Author Topic: Pinball 2000 concept  (Read 1161 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Pinball 2000 concept
« on: November 23, 2008, 08:18:44 PM »
Does anyone reckon that P2000 will ever return in the near future? I thought the concept was not too bad but over utilized with the same repetitive shots. I still want to get a SWEP1 even though it gets bagged heaps and I tend to agree. It just lures me in and I don't get to play it much at all. Probably hate it if I owned one.

But do you think the concept has its merits and worth persueing again by stern or someone?
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline markc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
Re: Pinball 2000 concept
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 08:21:44 PM »
dont think stern or even here in melbourne    will ever make  one   how it was back in 2000
shame williams cant either  ( but can make parts)

but I believe once Nucore systems gets off the ground  this will fastly improve it. and then it might have half a chance
but cant see being made  here , would have to be a pinball factory  in USA 
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 09:00:59 PM by markc »

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 08:26:34 PM »
Who knows. Maybe Chuck (Nucore) can get his system up and running and team up with Gene from IPB and reproduce Wizard Blocks.

I doubt anyone besides the current Williams IP rights holders can just come along and start making P2K games without buying or licensing the rights themselves. That would cost big bucks and would probably mean one of the current rights holders will have to give up their rights in the process.

With the current economic climate, I don't know if it makes much sense to embark on a brand new venture to make new P2K games. That combined with the fact that the popularity of pinball is in decline amongst the general population means it may not succeed. A big risk I would have thought.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 09:25:55 PM »

Even if the parts IPB don't have rights to are re engineered, it would still be a difficult task - but not impossible now that Nucore are in town. I think P2000 has a few interesting developments that could eventuate..

It would be very exciting if our own Coconut Island Crew could sit down with Chuck and "nut" out a new game from scratch.. After all, both parties have a product that will see the light of day..
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 10:25:24 PM »
I admire what Chuck is doing (to the point of having decided to buy a P2K game as soon as Chuck releases his product), but the two systems are coming at different problems. Chuck's solves the hardware issue in those games, but I think writing code to run under it might not be possible without some of the software environment Williams had that would not be available to be used. Be great if Chuck could clarify that though.

CI uses a standard PC like Chuck (except it can run on a really low level machine) and allows rules to be written in visual basic, so anyone with a PC could theoretically program a full rule set at WPC level complexity without special software tools or skills.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Chuck

• Forum Posts:
  • Usa
    • Big Guys Pinball
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 12:18:14 PM »
I admire what Chuck is doing (to the point of having decided to buy a P2K game as soon as Chuck releases his product), but the two systems are coming at different problems. Chuck's solves the hardware issue in those games, but I think writing code to run under it might not be possible without some of the software environment Williams had that would not be available to be used. Be great if Chuck could clarify that though.

After Nucore is launched we would like to release a set of API's that would allow anyone who could program C (possibly other languages) to write code to control a pin2k machine.  Keep in mind writing pin2k software is more complex than writing software for a system like nuggy's.  With traditional pinball machines animating dots isn't that complex.  Creating animation that would be on par with rfm or swe1 requires a ton of work.  The pinball side of things would be pretty much the same though.  I have a plan for a new game that Don and I will start to tackle after release.  Wish I could say more right now but I'm sure you guys know why ;-)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 12:21:29 PM »

After Nucore is launched we would like to release a set of API's that would allow anyone who could program C (possibly other languages) to write code to control a pin2k machine.  Keep in mind writing pin2k software is more complex than writing software for a system like nuggy's.  With traditional pinball machines animating dots isn't that complex.  Creating animation that would be on par with rfm or swe1 requires a ton of work.  The pinball side of things would be pretty much the same though.  I have a plan for a new game that Don and I will start to tackle after release.  Wish I could say more right now but I'm sure you guys know why ;-)

Nice teaser, Chuck  #.#

I'd say the future is bright...

^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

Offline Greg

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 01:01:34 AM »

......is it called "Warlock triangles"

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 08:09:30 AM »
My least favourite thing i did for my electronics diploma - will have to dig out the Borland c++ notes.

My programming language is better called "Syntax error"

Offline Pinballace

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 12:09:35 PM »
Wizard Blocks would be the closest thing to getting a new P2K done.   Playing the one at Gene's gives the impression that  it's still a ways away from being a complete machine but with the right effort it could be finished.  The bad thing about WB is the legal issues and that could be a stumbling block (no pun intended).  I'm not sure if it could be done in kit form as in the playfield and software sold separate, that too I'm sure would have to pass a legal test.

-James
The ramp business was very very good to me.

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 12:11:16 PM »
......is it called "Warlock triangles"

That's funny!  :lol