Author Topic: USA Travel Thread - The Bert and Wotto show begins - for anyone interested.....  (Read 12831 times)

Offline Cursed

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
Reciprocal looked awesome! way more machines than i was expecting.

We got to our corner and I had to shove Kayla out of the way of a walking Zombie - this dude all in black , in a black hoodie, SLOWLY swaying and staggering towards anyone that came near him...........I doubt HIGHLY that we will be buying a good old I LOVE NY shirt  &^& - this place is seriously like The Walking Dead ( which we both watch and keep referring to )

Yeah ok that is just getting scary, what the hell?!?

I wanted to go to The Guitar Centre on 14th Street anyway and this place was just 2 subway stops, 3 stabbings, 4 spit dodges, 3 shootings and 26 street bums down the road , so I figured we could get there - and did.

Haha, quote of 2013!!

Just missing the partridge!

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
Morning guys

While you were all sleeping last night - we made ( well I made ) my final Warriors journey.
One of the ultimate locations to stand in from the movie - Coney Island,  which is actually in Brooklyn, a subway ride of around 25 stops and 45 minutes in length from Mid Manhattan.

Today the subway cars were MUCH lighter in 'people traffic' on the way there , and Coney Island is a 'turn-around' station - the end of a line, so people got less and less as we approached our destination.

Again , for warriors fans, the train station that you go to is Stillwell Ave - it is seen at the VERY beginning of the movie with the train coming around the bend on approach to the station with the famous Wonder Wheel in the background. It is seen again at the end of the movie when The Warriors get home and get off the train at Stillwell Ave Station just before the well known " 3 bottles scene " starts and the final scenes on the beach.

Today - we touched sand - and were overjoyed :lol

With less than 18,000 people per carriage I was able to take some photo's to hopefully give you an idea of what the trains are like.

If you get on a train and THINK you mat have boarded the wrong train - it's EASY to work out very quickly as they all have these digital sign boards that show you the LAST stop and the other stations change along the way. On top of that they pre-announce all next stops on approach - it REALLY helps.

My plan today was to visit Coney and then go back and walk across The Brooklyn Bridge - another lifelong memory Kayla and I could share.
Well guess what - the frickin thing is ................you guessed it....................COVERED UP !
WTF is with covering EVERYTHING I wanted to see in this place FFS
We just laughed about it.

Here is one of the more scenic rail stations along the way - yes folks this IS a platform.

And the locals get to live nice and close to the tracks - how AWESOME would this be !

Nearly there babe - dont fret ..........

In the meantime I decided to be just like a local

And can you believe it - this is on a subway car on the NY subway system !
FINALLY, FINALLY nobody else around and just a little bit of peace

Anyway Warriors Fans........we soon rounded that bend from the opening scenes in the film , on approach to Stillwell Ave Station

And I was finally here - it probably seems truly pathetic to come all this way and part of it to see this ( basic and bland stuff ) but if you are hooked by the movie , then you wouldnt think so........the locals here STILL talk about it quite a bit and ALL knew about it when I asked them.

As soon as you exit the station you see the World Famous Nathans Hot Dogs - this is where they hold the annual hot dog eating contest on the 4th July  - we do get coverage of that on our Aussie news stations normally.

MOST of the streets around Coney Island look like this
The area IS FAR from attractive

But here I was - with The Wonder Wheel

Kayla even got in a shot with the damn thing

We hit the beach and touched the sand and felt MILES away from the insanity that is Mid town Manhattan.
I did my best hispanic homey impersonation, if only I had a hairnet hey !

And got arrested !

Meanwhile Kayla just lost it mentally

Coney Island does have a WHOLE history of its own, the Warriors is a VERY VERY small part of it.
I have to say that despite what the area 'looks like' - the people here were FANTASTIC and friendly, very much like the West Coast US citizens I have encountered and nothing like the Manhattan residents - they made us feel welcome and actually SPOKE to us.

We had lunch in Toms Diner ( different to Seinfeld - just the same name ) and we sat at the counter , very US style. The guy in there Joe handed me a book on the history of Coney Island and then proceeded to tell us all about the history of the entire area , even down to he indian tribes there in 1492 and LOADS of other stuff, he was a VERY decent man and I enjoyed talking to him, his name was Joe if ANYONE ever comes here , he knew loads about The Warriors and was able to point out to me where some 'cut scenes' that I knew about were filmed on the boardwalk.

REALLY enjoyed it.

On the way back the subway was again PACKED - then this frickin bad lookin dude gets on and stands RIGHT in front of me ( we were seated ), he has his I-Phone blasting music about how the nigger rules ( excuse that BUT thats what it was saying ) and he himself is bopping and singing LOUD and it was that close to me my knees were touching his legs - it was pretty nasty and I asked Kayla if she wanted to change cars at the next stop, she said yes......and guess what ( remembering our great time thus far )..............the train DIDNT STOP for the next 3 or 4 stations , the ONLY stations that got skipped the ENTIRE 45 minute trip - of course
DW Drums rule !

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
Hey Swinks

Couple of pics for you

3 wheeler as requested

And a nice sign they have on their subway cars  ^^^

And this one AINT for you Swinks - but I am sure the 'owner' will recognise why I posted this  :lol

DW Drums rule !

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
Awesome coverage so far Wotto.
Loving the Warriors tour ( Classic movie for that era,even my kids enjoyed it)
Glad yous made it to Coney Is, Is the roller coaster operating ?
pinballaustralia.com

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Thanks for that photo Wotto, gave me a laugh imagining a hot pursuit with a 3 wheeler going round a corner - Mr Bean style.

Enjoying the photos, I would have been stoked to see the beach (sand), are you going to hit JJP?
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline tonyt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Great write up mate.

Lol re the thongs mate, but they don't look upto your standard, pretty dirty.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Great write up mate. Although I can't help but think that I won't visit NY because it sounds like an unwelcoming place. As you know, I HAVE to go to a show at MSG, but I think I'd skip the rest !

I still have a hard time coming to grips with people spitting all the time.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline coon82

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
I'm a bit behind on this one......only just got up to speed! Great read, and photo's - love the humour.

Thanks for taking the time to share the experiences on your trip -  the good, the bad and the ugly.

^^^
Wanted:   Black Hole (1981Gottlieb)

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
Glad yous made it to Coney Is, Is the roller coaster operating ?

Yes for sure mate - that would be this one

It's been around approaching 100 years

When you see the condition of the rides there was no way I was going to ride a 1927 coaster here  @.@
Check out the safety standards at the top of thier tower drop ride  #@#

DW Drums rule !

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
I love this thread!
Great write up and pics.
Thanks very much for shaing your trip with us all.
 ^^^
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 10:22:33 AM by Cow Corner »
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
Here in LA it is 8.30am Monday morning
Here is Bert RIGHT NOW

So here was out last day in NYC - and how typical.

Spend the day at liesure -packing cleaning etc.
Go to take garbage downstairs - lift get stuck ( only for about 1 minute but we SHAT ourselves completely )
Exit building and a hobo stumbles into us.

Kayla says if we can just get a donut or something - we go to Dunkin Donuts.
Coffee and Donuts - sit down.
2 minutes later this woman sits down next to us all scratchy and jumpy - eating ice cream and spilling it everywhere - then she pulls out about 30 credit cards from her wallet and starts yelling at them to stop pressuring her !
WE LEFT IMMEDIATELY.

Call our car company - it actually worked and we were collected at 3pm on the dot.
On the way we are swerving on the freeway - I look in the rear view and the guy ( I reckon ) is FALLING ASLEEP !
So I start a conversation with him to keep the ******* awake

We actually make it to JFK alive.

We pull up at the kerb and ( no joke ) as soon as the car stops this young guy is standing outside our window and slags a big gooley down in front of us.
I just look at Kayla and go 'YEP !"

We board the plane , we taxi to runway - we both say GOOD FRIGGIN BYE NYC and smile.
Then the announcement comes on.
We have a problem !
OMG this city HATES US.

So we taxi back in and get the electrical issue in the tail of the plane ( great hey ! ) sorted out.

6 hours later we arrive at LAX - Kayla is still heading to Sydney.
I get about 4 nice conversations with the fantastic LA people and NYC can KISS MY ARSE !

Off to collect hire car and hopefully find Bert in Anaheim in around 3 hours at the hotel.
DW Drums rule !

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
Nice one mate! You start to appreciate us friendly Aussies once you are in NYC for some days.
The city that never sleeps, sounds like a description of their cab drivers.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Let the pinball begin and your trip get even better.

It sounds like NY was a bitter sweet trip, overall how would you rate it?
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
SWINKS - I rate NY City a 0.5 out of 10 mate - AWFUL.

US Customs let this guy in :o
Yes it is BERT.
14 arse burning hours in a tiny seat and he makes it here and we manage to meet up without issue.

I drove 40 minutes to the hotel by myself - I have driven here numerous times and was comfortable - very comfortable
Today I drove ALONE for the 1st time and was sweating like a fat chick in a sauna , I took a wrong turn and ended up in Disneylands carpark - the guy said it happens all the time.

Anyway - we made it - and within an hour BERT wanted to go dress shoping :lol

Anyway - we are off for the night to one serious collectors house at Newport Beach.
UNSURE if I will allowed to post any images - I will ask and do whatever the guy wants.
DW Drums rule !

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
HEY PUNTER

I bought you a gift today  #@#

*)* *)* *)* *)* *)*
DW Drums rule !