Author Topic: Would you recognize your local politician?  (Read 458 times)

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Would you recognize your local politician?
« on: May 06, 2011, 07:42:25 PM »
Would you recognize your local politician?

Working away this afternoon, serving the customers
I had one man come in, suit and (gold) tie, remarkably upbeat for a Friday afternoon.
He placed his order, we had a little chit-chat.
Rather than whine about the weather, or work, he remarked about how much he loved this town. I agreed with him that it was a great place
Then he left.

Later

Turn on the TV, here is the same guy on the news, hosting a heritage event
He is our local Mayor!
(maybe I need to take a better interest in local events)

Nice enough guy though  *%*

So the question is, ‘would you recognize your local politician???’

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Would you recognize your local politician?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 07:46:16 PM »
Yep big bald dude with a white moustach kind of looks like the mother in law  !^!

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 07:47:13 PM »

Hmm, I don't even **know** who the current mayor is!!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 07:50:38 PM »

Hmm, I don't even **know** who the current mayor is!!

Up until 30 minutes ago, neither did I

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 07:51:57 PM »
A few years ago, we had the then leader of the state opposition, Robert Doyle (current Mayor of Melbourne) in the shop

He struck me as being an arrogant prick

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 08:48:18 PM »
Are the politicians the ones who let 180,000 immigrants in to Australia each year who cant even speak English, and over 84 percent of them are still bludging on welfare 5 years later.  !*!   I know what my local politician looks like, he's the one walking around with a stick, dark glasses and a labrador at his side.  &^&

Dont u just love paying your high taxes in Australia to support the long term dole bludgers. Sorry, but its one of my biggest pet hates.  ^.^

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 08:45:40 AM »
Hey Brett,

As an immigrant to this country myself some 16 years ago i feel i may be able to dispell a few myths for you.

I was a skilled migrant here, sponsored by an Australian company. I was to stay here for 4 - 5 years and teach an australian my skills and then expected to leave the country. Needless to say i didnt teach anyone.
During that time, i was paying medicare levvy but was not allowed to claim any.. this is for Australians ONLY

I was to be employed at all times.. there are NO benefits for immigrants.

If i lost my job, i was to leave the country immediately.

The company i worked for stole my superannuation that was meant to be paid.

After 4 years i was given 2 weeks to organise myself and leave the country.

What im ttrying to tell you here is that it aint easy emigrating.. it is in fact made very hard for you for no real reason... there are no hand outs, in fact you pay for stuff you cannot claim. And finally, speaking from experience i can assure you that immigration are absolute bastards!

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 09:02:43 AM »
Met a lovely couple (new clients) recently. Been put through hell through immigration because they came from a middle eastern part of the world. Both are physicians (which are in a massive shortage Australia wide and in particular in regional areas). I was really happy when their permanent residency was granted.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 10:28:16 AM »
I would know the faces of a few of the local politicians as they have been around for a while.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 12:08:43 PM »
U guys missed my point. Re the today/tonight show a few nights ago, it was about people who cant speak english, and have been on the dole for over 5 years.
* No one on here who has immigrated matchs that criteria.

Also Gav, thats a good point, you got put thru hell to get into this country, but why are others who cant even speak english, who have no job skills being let in, when skilled people who can speak english arent allowed in. Our political system is a joke. I have nothing against immigrants, Australia is made up of immigrants who all worked extremely hard to build this country, but they didnt sit on their bums for 5 years on the dole and parasite off our welfare system.

People who try to come here under the skilled labour application get nothing, and most get rejected. BUT like the 180,000 per annum who apply n come here for humanitarian grounds, you dont have to pass any tests, dont have to speak english, get the dole straight away and are given govt housing right off the bat. Then to rub salt into the wound, a mum n dad with 3 kids gets over a grand ($1,000) a week forever and a day on the dole. Pretty hard to get a drivers licence, or a job if u cant speak english etc. Thats why over 84 % were still unemployed after 5 years. Surely, as a tax payer, that must irk alot of people. Espescially the skilled migrant who comes here and gets zilch.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 12:57:37 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 01:24:28 PM »
BUT like the 180,000 per annum who apply n come here for humanitarian grounds, you dont have to pass any tests, dont have to speak english, get the dole straight away and are given govt housing right off the bat.

The word though of importance is humanitarian as you mention.

We're in the richest, safest tiny percentage of people in the world, and while I hate theft of the public money I pay taxes to, we really do very little compared to the numbers in need of help.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 04:18:37 PM »
Immigration is an iteresting topic, to be sure
But it is not what the OP is about  #@#

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 10:14:24 AM »

I would not know who the local member is in my electorate. I remember a few years ago, it was Peter Bachelor. I remember because he was on TV at the opening of the Bolte Bridge here in Melbourne after promising to fix our roads in the Northern Suburbs. He was the Minister for Transport. Under his regime, the road system here in Melbourne quickly became another blunder to society. It used to take 30 minutes to get into the city 10 years ago. It now takes almost an hour - this is AFTER all the road "upgrades" etc.. I can still see the smug look on his face. Little did we know that he was another slack politician, who's only interest was "plaque unveiling" and photo opportunities.

I have a dislike for politicians. The ONLY guaranteed action they take is to give themselves pay rises.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia