Author Topic: Score Displays Not Working - Cleopatra  (Read 902 times)

Offline Brettski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
  • Since I Was A Young Boy I Played The Silver Ball!
    • Strikes and Spares Restoration
Score Displays Not Working - Cleopatra
« on: January 10, 2016, 08:01:08 PM »
Apart from the other issues I have had, now the Displays stopped working. I have a Pascal board and the light is out for the Display Voltage which I believe is the fuse. It comes with a spare but my concern is what caused it to go in the first place. Should I just put the spare in and see what happens or is there somewhere else I need to check. Any advice appreciated.
Cheers: Brettski... :)

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: Score Displays Not Working - Cleopatra
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 08:59:59 PM »
Apart from the other issues I have had, now the Displays stopped working. I have a Pascal board and the light is out for the Display Voltage which I believe is the fuse. It comes with a spare but my concern is what caused it to go in the first place. Should I just put the spare in and see what happens or is there somewhere else I need to check. Any advice appreciated.

So you've got the 4in1 board?

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 09:20:47 PM »

So you've got the 4in1 board?

Yes Chris, the 4 in 1. still yet to replace solenoid transistors for the previous issues but now this has occurred and need to fix it before I can do anything else.
 :)

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 09:23:36 PM »
Also when it happened the machine was on for a while then displays just went out, the game was not being played just in standby mode (end of game).

Offline Boots

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 07:26:24 AM »
Hmm not sure on this one
Have you check for any shorted damaged wiring?
Is it possible for these displays to short?
Have you got another sys1 to check your displays?

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 05:25:41 PM »
Shorted display perhaps?? I've seen it a few times where the driver chips on the displays fail and short out the 60 volt line.

Offline ralph67

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Stoneville
    • ralph1967@optusnet.com.au
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 06:26:24 PM »
Shorted display perhaps?? I've seen it a few times where the driver chips on the displays fail and short out the 60 volt line.
Yes same here , Ive come across this problem from a blown out capacitor on one of the displays ,
 Disconnect all displays and  just plug one display in and see if that works , if not ,
 Is there a fuse for the displays near the smaller transformer? , check that also , if this game has one ..
One-Ball!

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 06:58:41 PM »
Make sure game is off in between adding back each display.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Boots

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 07:50:39 PM »
If it is a shorted display the you may be able to see physical damage on the display board
Have a good look at them before plugging them in and testing you may be able to eliminate the faulty one without plugging it in

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 11:35:39 PM »
I have played Russian roulette with the displays and replaced the fuse then connected them one by one, all good from 1 - 3 including Credit/Ball display so I am assuming the problem is with number 4. I am waiting on some fuses to arrive and then I will check the last display. I will let you know how it goes.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 10:47:13 AM »
Buy yourself a couple of these..

http://www.jaycar.com.au/Passive-Components/Circuit-Protection/Circuit-Breakers/3A-Panel-Mount-Thermal-Circuit-Breaker-%28CBE%29/p/SF2293

They come in a range of sizes.. solder some insulated flyleads with clips on them and attach across the old fuse mounting.
Each time it blows, you just reset it by pushing the button.

You can fault find a blowing fuse all day long without having to keep swapping out..

Gav

Offline Gemini2544

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wimmera Victoria
  • Latest restore "Top Score" Two plater EM
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 03:03:23 PM »
I can test them on my Cleopatra if your stuck. I also have the driver I.c's in stock if any need replacing, I have professional Vacuum desoldering gear here too.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 03:12:15 PM by Gemini2544 »
My collection- Gottleib "Wild life", "Gottleib "Top Score", Gottleib "Target Alpha", Gottleib "Cleopatra", Williams "Space Mission", Williams "Pin*Bot", Bally "Black-Rose" JJP "WOZ" & Chicago Coin "Fun land" Rifle.

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 10:36:39 PM »
Buy yourself a couple of these..

http://www.jaycar.com.au/Passive-Components/Circuit-Protection/Circuit-Breakers/3A-Panel-Mount-Thermal-Circuit-Breaker-%28CBE%29/p/SF2293

They come in a range of sizes.. solder some insulated flyleads with clips on them and attach across the old fuse mounting.
Each time it blows, you just reset it by pushing the button.

You can fault find a blowing fuse all day long without having to keep swapping out..

Gav

Great idea Gav but what do insulated flyleads with clips look like. I get the idea though! :)

Brettski... :)

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 10:40:42 PM »
I can test them on my Cleopatra if your stuck. I also have the driver I.c's in stock if any need replacing, I have professional Vacuum desoldering gear here too.

Much appreciated but I just picked up a Charlies Angels that needs some work including a new board so I stole a display from there for the time being which completes Cleopatra.
By the time I get around to getting a new board I will probably have picked up some spare displays and other bits I need so all good at the moment.