Author Topic: Some playfield questions  (Read 255 times)

Offline FirePower

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
Some playfield questions
« on: September 09, 2009, 10:32:20 PM »
I have a pin which is absolutely filthy, so I'm stripping it down for a descent clean up and polish. I have browsed and read large sections of the restores described here and think I can get my way through it all, But I have a few questions that I'm unsure about so, if anyone has any thoughts or comments I'd appreciate any tips on the following.

1. There are a few inserts that need to be levelled to the playfield.  These are under mylar, so do you you remove the mylar first.  I'm a bit nervous about paint damage with lifting the mylar. Is it a silly idea to trim the mylar just from above the insert?

2. I have stripped most of the hardware of the playfield and am planning to take the playfield to a colour matching machine and use acrylic paints. After painting is it normal to put mylar over the patch up or do you just allow the paint to dry and then wax?  I  plan to put at least a mylar ring around the bumper.   

3. The plastics around the top arch have a few metal guide tubes that space them up about an inch above the playfield. These guides seem to be tightly pressed into the plastic. They don't pop out easily, so I'm planning to leave them in the plastic as I flatten them with heat and weights.

4. There are a few nails that seem to prop up plastics and redirect rubbers slightly away from globes here and there. They don't look original and I'm planning to flatten the plastics so I have removed the nails.

5. Are wire guides glued into position or just a tight fit?

6. The wooden guide pieces that are screwed onto the edges of the playfied like the shooting lane (and others) seem to be covered in a plastic - is this normal. They look a bit false and I wonder if it would look better varnished?

Some pictures of the items follow.

Thanks for any tips or guidance.

Offline FirePower

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
Re: Some playfield questions
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 10:36:12 PM »
one more pic

Offline JD

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
  • There's no law against having fun, just yet!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 10:59:30 PM »
Gorgar! Great Classic Pinball!

Question 1 I will leave to others as this is well documented on this forum.
Q 2 I would put Mylar over the paint.
Q3 dont know what you mean about metal guide tubes? Do you mean the threaded posts?
Q4 dont recall nails in this machine just threaded posts or screw thread posts.
Q5 just a tight fit.
Q6 yes it is normal. It is like contact. Mine was Ok so I left it. Over to you but would look OK.

J.D.
There is no law against having fun just yet (but I am sure they are busy are drafting one!)

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 11:03:51 PM »
I will answer where I can........

1) Did that with a Williams Flash - I cut the mylar very neatly inside the black edge, I heated the insert with a hair dryer until I could push it out from below - I actually heated the insert in an oven an re-flattened it ( yes it is possible to do ) - I then glued it back in level with the PF mylar and re-blacked the edge- worked quite well. Not sure if it is " the right thing to do" but it can work.

2) Individual choice as far as I see it.

3) I think I know the post you mean , you are talking about this 'tubular' post that sits under the plastic ( yes? ) Its been a LONG time since I did one but I THINK you can VERY carefully pry them out and then flatten the plastic , you kind of have to slowly manouver it around in circular motions and it works its way out of the plastic - then pop them carefully back in later -more member advice with more recent experience would be suggested to answer this correctly.

4) I used to remove them, flatten plastics and NEVER put them back in - again , personal choice.

5) Pushed in tight , they have extra little bits of steel moulded to thier 'legs' that help them 'grab' the wood. Pry them out SLOWLY or you can end up bending them as one end pops out.

6) I think I know what you mean , its like an old cheap VERY thin veneer. I replaced my entire strips of wood in those old games with brand new pine from the hardware and stained it before installing it. Its cheap and you can get a size VERY close ( within a mm ) of the original timber size in the machine.

Hope this helps a bit.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 11:10:49 PM by Wotto »
DW Drums rule !

Offline FirePower

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 11:22:08 AM »
Thanks for the replies I appreciate the tips, and Wotto, yep those are the stand-off posts I was talking about.

Would you have a photo that shows the lower pop bumper from the shooter lane side?  I have a bit of pf wear to touch up in that area.

Thanks.   

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 11:59:20 AM »
Hmmmmmmmm - cant recall- let me have a look over the weekend for you  ()
DW Drums rule !

Offline JD

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
  • There's no law against having fun, just yet!
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 08:22:03 PM »
Try these. If you need any more, just let me know..

J.D.

^^^ ^^^
There is no law against having fun just yet (but I am sure they are busy are drafting one!)

Offline FirePower

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 08:58:15 AM »
Thanks - that's a very clean playfield compared to mine!

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 12:08:57 PM »
I have this one form a slightly higher angle too 

Bigger version of it here - http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/1184/img2322x.jpg
DW Drums rule !