Author Topic: Triple Thick 500 disaster  (Read 1008 times)

Offline morrie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Triple Thick 500 disaster
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2009, 11:57:39 AM »
Wonder1s kiss glass has never been installed in a game
and has been kept inside the house
Can you clear coat a backglass ?

Offline wonder

• Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2009, 11:59:58 AM »

Not sure what to do now as just checked my kiss back glass and has just started to bubble in the middle of the kiss wording.Was a 10/10 now down to 8/10 not happy. ^.^

Weird. Is it in a game?. Do you have it stored somewhere?. Just curious to know if it's in your house, garage, shed etc.

All stored in games room,out of boxes.Temperature in the room stays about the same, as have ducked refrigeate air con,and going by my power bill she never turns it of.So temperature wise i don't think it changes much, and never cleaned with anything and never been on a machine.

I've never had issues with TT. As long as the glass is prepared correctly and you don't spray in hot or cold conditions, I don't see a problem. I NEVER Seal a back glass "for the hell of it" - I ONLY seal them when they are deteriorating to a point where it will get worse over time.

Not sure what to do now as just checked my kiss back glass and has just started to bubble in the middle of the kiss wording.Was a 10/10 now down to 8/10 not happy. ^.^
Have used TT before with no problems but not on a bally repro before.Should i go a head and do it as the bubbling only going to get worse or is there a better product to use.

Even a bigger problem is that i have a few other nos black glass and don't wont it to happen to them as well as all nos.Was going to TT them as well but don't no what to do or use now. ^&^

If i don't do something with them now ,they will start to bubble,and i will be not happy. !!!
What other products can i use and i don't wont to spray them and then check 3 month later and find out that i stuffed them all.

If I were you Craig ;

Leave NOS backglasses alone !

I would consider sealing the KISS glass if it looks like flaking.

Lets remember WHY this is happening.. The main reason is that when these machines were operated, they were left on all day, nearly everyday. So the heat from the #44 lamps basically "toasted" the backglass over 20 - 30 years.

Now this was not too bad on EMs, but lethal on some SS. There are other factors such as different printing process and the thickness of the paint - but all glasses were installed in perfect condition.

I ALWAYS use #47 globes in the backbox of any machine. IF you starte to see wear and tear - remove half of the globes - this is what was done "in the old days" to save the glass from deterioration AND to release the strain on the power supply.

There are other products out there. Steve Young used to have a product called "save my glass" (I think it was called that) - and it was the best product to use.

Clay (Marvin's Site) has used TT for years without an issue - I think his suggestion would be to "perfect the process".

That's my problem, i left the kiss alone and it started to flake and it never been on a machine yet.I don't wont to think of what might happen to the rest i have, that's why i thought i would start to seal them all.
Will be going to the shops and finding out how much to put them all in frames for better safety and storage

Skybeau (Ken) rates Markseal. 

Yes seen that, i thought that it would be best used on my nos  back glasses, as they have no flaking yet and TT for the ones that are flaking. !@#

All i can say is bugger,bugger,bugger. and HELP
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 11:31:39 PM by wonder »
pharaoh blackglass <br />blackknight project<br />NOS Playfields

Offline wonder

• Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2009, 12:08:59 PM »
Wonder1s kiss glass has never been installed in a game
and has been kept inside the house
Can you clear coat a backglass ?

Might have to look into this Morrie, as need to work out what to do asap.Had a look at a couple of game that i have at sister inlaws and got one  flaking as well, and she doent even play them. !!!

ps playfield are so much easy to store than blackglasses. !!!

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2009, 12:59:07 PM »
So just to clarify. The KISS glass is an IPB repro and not an NOS original?.

Offline wonder

• Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2009, 04:25:32 PM »
So just to clarify. The KISS glass is an IPB repro and not an NOS original?.

Repro

Offline MrMaloo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2009, 05:25:28 PM »
I've been reading this thread with interest and am in much the same boat as you wonder . I recently got a NOS ( an original NOT a repro ) backglass for my Williams Lucky 7 . I was going to seal it with the Markseal product mentioned earlier . I have actually seen the FirePower backglass that Skybeaux done with Markseal in person and it is VERY , VERY nice . I was going to put all 47 globes in the headbox to cut the heat down etc. but still wouldn't mind sealing the back to protect it from scratches etc. that can happen when you have the glass out of the machine .
  After reading this thread though I'm in 2 minds whether to do it or not ...  !@#

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2009, 05:45:02 PM »
I've been reading this thread with interest and am in much the same boat as you wonder . I recently got a NOS ( an original NOT a repro ) backglass for my Williams Lucky 7 . I was going to seal it with the Markseal product mentioned earlier . I have actually seen the FirePower backglass that Skybeaux done with Markseal in person and it is VERY , VERY nice . I was going to put all 47 globes in the headbox to cut the heat down etc. but still wouldn't mind sealing the back to protect it from scratches etc. that can happen when you have the glass out of the machine .
  After reading this thread though I'm in 2 minds whether to do it or not ...  !@#

Scott,

If that was mine would leave as it is and just run 47s as you suggested

Offline justwedgeheads

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2009, 05:57:38 PM »
I've used Triple thick on peeling glasses as I hate it when I remove a glass and see new paint flakes at the bottom of the head box.I guess time will tell but haven't seen any issues yet.I run 47's and always turn machines off when not in use.I have four repro glasses but wouldn't put TT near them(ain't broke don't fix)

Offline wonder

• Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2009, 06:32:28 PM »
Thats the problem,mines not  even been on a game and it started to flake.So far two ways to go

1  use TT on the back glasses that have all ready starting to flake

2 use Markseal product(Cabot's Universal Sanding Sealer I Think) on the NOS ones that are flaking

3 Cover Your Glass Spray looks like its not made any more.

Been reading up on this from here.lots of useful info
http://www.pinrepair.com/restore/index1.htm#bg

I've used Triple thick on peeling glasses as I hate it when I remove a glass and see new paint flakes at the bottom of the head box.I guess time will tell but haven't seen any issues yet.I run 47's and always turn machines off when not in use.I have four repro glasses but wouldn't put TT near them(ain't broke don't fix)

Good point but it a matter of time before you have to.So do you try and stop it now from happening do you wait, then try and stop it. ^&^
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 11:26:14 PM by wonder »

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2009, 09:51:56 PM »
Now I read this thread   @.@

I just sealed my Jacks Open backglass with TT.  It was flaking in three spots - two flakes came off when I blew some dust and wood chips off it.  Yes it was the red on a Gtb backglass and yes it was where globes are right on top of it so it was probably bound to happen.

I hope I did it right.  Two pretty thin coats to start with and I made sure I went to the edges to try to seal them as well.  Then I applied two thicker coats over the wear areas where the flakes were sticking up and I tried to get the TT in under them to seal them right up.  Only time will tell I spose but for me, it was worth the risk and will have hopefully prolonged it's life.  At least now I can touch up the bare areas over the TT with red glass paint and wipe it off if needs be. 
Addicted to pins.

Offline big dog

• Forum Posts:
  • Grafton
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2009, 09:56:28 PM »
have done TT and clear coat on stuffed glasses ,TT it the EZ way. I have had no problems over 3 years but don't like to hear story's like this , all have been Gottlieb and 1 X travel time...my fingers are crossed and I'm touching wood..., !@#

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2009, 11:56:28 AM »
Most of my backglasss are sprayed with TT, and i've had no problems at all (touching wood as i write this..lol) Scary thought though after reading this thread, it made me go and check all my glasses for deterioration.. all good so far.
I have glasses that were done about six or seven yrs ago with TT, and some that i did with ordinary auto acrylic clear, even those one still look as good as the day i sealed them.

Offline SPURR

• Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2009, 02:11:38 PM »
Scott NO way would I paint it!