Author Topic: Earthshaker transformer  (Read 1212 times)

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Re: Earthshaker transformer
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2009, 06:54:54 PM »
OK, transformer and new rottendog power supply board are in and not smoking when powered up!! :D :D :D

My next challenge is to address the issues on the display board and interconnect board.

Firstly, the u20,15 and 10 chips are either cracked or fried  U15 and 20 are 7180 and u10 is a 4049 - unsure on availability of these - hopefully Jaycar or someone in Townsville stocks them so i can grab them tommorrow.

As you can see, under the display board (see 2nd pic) someone has been pretty nasty with a soldering iron - hopefully the jumper on top (1st pic) will work with the new ic's.

2nd issue is the interconnect board - some dweeb has soldered wires (3rd pic) where the plugs went in, so i will have to grab some connectors.

On the 4th pic you can see a heap of jumper leads, i guess i will make sure these are all going to the right spot.  Should i replace the pins on the board where they have obviously got hot?

I'll get to cleaning things up and desoldering ic's that need replacing tonight.  Let me know if you have any suggestions...

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2009, 07:09:05 PM »
 *!@

That is some 'nasty' soldering.

I would suggest firstly to get a hold of the schematics and try to double check this yourself.  Given the 'quality' of some of the soldering I personally would be double checking EVERY repair.
Jumpering is fine as long as it goes to the right pin.  Going by the pics I'm not sure all of that is fuse damage.

Either way those pins need to be replaced.  In theory I wouldn't have thought a display board should get that 'hot'.  However running on the theory of the way the powerboard blew out, I am still betting on a surge.

I'll see what you may be able to use from my Police Force boards.

I would suggest - if you cannot repair (cost effectively) to consider a LED replacement.  But certainly go for repair first.

Is your CPU board booting ok?

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2009, 07:12:06 PM »
Oh,

In relation to the components you want.  From memory a couple can be replaced via Jaycar but the others should be available from the wonderful sponsors here...

If not I can recommend Ed @ http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/

Excellent service, fast postage.

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2009, 07:14:22 PM »
Thanks Marty,

Have got to grab a few fuses tommorrow, so will check if the CPU boots then.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2009, 07:22:47 PM »

Some nasty repair work there.

I would be trimming those tracks that have lifted - they will only curl up and you will have all sorts of problems. Use an exacto knife or similar
Replace those pin connectors
Remove the chips you believe are fried, clean up the solder mess and solder in sockets. Install the chips again - UDN7180 are VERY hard to find, 4049 should not be.
Simply clean up the flux off the repairs - maybe remove the solder and resolder
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2009, 08:06:39 PM »
What is the part number on your display?

My PF one is D-11232-2 (16-8850-226).

I've replaced U7, U8, U9, U10, U11 & U12.

From memory there was only one bad UDN7180 otherwise in good shape.  No jumpering on mine, just socket work.

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2009, 08:12:54 PM »

Display board is D-12232-1   16-8850-234

Will certainly solder sockets in anywhere i replace.

Thanks for the tip on cleaning up tracks

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2009, 08:13:43 PM »
EEEWWWWWWW   talk about a hacked board some dodgy work there. Imsure you will get it sorted out

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2009, 08:16:12 PM »
Hmm, I suspected they may be different.

I would hate to scrape a 98% working display for a couple of UDN7180's!

See how you go.  At least you'll know your voltages to the display will be good with a new rottendog pcb!

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2009, 06:02:57 PM »
Just in case you're working straight from the manual...

WARNING: Schematic Mis-Prints 4049 vs 4050.
On some system11 schematics (such as Earthshaker) chip U8, U9, and U10 the schematics says these are 4050 chips on the display controller board. But this is *wrong*! They are actually 4049 chips (hex inverter buffer). If 4050 (non-inverting hex buffer) chips are put in by mistake it can cause damage and the displays will not work!

Offline markc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2009, 08:45:51 PM »

Just got offered  4 transformers   , should have them early next week

mark

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2009, 10:20:25 PM »
Mark,

Wish it were a week earlier - you could have thrown them in with the rest of the order!!

No worries - will know who to call if this one throws the towel in.

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2009, 07:48:47 PM »
Ok, things are not so good in my shed at the moment ^.^

Fixed the pins on the interconnect board, ran some new traces, was all looking good.  Checked all fuses in machine, checked all coil resistances everything was good.  Connected everything back up except the display board and turned the machine on.....  Backboard lights came on, speaker made a few noises and i was pretty happy.  Then after about 5 seconds the shaker motor started and there was a spectacular flame and sparking from the shaker motor, a few sparks from the boards and i quickly pulled the plug.

On brief inspection, there are a few chips gone on the CPU board - one gone on the audio board, maybe a relay on the CPU but the new transformer and power supply board look OK at the moment (the transformer still works - i disconnected everything and it fired up OK).

After that, i left the plug out and took the boat out wakeboarding for the arvo so i didn't have to think about it.

So i guess from now i have to pull all the boards off and assess the damage - then make a call to cut my losses (don't really know what to do with it though?) or persevere and continue to repair.

My initial thought is there is a serious issue with the shaker motor (which i think someone suggested earlier -  i never even pulled it apart: lesson learned) and this has gone back through the rest of the system.  The reason for this thought is why did the shaker motor start of its own accord about 5 secs after powering up - i assume this is NOT part of the self diagnostics?  I haven't looked to see which if any fuses have blown, although the machine did not stop - i had to pull the plug.

Someone also suggested the possibility the line filter might be dodgy and allowed a spike through?

I may have a bit of a look tommorrow arv and put the project on the backburner for a few weeks....i guess that will give me the chance to wait a while and fal over some of the elusive UDN 7180 ic's.....

« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 07:49:43 AM by robm »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2009, 01:18:57 PM »

A minor setback - I hope.

Take a break and then re assess. Hopefully, the damage will be simple parts like TIP102 etc..
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2009, 12:03:38 AM »
The reason for this thought is why did the shaker motor start of its own accord about 5 secs after powering up - i assume this is NOT part of the self diagnostics? 

It could well be - I know that on Dirty Harry the self diagnostics runs the motor for the gun on start-up.

I would try turning the pin on with the motor disconnected next time - but definitely take a look at that shaker motor as a possible problem area.