Author Topic: Data East Star Wars High End Restoration  (Read 25860 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Data East Star Wars High End Restoration
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2018, 07:32:49 PM »
At the end of the road for this restoration. Before the final update and pictures, here's a breakdown of the technical sides of things. The hardest part of the resto was to find the right balance of mods. This is the heaviest modded machine I've done, and there was a lot of time, effort and troubleshooting. The main issue was the 12V line. It was hogged by the colour DMD, speaker panel LEDs, OCD PCB, Topper and the Pinsound board. Researching the issues had me following a number of possible solutions, and one was to install an independent Power Supply JUST for the pinsound. That didn't work, as you still need the +5V from the machine's power supply. The factory Power Supply simply could not handle the load as it was - and you HAVE TO use the +5v from the PSU. It will not work from an external source. The 12V circuitry on the pinsound board gives us a clue, and it is possible to use the +18V from the power supply. The clever guys at Pinsound must have known this, as they had a "booster" cable that tapped into the 18V line. The Rottendog power supply was left in the game, and the Pinsound board and the speaker LEDs could be run from the booster cable. Now we have PERFECT sound. Beforehand, the sound was cutting out and the interactive topper was causing issues. Now it is all perfect.

So there's a LOT going on in the headbox, as per the photos. Cable management is not perfect yet, but it is getting there..
NV RAM installed and the latest ROM. Custom sound package. Very busy in the headbox.

Under the hood ;

Everything is rebuilt and I had to replace the lamp sockets in some areas and rewire some sections. Overall, very happy.

New flipper coils and kits mandatory for this level of restoration.

Mains inlet section rebuilt with new, stronger fuse holders. Cleaned up the cover and installed a new warning label !
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 07:36:45 PM by Strangeways »
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia