Author Topic: 1976 bucaneer  (Read 685 times)

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Re: 1976 bucaneer
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 10:47:13 AM »
so when its operates correctly, by adding coins, increases the credit wheel, then you push the coin panel start button to start. the game starts and the credit is reduced by one?

I did remove and have a look a the credit unit, when its gets to around 7 credits there is a pin that tries to bend the contacts. the wheel i think goes up to about 16. But there is no way the pin would get past 7 or 8. is this normal?

Correct . Pushing the start button should cause credits to decrease by one . The pin can be removed and put in another hole closer to max number of credits .
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 10:47:59 AM »
You should have 2 pins... one moves around and opens/closes contacts when credits reach 15 or 16... the other moves around and opens/closes contacts when credits reach ZERO... if the ZERO credit switches are not opening/ closing as they should.. machine will always read as having credits.

Sounds like the wheel might be in the wrong position also... it will undo with an Allen key grub screw on the side

Offline michael77

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 12:53:16 PM »
 I removed it from the backboard. I had to unsolder some wires (which is a pain) that go to the coils. There is no big plug unlike other motors units that i have removed before.
Dismantled and cleaned the coils which are now doing their thing. I notice now that when the credit is on 0, the contacts are not quite open, i am quessing as you said above should be. Also, when I press the start button, it starts. however when I put coins in, the credit stays on 0.   

Then I manually activated the coil to give 4 credits ( I now understand that the other set of contacts allows a maximum number of credits, in my case,5), now when I put a coin in, the credits decrease, this seems strange to me.

What was the normal thing people did to make these EM machines freeplay? All the wires are connected to the coils. The only one that was cut was to the coin eject coil on the coin door 

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 06:26:43 PM »

There is one switch that controls free play on a Gottlieb game. Set the credit wheel to zero credits. On the stepper unit there will be a notched wheel with a pin sticking out. This pin should have opened two switches only when the credit wheel is at zero credits. If this switch is closed, the game is set to free play. Open this switch to revert back to credits.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline oldpins

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane North QLD
    • oldpinballs.com
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2012, 07:51:35 AM »
May want to check the coils on the credit unit have not been swapped over. This can be easily done expecially after pulling down, cleaning and putting back together. May explain the decrease in credit after insertng a coin.

Offline michael77

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2012, 10:52:24 AM »
I only unsoldered 2 wires which i marked so that they would go back the same way. However somebody else could have done it to setup the free play.

I have attached a photo of the switch position when there are 0 credits, and as you guessed these 2 contacts are not open. When I manually try to open the contacts it is all a bit too stiff and doesn't want to. Are the switch blades(is this the correct name) in their correct positions?

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2012, 03:10:42 PM »
You need to bend the bottom leaf out slightly with a pair of long flat nose pliers.. only needs to move out  1mm or so

Offline oldpins

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane North QLD
    • oldpinballs.com
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2012, 04:26:13 PM »
Looking at your image the white plastic post is missing between the zero position (long contact) and the secondary contact (long contact). Rectifying this first may help sort some of the problems.
Rather than bending the contacts a bridge can also be soldered across the zero position contacts.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 04:29:38 PM by oldpins »

Offline michael77

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2012, 09:06:24 PM »
I made up a spacer for the contact and this seems to work well. I dismantled another motor that was a bit eractic also. I don'tknow what it does,but seems to run smoother now. It is above the credit wheel, the most left beside the other relays.

to make it work now, I put in 20 cents and it automatically starts. there is no need to push the start button.

Whilst playing, credits are given and show by accumulating on the credit wheel.
When the current game finishes, a new game can be started by pushing the start button. This reduces the credit wheel by one. 

it all seems to work fine now.

The only unusual thing is if I have credits and I add a coin, the credit wheel decreases. Is this normal?

Offline oldpins

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane North QLD
    • oldpinballs.com
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2012, 07:20:57 AM »
The 'motor' you mention on the relay bank on the far left above the credit unit is the (FS) 00-99 relay. It operates during game play and gives the 'matching or lucky' number at the end of a game. Not sure on the credit wheel decreasing after adding a coin. I'll have a look at some schematics from that era.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 07:45:23 AM by oldpins »