Author Topic: What Pin is That?  (Read 225 times)

Offline solar value

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
What Pin is That?
« on: March 10, 2011, 11:00:18 PM »
Hi everyone,

There's a Bally Lost World on ebay at the moment.  I'm sure some of you are watching it.  I'm wondering what the machine is to its right in the main picture.  It looks like there's some mermaids on the backglass.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LOST-WORLD-PINBALL-MACHINE-FULLY-SERVICED-NO-RESERVE-/200582888497?pt=AU_CoinOp&hash=item2eb3abfc31

Thanks.

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: What Pin is That?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 11:05:54 PM »
Looks like a Stern Seawitch

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 11:11:39 PM »
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline solar value

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 11:48:07 PM »
Thanks guys,

I didn't know about these early Stern games, just checked them all out on the IPDB.  What do people know about this early incarnation of Stern (1977-1984). Is it related to the present company?  Seems like the artwork on most of these games is very good, the playfield, backglass and cabinet of each machine seems to present a coherent whole unlike some of the games from other companies of this era.  The level of innovation seems to be up there too, like that ball lock maze on Flight 2000 or the upper flipper in Hot Hand, not to mention the whole concept of Orbitor 1!

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 12:14:39 AM »

Stern Inc from the late 70's was the original incarnation of Stern owned and run by Gary Stern's old man, Sam Stern. Here's a write up ;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stern_%28game_company%29

Early Stern machines we basically Bally copied of the same era in terms of electronics. Generally speaking, parts are interchangeable. The power supplys were mounted in the lower cabinet and the flipper mechanisms were different. Early SS Sterns with chimes were slow plodders, but were designed more like Williams or Gottleib rather than Bally. Bally had massive success because they had great licences to work with - KISS, Rolling Stones, Space Invaders etc. Stern were more basic, but their designs were really interesting - Dracula and Nugent. The artwork on Bally is far better. Stern released a series of widebodies that were really "out there" as compared with Bally. Bally had Space Invaders, Paragon, Future Spa, Hot doggin and Embryon. Nothing "out of the ordinary". Stern had Flight 2000, Freefall, Split Second, Viper, Iron Maiden, Big Game. These machines has a unique aspect to them which attracted the player.

The "playable" sterns - Meteor (fastest SS machine on the planet), Galaxy and Flight 2000. These machines serioiusly kick butt !

The "Collectible" sterns - Nugent, Flight2000, Freefall, Viper, Iron Maiden

As much as I love Ballys, Stern made some awesome pinballs. I wish I still had my Meteor ! Luckily I have a Flight 2000 and Freefall which I've always wanted.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Ballywannabe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 12:20:20 AM »
Yup that is a Seawitch.  IMO Classic Sterns rock ^^^  I liked them back in the day, and now own Seawitch, Stargazer, Meteor, Cheetah, Flight 2000, Quicksilver and Nine Ball.  I like the flow and the gameplay on these machines, as well as the artwork and the sound (once they adopted their new sounboard in 1979, from Meteor on).  A lot of Stern machines seemed to come into Australia and a lot over here to Perth.  This could have been due to their tie in with Leisure and Allied who assembled many of their titles here, including Cosmic Princess which was an 'Australia only' machine!

cheers
Ian

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 12:38:19 PM »
do not forget the wide body stern "cheetah" $#$
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you