Author Topic: Stargate - Awards extra ball after game is finished for high score to date!  (Read 769 times)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Just re-acquainting myself with this great game now that it's back from exile in the garage while the house was being sold. I forgot something that it does that I love - if you score a high game (not sure if it is for 1 billion plus or for top three etc) but it awards an extra ball - after you have ended the game and entered your initials! So you get let back into the game to keep going. Not sure if this is unique to Gottlieb, or to System 3, or just to this game.

Anyone else know of a game that awards an extra ball after the game is initially completed?
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Interesting - you get an extra ball AFTER your score is locked in as highest score and yet the game continues? from where it left off??

many games made with the "timed"extra ball after game end, but this normally adds to your score ( Zaccaria loved this feature),

But this is the first ive heard of an extra ball after score is locked in - nope, can think of no other game that has this

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Yep, exactly as you say. Totally game over, you enter your initials - then it grants the extra ball as an award and game resumes at the score you were just awarded for! Pretty neat actually! You know, you get to the end of one of those great games, get to add your initials, well that's a pretty good reward - but this game goes one further and lets you have another ball to really reward you. I almost want to clear the high scores to get it more often (but that 1.8 billion game deserves to be left, bugger!)
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
I was so close to buying a Stargate a few years ago but was put off by the Bally/Williams fan boys that said avoid Gottlieb DMD's. This was when I first started out and knew jack about pinball. Big mistake. Still regretting it. I hope to add Stargate to the collection one day.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 08:59:42 AM by Creech »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
I do like many B/W games, but over the years the collection has settled at -

2 B/W
1 Williams
2 Capcom
5 Gottleib

Says something, at least about my tastes!

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

Bally Medusa has an extra ball function after the last ball. The way it works is you have to drop the sequence of targets and collect the "Neptune Bonus"... Then the display in the playfield has a countdown timer that increases each time you drop the targets thereafter..After the last ball is finished, the player starts the bonus ball(s).. The timer counts down to "0", so you can have three or four extra balls, as long as there is still time on the timer - a ball is served... When the timer hits "0" and you lose the ball - its Game Over..

Great Game and easily the hardest Bally of the era !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Just re-acquainting myself with this great game now that it's back from exile in the garage while the house was being sold. I forgot something that it does that I love - if you score a high game (not sure if it is for 1 billion plus or for top three etc) but it awards an extra ball - after you have ended the game and entered your initials! So you get let back into the game to keep going. Not sure if this is unique to Gottlieb, or to System 3, or just to this game.

Anyone else know of a game that awards an extra ball after the game is initially completed?

Very cool!!

I also let a stargate get away many years ago, $1200 in very good condition.  Same story told to steer clear of the Gottliebs and go for the B/W's

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
I do like many B/W games, but over the years the collection has settled at -

2 B/W
1 Williams
2 Capcom
5 Gottleib

Says something, at least about my tastes!

So fill me in a bit, you score, enter your initials, play an extra ball and.....the revised score is then saved as the high score. Am I right? If so that sounds cool. But hey, could you imagine if there was a programming logic error and after the extra ball the system would recognize it as a new high score and reward another extra ball. The perfect game that never ends!!!
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
I haven't done it often enough to be 100% certain, but I think it only grants that high score extra ball once, but it does allow you to enter initials for the second time you obviously beat the high score you set to get the extra ball...

Picturing a snake swallowing its own tail about now....

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
I haven't done it often enough to be 100% certain, but I think it only grants that high score extra ball once, but it does allow you to enter initials for the second time you obviously beat the high score you set to get the extra ball...

still sounds like a good feature/reward for some hard work. Its really worth it for a home machine, in the field, I'd probably prefer the extra game credit.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria

Could it be a setting, extra ball awarded for Grand Champion, when it should be set for a credit award