Author Topic: Data East Star Wars High End Restoration  (Read 25876 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Data East Star Wars High End Restoration
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2018, 11:54:25 AM »
It sounds like what usually happens when one modifies from the original design - problems causing more problems. Will this additional testing and fixing of modded components ultimately cost more to the client or have you just absorbed it? Still willing to take on modified restos in the future or more apprehensive?

Mods are not part of the pricing or absorbed into the initial cost of the machine. This machine has had a number of mods that have significantly affected the stability of the machine. My process is to have the game 100% working and stable before adding any mods. I then will add a mod and then test. If there's an issue, I need to rectify. and then move on to the next mod. In this case, there were issues with the Pinsound (factory issues) that took a while to rectify. The factory power supply had an unstable +%5 with all the mods. The replacement Rottendog +12V could not even run the Pinsound with the Topper installed. The +12V runs the colour DMD, speaker panel lights, topper and Pinsound. So even adding one mod can cause an issue, but adding 4 mods just is not going to work. Not even a dedicated power supply providing +12V directly to the Pinsound will work, as you need the +5V from the Game's power supply - not the external. So it gets really complicated. For this reason, the decision was made to use the +18V for the Pinsound board as the voltage will be rectified to +12V.

If I ever had to do the same configuration, it would be easier as a lot of the process on this game simply has never been done on another game. But I've kept a diary on the process. This is a "one of a kind" game which several collector's have commented that it looks far better than the new Stern Star Wars.

I have several more games with similar mods in the pipeline. I'm happy to install the mods, but the time I spend on them is a separate cost.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia