Author Topic: Chrome Leg rust removal and polishing  (Read 6724 times)

Marty Machine

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Chrome Leg rust removal and polishing
« on: December 06, 2008, 04:23:16 PM »
Hi All,

Just an add-on note, i use "Oxalyc Acid" (ox-el-ik) for rust removal of any severity.

Soak your rusty parts in this stuff, and they come back out chrome.
This will also get deep inside threads and eat the rust away, freeing up any bolts that are otherwise a challenge.

Don't be fooled the by term "acid" though, this won't attack stickers or paint or anything BUT rust, neat huh?

I used this a lot to restore old collectable bike frames & parts that are chocolate brown with rust, and come out chrome again.

Of course if your chrome has become flakey and lifting it'll only eat rust away from under the chrome, but at least you can then see how severe the damage is.

You can find Oxalyic Acid at Bunnings & Home Hardware, and it's usually in the garden furniture/restoration section.
It's primary use is to remove rust stains out of outdoor bbq furniture when the metal framework rust-stains into the woodwork.
You can sometimes find it in the paint/chemical/cleaning sections, but it seems to differ from store-to-store.

Also note, this stuff comes in small plastic bottle in liquid form (mild) and in larger bottle in 'flake' form (like chrorine) where you mix it into a tub of water depending how strong you need it.

I usually let my bits soak overnight, or even 2-3 nights until i'm happy that all rust has gone.
You'll also notice a white & green foamy buildup on the water surface, this is normal - green is good ;-)

It might be a good idea to throw in some sacrificial bolts and parts in first, to get an idea of what it can do for you.

Hope this helps.