Author Topic: Buck Rogers Restoration  (Read 9593 times)

Offline Slash

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Buck Rogers Restoration
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2014, 07:58:43 PM »
Been a while since I posted any pics but have been gradually chipping away at stuff when time permits.  Just about finished the cabinet (still gotta do the head box) excluding a few minor touchups to the cab.

What took extra long was I did the black area first which in hindsight was stupid.  I should have done it last, so I redid that section again after I had done the yellow and red/orange.  It was the biggest area and it was best to finish it off last.

The other thing I learnt since I have been using large amounts of frisket was I had to put 2 layers on.  When I only had one the paint seemed to react with it and seep through somehow and react with the glue and/or really get the edges to lift.  So after trying two layers of frisket it seemed to work.

Overall I am reasonably happy with the results. Not perfect since the method I was using didn't allow for the cabinet to be sanded totally flat since I would completely lose the image I was working off.  But in some respects it keeps it a bit more authentic still seeing a bit of woodgrain indentation in the cabinet rather than a dead flat surface. On the side in the pic I messed up and sprayed over 2 orange circles so I scratched them back slightly in the pic so I could see which ones I had to be go back and fix (thought I would mention it in case people see a couple of obvious imperfections you can see one in the top left corner of the third pic).

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2014, 08:58:17 PM »
Wow! Looking very nice, great work.  ^^^

Offline JRK1971

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #77 on: June 25, 2014, 06:15:10 PM »
Great work so far ^^^
I bought a Buck Rogers same year I bought my (current) countdown (1993). Great machine, but my play field was way worse than yours, even my countdown has more wear. I reckon they must have thrashed them in SA, or I'm just a sucker for a poor machine. Sold the Buck Rogers years ago.

I'm keen to see your airbrush work on the playfield, I've got to do the same, but am time poor (3x kids) under 6. So I'm torn between playing and fixing.

Great work with the paint on the  cabinet, you are getting me motivated

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2014, 12:48:47 PM »
I understand the time poor part, that's why this thing is taking for ever.

Have put the playfield touchups on the back burner until I finish the cabinet, but will post pics when I finally get back to it again. 

I had some "issues" when I went to fix up a couple of yellow areas on one side of the cabinet last weekend.  As a result I will probably have to redo that whole one side again - all the colours arrrrgggghhhh!!!

I will post some pics when I get a chance but it basically showed why I needed to use 2 layers of frisket instead of one.  I had done so up until the little touch ups and being lazy bit me badly.  Pics will explain.

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2014, 01:24:29 PM »
Finally started to redo the one side of the cabinet I screwed up when I tried to fix one or two dodgy bits.  This was the result from only using one layer of frisket instead of two.  For some reason the paint seems to react thru the top surface somehow and this is the result.  But when I use two layers of frisket this doesn't happen ?? It's like it reacts with the adhesive in the frisket then when you take it off all these sticky strands come away and screw up the finish around it.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2014, 05:52:10 PM »
Looks like you are painting too heavy mate.. theres a LOT of paint there.

Are you using a brush or spraying. Either way what you need to do is apply the frisket and make one VERY light coat to seal the edges... let this go off and then apply the top coat. Spray enamel is a cow to use as its very thin and easily leeches under your mask. You don't need to build up heavy paint layers.. less is more with this and you barely need enough to just get an even colour.

A nice trick is to use something like a matte white undercoat first to make a very light spray.. this seals the edges of the mask and prevents leeching... you can then go ahead and use the spray enamel. Youll find it easier to cover a misty white colour as opposed to a black or red..... but I cannot emphasise enough that you need to go very lightly!!

Online Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #81 on: September 02, 2014, 09:47:29 AM »
Looks like you are painting too heavy mate.. theres a LOT of paint there.

Are you using a brush or spraying. Either way what you need to do is apply the frisket and make one VERY light coat to seal the edges... let this go off and then apply the top coat. Spray enamel is a cow to use as its very thin and easily leeches under your mask. You don't need to build up heavy paint layers.. less is more with this and you barely need enough to just get an even colour.

A nice trick is to use something like a matte white undercoat first to make a very light spray.. this seals the edges of the mask and prevents leeching... you can then go ahead and use the spray enamel. Youll find it easier to cover a misty white colour as opposed to a black or red..... but I cannot emphasise enough that you need to go very lightly!!

+1

6 light coats are better than 2 heavy coats. There is a temptation to "get the job done", but as Gavin pointed out - go slowly and once you have enough color - STOP.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #82 on: September 02, 2014, 02:07:27 PM »
Thanks for the advice Gavin and Nino, that might be the problem - going too heavy with the paint.  

It's being sprayed on not brushed.

The yellow is the one I seem to have most problems with, mainly Im guessing because I put on a white undercoat first (perhaps not lightly enough) because the colour was getting all screwed up and was too thin when I simply tried spraying it straight on top of the black.  As you both say maybe I am ending up with simply too much paint on there, most likely due to a heavy hand and going too fast.

Arrrgggghhh - oh well that was the point of this project.  Get a crappy machine so I can learn the hard way by diving in and messing everything up.  No real harm done since it's not like I'm destroying something of significant value - except for my pride.  lol

Hopefully I will have honed my skills a bit more by the time I'm ready for my next project.

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #83 on: September 02, 2014, 05:31:56 PM »
Learning as you go is half the fun. I admire you for giving it ago though. There is defiantly an art to it and I'm sure I'd bugger it up twice as badly if I were to have a shot. I love the Buck Rogers theme and really like system 1 games so I've really enjoyed your updates on this thread, warts and all. Great stuff.  ^^^

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #84 on: September 02, 2014, 05:45:27 PM »
Thanks for the advice Gavin and Nino, that might be the problem - going too heavy with the paint.  

It's being sprayed on not brushed.

The yellow is the one I seem to have most problems with, mainly Im guessing because I put on a white undercoat first (perhaps not lightly enough) because the colour was getting all screwed up and was too thin when I simply tried spraying it straight on top of the black.  As you both say maybe I am ending up with simply too much paint on there, most likely due to a heavy hand and going too fast.

Arrrgggghhh - oh well that was the point of this project.  Get a crappy machine so I can learn the hard way by diving in and messing everything up.  No real harm done since it's not like I'm destroying something of significant value - except for my pride.  lol

Hopefully I will have honed my skills a bit more by the time I'm ready for my next project.

Yellow tends to be transparent and takes a lot to cover.

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2015, 03:02:25 PM »
Ok after a bit over 2 years Buck Rogers is finally back together.  I just have to plug it all into the new pascal board then attempt to fire it up this afternoon when I have some time and cross my fingers everything works and nothing blows up.  lol

Anyhow here are some pics.  Overall I am pretty happy given it was my first attempt on so many levels.  First time painting a cabinet, first time touching up a playfield (I reckon I ended up painting about 50-60% of it again), first time stripping a playfield, repinning connectors, decaling an apron, rebuilding flippers and bumpers and drop targets, clear coating a playfield, replacing the blue score windows and then clearing/sealing the backglass etc etc etc.  I have to say I learnt a lot, even just simple stuff like how something works lol.

As others no doubt find, you look back and think of things you would do differently or little bits here and there you aren't happy with.  I see them myself since I did it but others don't unless you point it out, just little things.  But nothing too significant.  Anyhow here are some pics, when I compare these pics to the pics in the first page of this thread I think overall it's a pretty good improvement.  I will probably be back later this arvo with "help requests" when I turn it on and shit doesn't work.  *)*

I still need to get a couple of things, like a new coin door lock, some leg protectors.  I also am on the lookout for some new Legs for this too when I can find some 27" ones.  Then it's time to turn my attention to my Whirlwind project.

Offline turbo27

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2015, 03:22:10 PM »
Mighty fine work...looks fantastic.
You've got the resto bug now....it's good fun  :D

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #87 on: August 09, 2015, 04:24:15 PM »
Bloody nice effort Slash - I'd be very proud of that - looks great!
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2015, 06:04:18 PM »
Nice work, well done

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #89 on: August 09, 2015, 06:14:08 PM »
I now what you mean about the small things you would do differently on the next one and the things that you notice but no one else does. You now know every part of this machine inside and out.

Great job!!!!!