Author Topic: Atari Superman restore  (Read 5837 times)

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Re: Atari Superman restore
« on: March 20, 2019, 10:12:01 PM »
Beautiful machine and an awesome resto so far mate. Lucky the cabinet is in such great shape. The resto I've been working on was a complete and utter disaster. I had to replace the entire side, so I'm glad you only had to deal with the back panel. Backglass is perfect - playfield is VERY nice. This will be an awesome resto when done. I can't remember a nice superman, but I like it so much I bought my own - more as a reference for the one I'm restoring. I am a bit concerned that the CPU board might give me headaches - happy yours is working ok.

Thanks Nino.. Damage was way worse than what i pictured in the thread, didn't get as many pictures as i should have  @.@
The pictures really didn't tell the whole story with this game (not enough pics), one side of the cabinet had about a quarter of the top layer of ply lifting and gluing wasn't possible, at one point i was going to look for some wood veneer to replace the whole top layer, in the end i cut out the bad sections and filled them. And that side was the one with the least visible damage.. the side with the artwork all but gone was actually the best and needed the least amount of work!!

As i mentioned, with the backbox i removed and replaced the top 6mm of the sides, and 3mm of the outer layers of the back panel, glued, then cut out the lock holes and ventilation slots with a router. This was EASILY the WORST cabinet i've ever had to restore.. the ply Atari used really was CRAP and i'd be a happy camper if i never had to restore another Atari cab  ^&^

And yes i was lucky with the boards with this game and really dodged a bullet with the MPU.. The ONLY reason i took this game on was because it actually worked! though i did have to do some work on the driver board to resolve an issue where about eight lamps were not working (one of the 4099 latch ICs was bad.. sorted that out today).

Only other issue is a bad display with some segments missing.. not much i can do about that as its in the LEDs themselves and not the board. Customer is going to have to try to find a spare display (don't much like his chances unless someone reading this has one)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 10:22:41 PM by Mr Pinbologist »