Author Topic: How much to spend on resortoring a machine  (Read 818 times)

Offline newpingirl12

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
How much to spend on resortoring a machine
« on: May 26, 2011, 10:35:32 AM »
SO, I have found on eBay a Data East Simpons machine. Not what I exactly wanted (really want a Simpsons Pinball party but hey I'm not rich). Anyway, they are wanting $3,500 for it which I think is crazy when I just miss out on a fully restorated machine for $4,500. I believe in no way you could restore this machine for $1000. Plus I would be out sorcing the work.

I want to send the seller some questions, what are the things I should ask? I can see there is a fair bit of ware & tear around the bottom flippers. I don't mind spending money on a restoration I just want to get the machine at a reasonable price. Thoughts?

Tash !@#

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: How much to spend on resortoring a machine
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 11:11:09 AM »
I sold my D.E Simpsons a couple of years ago for $2200.  It was in VGC and NO wear on playfield.

The D.E Simpsons is OK, but I think only worth around the $2000 to $2500 mark.  Privately they come up for sale and generally around that price.

A rough guide for restoration costs - to pay a 'backyarder' to fully rebuild the machine properly and 'shop' the game out you would be looking roughly around the $450 to $600 mark for labour and parts.  If a playfield needs touching up, this is a difficult process and there is only a handful of people doing it in Australia.

It pays to shop around and see what ALL the commercial guys have and are offering price wise and compare those to what are on offer for private sale.  Definately have a look under the hood of the machines and ask lots of questions before you hand over the cash.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 11:49:18 AM »
Personally I would buy from Ebay as a last for your 1st machine .
Members here are always selling machines in good nick at very good prices.
There are also good deals to be had from Mark C (http://www.pinballs-australia.com.au/) who is in Melbourne or Tony at the Pinball Shed in Brisbane .   
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 12:19:28 PM »
Marty is "spot on" - the term "backyarder" is often used to describe restorers and technicians who don't work for commercial resellers. In most cases, "backyarders" do a much better job and often set the standard that the commercial guys envy. "Backyarders" is usually just another name for a "Hobbyist" or "enthusiast".

Case in point is Marty's example - a Dealer Simpsons for $3500 VS a restored "backyarder" Simpsons for $2200. I've seen Marty's work and it is better than any dealer could possibly achieve.

Buying a reconditioned Pinball is exactly the same as buying a second hand car. Do your homework and ask heaps of questions.

If you see wear on a DE Simpsons, chances are the game was used heavily in its route days as wear on Data Easts is not normal. Sounds like it may need playfield touch ups which is expensive and time consuming.

Best thing to do is work on a budget, go have a look at what ALL the dealers have in their inventory and make an informed decision. PLAY each machine and look for broken ramps, bad touch up work, all toys present & working, all lamps and rubbers replaced, flipper kit installed, cabinet clean and that the game has the correct legs.

Have a look in the "Restoration" section. Plenty of games that "backyarders" have restored or reconditioned !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 01:07:27 PM »
Also - the first thing you need to work out is what machine you really want, then a budget on top of that.  In Melb there are the commercial dealers which have show rooms and pins set on freeplay.  Its a good idea to go and play as many machines as possible, and to be fair in my experiences ALL the Melbourne guys are very good with this and don't put the hard sell on you.  QLD have a few dealers and SYD I'm not 100% sure of.

If you have a budget, make sure to look at what titles are available and don't go by prices you see on eBay.  If you are keen on a certain title - ask on here and most of the members will give you a good idea as to the price range.

Have a look in the restoration section and you'll get a good idea of what can be done...I think a member here Beaky (Andrew) had a couple of machines for example - Star Trek Next Gen and a Last Action Hero and you can see the fine work which us 'backyarders' can achieve with some hard work and passion.

Offline Greg

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 04:01:25 PM »

the things I would want to know are -
restored how? by who?
what did they do to restore the game?

the DE Simpsons can be picked up for around 2000 - 2200 then played for a year and probably resold  for about what you paid
but if your going to buy a 2000 game put another 1000 or more dollars into it then your probably going to struggle  to recoup your $$$ if and when you decide to sell,

as Marty  said you need to go out and look, touch, take a few pics, play and ask ? as there are better 2000 dollar games out there  than the DE Version of the Simpsons ( and don't buy the 1st title you come across.... thats a big rookie mistake)

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 04:11:44 PM »
absolutely agree, dont buy the first thing you find.  If you really want a Simpsons pinball party and only have room for one pin, save up and buy one, it is a great game for the money, but there are better games for the same price, you could even buy 2 great games for the same price.  You just need to set a budget and go out and play a heap of different games at a local dealer, bumper action for example has a great setup in the city, I'd start there and then look around.

Offline newpingirl12

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 04:39:15 PM »
Thanks guys that is really helpful!!  ^^^

I just spoke to Marc and we're going to go down and have a play to see what we like

FYI he just sold the Simpsons Pinball Party  ^.^ but then again I didn't have $6,500...... booooooo

Good points... it would be nicer to have 2 machines for that price.... !@# need to plat a few more me thinks....

Offline mildflame

• Forum Posts:
  • Barossa Valley
    • Mildflame.com
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 07:56:35 PM »
Every machine has its different value, One place you can check is pinpedia: http://www.pinpedia.com/
Keep in mind that values of Pinball Machines can go up and down depending on how many machines Collectors import into your area from overseas, and of course the condition of the machine. Marc should be able to find somthing for you and NOT make you pay extra
Check out my website: http://mildflame.blogspot.com.au
Happy reading!

Offline newpingirl12

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 09:55:55 AM »
Every machine has its different value, One place you can check is pinpedia: http://www.pinpedia.com/
Keep in mind that values of Pinball Machines can go up and down depending on how many machines Collectors import into your area from overseas, and of course the condition of the machine. Marc should be able to find somthing for you and NOT make you pay extra

Thanks, that's a GREAT website!!!

Off topic I just spoke to the agent about a house we're looking to purchase. Looks like we'll have somewhere to put the pinball machine  $#$

Offline jumpback

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 05:03:09 PM »
I am also looking for my first buy, thanks for all the suggestions

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 06:27:55 PM »
I am also looking for my first buy, thanks for all the suggestions

Send a message to member MartyJ who has some very nice games for sale, a particularly nice Taxi for $1800 for example could make a nice first pin.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline elkor-alish

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 08:10:16 PM »
I think the best advice, if you have your heart set on a particular machine, is to wait.
Don't rush into anything. A really nice one will come up. You just have to wait for it.
Trust me, it will show up.
Keeping your eyes on this site is a great way to find machines in great condition for very reasonable prices.
Markc is a good place to start looking too though.

To answer the topic heading "How much to spend on restoring a machine". How deep are your pockets?
I've spent a fair bit on a couple of my machines but only because they were a low product or I didn't think I'd be able to find them again.
When it's a keeper, I would easily spend $1000+ on a favourite pin.

Good luck ^^^
Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 09:55:32 AM »

You will have access to the Trading section once you have made 20 posts. Then you will be able to see the games members are selling. MartyJ's Taxi is definitely one to look at.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

Offline raresaturn

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 10:02:26 PM »
I'd better get my post count up then...i'm also looking for my first pin  *%*