Author Topic: Pinball ring list Wiki  (Read 152 times)

Offline FirePower

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
Pinball ring list Wiki
« on: November 08, 2010, 08:09:42 PM »
There's been a few threads on ring lists lately.  It's always surprised me that there isn't a comprehensive list somewhere on the web.

The problem with putting the ring info here on AP is that it's not as widely available and people will miss it because they have to, or think they have to, sign in.  The problem with any commercial site like the one mentioned is that it's a commercial site and so subject to the ongoing good will and viability of a seller leaving it up, maintaining it, deciding not to sell or otherwise restrict access.

I think Beaky suggested a Wiki on another thread I reckon this is a great idea. To me this is one of the great benefits of the web, the co-operative approach can be put to good use on a non commercial basis for the benefit of all.

I've had a look over the some wikis and the best Pinball one seems to be http://pinball.wikia.com/wiki/Pinball_Wiki so I've added a section on ring lists http://pinball.wikia.com/wiki/Ring_Lists

Have a look and see if you think I've got the basic format suitable and able to grow.  If you're keen add a ring  list for your favourite pin. It's easy to edit and you don't need an account to edit.  If you think it's a good idea and can't be bothered with the wiki flick me a pm with the info on your machine in (plain text please) and I'll stick it up.

Maybe over time it turns into something useful, but that depends on people adding to it. With about 1000 machines owned by members of this forum, there must be many hundreds of unique machines and we could collectively add a lot of info.  If it looks like working I'll spread the word around other forums and newsgroups.  Thoughts, comments welcome - over to you.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 08:12:26 PM by FirePower »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Pinball ring list Wiki
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 08:39:04 PM »
There's already someone running a database, but of course it all depends on the site staying around -

http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=5548.0

Should we start a new one, or add to the existing?
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 08:50:45 PM »
I looked at the pinball wiki thing today and so much of the info on it is so wrong and far from fact it isnt funny.

example, look up GODZILLA PINBALL. the author says there were 3800 units made.  WRONG ! try 500 or less. It made me angry because some of these authors are so incorrect, it aint funny.  I mean there is a big difference between 3800 and 500 units. How could u stuff that up so bad.  !@#

At least on Aussie Pinball, we have enthusiasts/ourselves who do check facts before posting 99 percent of the time, and we can keep the info real.  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline FirePower

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 09:38:04 PM »
There's already someone running a database, but of course it all depends on the site staying around -

http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=5548.0

Should we start a new one, or add to the existing?

Yeah I know, but I'm a big fan of the open source style of free ware cooperative non commercial approach so let's see how the Wiki  goes. Maybe it drifts into oblivion but it already has content that the other site doesn't have!  I'm also sure sites like IPDB, KLOV started small!

I looked at the pinball wiki thing today and so much of the info on it is so wrong ...

<snip>

At least on Aussie Pinball, we have enthusiasts/ourselves who do check facts before posting 99 percent of the time, and we can keep the info real.  ^^^

Cavey, the idea of a Wiki is that it's a living document that users edit.  On each page there is an edit button - just click and correct away. Set the record right on those heinous errors that make you angry  ^^^

AP members can keep the info real on the wiki if they wish. With something like a ring list it is more public and hopefully a wider community will contribute.

Offline Bennyfactor

• Forum Posts:
  • Butler, Perth
  • Soon, soon...
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 09:57:06 PM »
Great idea,
I think a wiki is the best way to go
as you said firepower, the beauty of it is that when you see something that's wrong, you can correct it!  ^^^

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 11:07:02 PM »
Re Wiki, I didnt know u could correct it. I didnt know if i had to join the thing or not. I am not a person who is into facebook, or tweets or teets or whatever all that stuff is.
Good old Aussie Pinball is fun enough for me.

I will get on to that wiki thing and see if i can put the real production numbers up against GODZILLA.  ^^^

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline JurassicP

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 01:02:45 PM »
Just an addition to this, with the rubbers... Should we also include LED's. so many people are pimping their machines a ready reckoner with numbers would be a great resourse?

Thoughts??