Author Topic: Australian Pinball Expo 2014  (Read 12547 times)

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Re: Australian Pinball Expo 2014
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 10:04:34 PM »
I don't usually post on these threads as normally people have strong opinions one way or the other and won't listen the opposing view (regardless of what side is correct). Not judging anyone on AP or AA with this statement, just an observation.

I am going to Expo and reckon it is going to be fantastic - the main reason i am going is to catch up with people i have met through the hobby and both forums

I really think the whole forum v forum thing is nonsense. People from both forums need to calm down, forget the past and move on.

Personally - i didn't get into the hobby until more recent years, so have no baggage. I am reasonably active on both forums and don't know all the background - hence why i think it is OK not to take sides in my situation.

One thing i will say, is that the organisers of Expo have put massive amounts of effort and $$$ into it so far - one has just posted (i won't copy word for word) saying that the event is completely open to the public and is an inclusive, not exclusive event. He also stated AP was offered a stall at no cost - i am not trying to stir trouble here, just sharing some comments of one of the organisers.

For what its worth - i have met people from both AA and AP that are absolute legends and very willing to share time, experience and a passion for the hobby.  I also have communicated with a small minority members of both forums who i probably will choose not to in the future as some are plain rude and disrespectful.  What i am trying to point out is that we are all PEOPLE with good and bad points.  No one individual is a forum or sole representative of a forum, they are all real humans, and most are good blokes and chicks.

In relation to some previous comments - yes there were tickets made exclusively to some groups (not only AA, but another two groups that i think were various members of leagues or competitions). While i would not to choose to do it that way, the event organisers did, and since its their money, its their call.  Maybe their motive was to offer a reward to guys that they have a connection with through various activities??? Also probably worth pointing out that there is no reference to either forum on the expo website.

In terms of the price - to me i got a lock in ticket (still available to anyone) and see value in it as it will be a chance to hang around likeminded people and some very good friends i have made through the hobby and play some pinball - i suspect i will do a lot more yarning than playing. To me, $30 is pretty good for a full day. Comparing to the Gold Coast club (been twice - awesome event) which is $15 from memory for 4- 6 hours, its pretty comparable - plus having such a wide variety of machines from the 40's through to now as well as some super rare titles is an opportunity that not many of us hobbyists get very often.

Anyway, they are a few of my thoughts and i respect other peoples opinions as well as the fact there may be underlying issues of which i am unaware.

I'm looking forward to heading down to Sydney in a couple of days and having a blast!