise me as to whether the relay as pictured below is necessary at all or why it may have been installed in the first place?  I was just going to remove it and re-wire the on/off switch the same as my other machines but thought I would double check first.

Pics to come sorry, I have to make them smaller.

Addicted to pins.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Close Encounters Help needed Please
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 07:00:45 PM »
Hum through the speaker would suggest power to the sound board at least?

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 07:17:52 PM »
Sorry here are some pics.  Checked the on/off switch on my Sinbad and it only has 2 x brown wires, a blue and earth wire.  Not sure why extra wires have been added to this machine??  

The on/off switch is different as well, this one is a rocker style whereas the others are push buttons.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 07:20:43 PM by Pinister »
Addicted to pins.

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 10:22:49 PM »
Please be very careful when workig in this area, as this is all at line voltage, 240v and can be fatal if you get electricuted.  Can you take a close up of the device in bottom of cabinet in your photo above, or tell us what it says. It looks like it could be a timer??? But unsure without further info.

Regarding the on - off switch, looks like a double pole switch that switches both the active and neutral lines. 
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

• Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 10:28:04 PM »
Does the yellow and white colored wire coming out of the device with green writing (timer??) go nowhere?  Hard to tell from pics?  Be careful as this appears to be connected to 240v

• Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 10:31:23 PM »
Also if the coin lockout coil activated then the transformer is on.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 12:54:30 AM »
That white and yellow wire was connected to the two purple wires via the wire connector immediately above it, sitting next to the yellow and black wires.  It snapped off with me moving it around to take the pics.

I will take some more pics of the relay or whatever it is, only problem is that the writing is in German.  There is a diagram on the side of it though which may help to identify what it actually does.  There is also a bit of a diagram on the top, you might be able to open the pic and zoom in on it a bit.  I do have higher res. pics available, I just can't attach them to the post due to size.

I did try adjusting the dial on top of the relay but it made no difference at all.

Addicted to pins.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 01:17:55 AM »
The word ANAZUGVERZ is just that - means nothing.

The green/Blue looks to go to Mains active... 2 blacks look like a neutral, one of which is tied ( or was ) to the 2 purple wires.
Personally, id just remove the whole thing.. its not needed

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 10:15:29 AM »
Here are a few more pics....

Addicted to pins.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 10:21:48 AM »

That looks like a Timer. It is a relay that activates after a certain amount of time that is set on the face of the timer relay. I have no idea why it would be needed. You should be able to remove it.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 10:24:58 AM »
Agreed...30sec delay relay. Completely pointless and can be removed no problems

• Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 08:20:57 PM »
 $.$

Agreed this timer can be removed. It doesn't appear to be wired correctly from what I can see in pics.  It appears to have active and neutral to coil but then only has one side wired to contacts? Ie looks wiring is in terminal 2 only at top ( both wires in terminal 2) is this correct?

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 08:41:45 PM »
The thing that is confusing me is that there is the green/black wire (left hand flipper) as well as the two black wires soldered to the base plate of the on/off switch as well as the earth wire that I need to find a home for.  Any idea where I should connect these to or just leave them as is?  

Also, the two purple wires that terminate in the single plastic connector - any idea where this should be going to or has it just been cut in half to join it up to the timer?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 08:48:12 PM by Pinister »
Addicted to pins.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 08:46:54 PM »
$.$

Agreed this timer can be removed. It doesn't appear to be wired correctly from what I can see in pics.  It appears to have active and neutral to coil but then only has one side wired to contacts? Ie looks wiring is in terminal 2 only at top ( both wires in terminal 2) is this correct?

The yellow and white wire from terminal 2 went into the plastic connector that has two purple wires going into it.  The black wire from terminal 2 loops around and goes into terminal 5 of the timer.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 09:01:10 PM »
The 2 black wires going to base plate are being used as an earth ground... this plate should only ever be run to ground and seeing as it also has a green ground wire attached, id say its been used as a ground path.

You can safely join the 2 purple wires together with no issues.. you may be right, it may have just been cut to join to the white/yellow.

The black wire going to the timer can be pissed off altogether from the switch... looks like its being used as a neutral.
Green/Blue just snip off from the switch... this is now the whole relay taken out off circuit.

Im guessing here, but it looks like someone has added a 240V 30sec delay timer to the flippers ( Green/Black)... is this the power train to both flippers?