Author Topic: STTNG Proto Coils  (Read 176 times)

Offline Skyntara

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
STTNG Proto Coils
« on: July 25, 2011, 11:05:34 PM »
Hi Guys,

When I got my fish tales a while back I was a bit disappointed to find it had the wrong coils. Got some nice new 11629s and a flipper rebuild kit and she feels amazing.

Fast Forward to today and I bother to check the coils on my STTNG. According to the manual they're wrong, they should be 11629s like the FT. However I looked up the coils that are in it - FL-17636 and found out these are more powerful prototype coils.

They certainly don't feel more powerful than the shiny new coils in my FT. Just wondering if a flipper rebuild will make them happy again or if I should replace them. (Can coils even wear out???). If I do replace them has anyone got any opinions about the difference between the standard and proto coil power. Obviously I want the game to play how it was meant to, however easy or hard.

Cheers

Clancy

Offline Greg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
Re: STTNG Proto Coils
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 05:08:06 PM »
the coils may just need the sleeves replaced Clancy ( but if your going to be pulling the flippers apart you might as well do a rebuild )

chances are the coils are fine ( as far as I know the 17636 were made as protos for STTNG - but didn't go into production games)
I suppose the thing you have to be careful of is if the stronger coils are a little to strong and cause breakages on your plastics and so on

there's a few members that have STTNG  so the answers you get should be interesting
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 06:36:48 PM by Greg »
http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/
We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinmadd

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 06:34:39 PM »
FL11629 in mine ^^^

Offline Replicas

• Forum Posts:
  • North West England
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 06:37:07 AM »
Be warey
The manuel was not allways correct on what coil the machine should have.
Quite a few machines as I recall were said to have a different flipper coil.
D.

Offline Skyntara

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 07:43:28 PM »
Well the FL-17636 were only ever made for STTNG and only the proto machines at that so there's definitely no mistakes there. The 11629 are quoted as the standard coil in every location I've found so that also seems quite reliable.

Just wondering what people's experiences are.