Author Topic: Pacific Pinball Expo - Let the fun begin.....  (Read 3681 times)

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
Re: Pacific Pinball Expo - Let the fun begin.....
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2011, 09:00:54 AM »
Hey all - its 3pm and I am taking a 30 minute break and getting you more info.

Official Opening Day has been terrific.
The set up is FANTASTIC as far as how the seminars are run and the fact they are about 1 minutes walk from the Expo Hall itself.

Queuing to get in this morning.

They have a pin map in the entry hall - looks like we are the only Aussies here  !@#

Coloured rubbers anyone ?

Coloured old style displays anyone?

Part of Gene Cunninghams bits for sale.

This custom game is here and it is truly beautifully done - faultless.

This CV has 3 x BOOM Balloons  :lol :lol #*# :lol :lol

There is a nice Pharoah here to play.

We attended Jersey Jacks WOZ seminar - I took notes and will say what I can later.
GREAT guy but didnt say a whole lot to be honest - more later.
The crowd for this seminar was BIG - including Gary Stern.

Richard Gere was here too  #@#

I also just attended the Colour DMD seminar - more on this later as well.

OK - break over - now back to play one of those games - it is so confusing knowing which one of the 400+ games to play  :lol

DW Drums rule !

Offline markc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2011, 09:32:20 AM »

fantastic pictures

gotta love the pinball expos   

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2011, 12:50:47 PM »
Awesome pics and story so far guys.  ^^^ Thanks for taking the time to post so often .
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2011, 12:53:09 PM »

Wotto and Tony - The organizers should be paying you a royalty fee for the coverage and promotion !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2011, 01:16:45 PM »
Back again for a break around dinner time - it's free drinks at this hotel for 2 hours at the moment too  ^^^
I wonder where Tony is  #@#  **)  #@#

OK back to this morning..........

Jersey Jack - Wizard of Oz Pinball.
As usual - I will say it as I saw it - hopefully you wont read this negatively as I am trying to tell you what was said in the one and a half hours he spoke for.....

Firstly, we were really dissapointed that this was just a 'talk'......if it were me / us, I would be bringing the whitewood and some small samples of bits from the game so that people could touch and feel it to make it more 'real'.......there was nothing really, not ONE image and only at the very end did some printed artwork come out and get passed around.

Jack apparently runs a lot of games in a lot of the major theme parks across the US like Universal Studios and 6 Flags etc etc - they are redemption games etc, In relation to WOz, he is planning to have 5 or 6 prototypes of WOz in some of his existing specified locations to test them out in around December this year - he stated that he has a 42,000 square feet warehouse in New Jersey where the full 'production line' will be once that is up and running - he anticipates full production to start in around March.

He is offering up JJ Pinball factory Tours when the set up is running and also the possibility of a webcam in the facility so the production can be viewed on-line.

He let VERY VERY LITTLE out about the game itself ( basically nothing to be honest ) other than stating........

* That 2 other 'secret' designers who dont want to be named are working on the game as well.
* That the game will have SOMETHING in it's appeal which he is confident will bring people back to pinball ( what that SOMETHING is - well that wasnt specified  *!@

He also mentioned that he has 2 other games being designed right now as well - NO info was given about either of them other than the 2 'secret' designers are the guys doing those 2 games and one of them wants it to be Elvira / monster themed and that Elvira is already talking to them in a positive way about it.

So in a nut-shell , we really got nothing truly tangible about WOz - the crowd asked a lot of questions afterwards.
I can say he is a very positive guy - I wish him every success.
We had lunch sitting with him later, and he gave us a little more 'idle chat' but still nothing more.

I asked him if he was concerned that if he doesnt get some real tangible evidence / games out and meet deadlines IF he is concerned the pinball community would be saying to itself ' here we go again' ( I am sure you all know what I mean ) .....and he just confidently said he is getting this game done - period.

Colour DMD's

I went to this seminar , Tony chose not to.

Personally I think these look very good, the dots appear bigger to me and the colour is a 'little' pastel ( ish ) rather than 'burn your retina's out bright.
After the speech I believe these have a long way to go before they are 'common-place'.
The only one completed is AFM - it is on display here and you can play the game.

There has been a lot go into these , it comes with a seperate board to run it all and the screen is larger than required and they only use the centre portion of the actual screen to display the correct size of a standard DMD size.

Maybe you can make out what I am saying from this image  !@#

He said they have 2 more games / DMD's in the process at the moment but didnt say what games they are.
These DMD's are GAME SPECIFIC - meaning ( for now ) they cant be interchanged between games , he indicated that maybe down the track this can change.
They are releasing 100 units towards the end of this year for AFM at $399.00 each.

Back in the main hall today was busier than last night.
At least all the EM's are getting some loving today.

Talking of getting some loving - looks like Tony has a new fan - I mean this IS San Francisco  #@#

After the love-fest Tony ripped into the Jolly Park game - this really is a GREAT game, we both like it a lot.

I mentioned Elvira earlier - it turns out she is here too  ^^^

There is a beautiful Fire Power here ....really nice game.

And on top of it they put this STUPID BLOODY THING.
Come on all you Topper Lovers - tell me how SWEET and COOL this looks hey %%$

There is an area at the back dedicated to the historical games like this one.

And now - even the games themselves are telling me how I play  ^&^

I am off to find Tony - probably passed out in the foyer - and back to the hall for some more games.

DW Drums rule !

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2011, 06:08:54 PM »
Back in the hotel - it is midnight Friday here at the moment.

AWESOME day here - just fantastic.
There are just SO MANY games to play.

Here are some more random shots from the day.

Game face on boys - I actually look like I know what I might be doing here hey  :lol

Tony and I with Jersey Jack after his seminar today.
Note the pen behind the ear, I had been selling fruit on the highway earlier in the day  %.%
Please also note his T-shirt - I made comment in the seminar that we should grab a couple because we are Oz Pinheads.
He took my details and said he will send them to me - see what happens I guess.

An interesting fact is that if you Google the original Wizard of Oz full name, all the letters spell out OZPINHEAD.
His actual character name is Oscar Zoroaster Phadrig Isaac Norman Henkel Emmannuel Ambroise Diggs.
Spooky stuff huh.

One of the more colourful characters here at PPE today  *!@

We thought the boat in POTC here looked pretty cool.

They are also selling these lit star posts here - I am sure many of you have seen them.
They look excellent - I still think $10.00 per post is a bit rich once you add em all up AND his dog nearly took my hand off tonight so I aint giving him none of my 'green' - plus I reckon we would be struggling to fit ONE of these in the bags on the way home - Tony has bought more stuff than a mad woman shopper

And Darren , here is another couple of shots for you - this T shirt is on a World Tour  *)*

The shirt with the rare Jolly Park game.

The shirt with the custom made  Hellacopters game

Is THAT enough shirt shots  #@#

Nancy is asleep again  *.*

DW Drums rule !

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2011, 06:40:06 PM »
Ok - Cavey asked this earlier in the thread and I havent responded......

Wotto, if you could just bring back 3 x machines home from The Pinball Hall of Fame, what surprises would you bring back with you that u really liked the look and play of ?

So I will answer this and then say some things about some other titles too.

Mate - the 3 games I would DEFINITELY bring home ( from the trip - not just from PHOF ) are.....

Jolly Park
Pharoah
Embryon

Here is some 'ratings' ( as such ) on some titles I hadnt played before OR hadnt spent a LOT of time on before.

Games I rate as excellent players after spending time on them here -m you dont have to agree , this is just MY opinion and what I like  ^^^

Embryon
High Hand
Jolly Park
- LOVE this game and it is a damn shame none are in Australia - another one turned up tonight so out of the 8 in the USA we have now played 3 of them  #*#
Monopoly 
Pharoah
- I found this title absolutely enjoyable - I always thought it was just a BK rip-off - but it is more than that , man this game has some cool shots on it and it looks fantastic as well.

Games I rate as absolute rubbish players after spending time on them here

Cyclone
Scorpion

Games I rate as extremely surprising and loads of potential after spending time on them here

Time Machine by Data East - really cool game , fun theme and good sounds
LaserCue - similar to Alien Poker and has some real cool shots - dont think many were made  !@#
Batman Forever
Hurricane
- yes I have changed my mind on this game, the one here plays SILKY SMOOTH and I have found my opinion has altered - GREAT BG

Games I thought would be complete SH*T - but are Ok and unique to play

Dragon - made by Interflip
Farfalla by Zaccaria - lame-ar$e theme but a VERY sweet looking game with some nice features and layout.

Games I rate as just plain friggin wierd after spending time on them here

Spectrum
Orbitor 1

Games I will always hate - even after spending time on them hereand REALLY TRYING to find love for them

Adams Family
Twilight Zone

This will most likely be my last post before heading home as we want to spend all day tomorrow on the games.
We have to drive 6 hours to LAX on Sunday ( here ) for our flight home and we will be back in Australia on Tuesday morning and I will catch back up then

Hope you enjoyed this thread.

Regards

Wotto & Tony
DW Drums rule !

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2011, 07:25:37 PM »
Just got back from holiday and read this thread... funny.. was reading and wondering that it would be funny if you bumped into Dan at Expo... then read on and it turns out you did!.. Must drop him an email.

SPECTRUM.. ill explain it when i have a bit more time.. did own one and swore id never own a machine without bumpers again.

Cool pics guys... er... a bit more neon at all???

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2011, 07:42:50 AM »
VERY Busy Saturday here at PPE - this IS officially the busiest day.

You will notice the crowds are up.
You can still get on games - you just need to wait for a game and then U R on.

Thi sis the World famous Cliffy getting interviewed.

Some of the massive banners on display here.

You can tell how large these are because you can measure it in this photo against Hulk Hogan  %.%

Now - back to the colour DMD
Here is Tony playing ( badly as usual ) the AFM with the colour DMD installed.

Another look at the DMD again.

And I thought this was odd BUT as it turns out it is an anti glare guard and it works really well as TOny didnt even realise it was installed when playing from a players perspective.

I spoke to Randy from Colour DMD and I will discuss later what he said about the future of this product  ^^^

DW Drums rule !

Offline punter

• Forum Posts:
  • illawarra
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2011, 10:53:20 AM »
Thanks for all the photos Wotto and Tony it has been great to look at them everyday.I agree with a couple of your comments on the machines you have played.Pharoah better in my opinion than BK,both in gameplay and looks and i have also played TZ and AF and i would not buy these titles also, both over rated in my opinion.

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2011, 12:00:49 PM »

Thanks Punter - funny , I was playing Pharoah and thinking at the time it is a better game than BK but I didnt want to convince myself of that as I like BK.

OK back to the Colour DMD info.

I asked Randy how long he felt it might be before these panels were in 'proper' production for various / many more games.
There are only Randy and one other gentleman working on these right now, therefore it would be a long way off until we see lots available.

HOWEVER , Randy suggested he may ask amongst the pinball community if anyone is interested in helping create more title panels, much like CPR do with all thier contributuing artists.......so any of you out there that have the knowledge and skills COULD get involved in this and be part of something pretty cool for our hobby - make sure you check out www.colordmd.com and IF you feel you have the skills to contribute , then watch his site or contact Randy directly via his site to see if you can assist.

A bit more of a summary of this afternoon.....

First off - here is a picture of 3 BIG PLAYERS in the pinball hobby.

The crowds got a little more intense than this morning.
We asked Michael Schiess, the main event organiser how many people come through and he said between 3000-5000 people attend this event over the 3 days.
They also have 150++ volunteers/ staff to make this event happen with numerous people donating games for the event too ^^^

Some people come dress 'themed'

Here we are with Michael - SMILE HEY WOTTO  :lol

TONY  -  STALKING CLIFFY  :lol

Thats Cliffy - what a SUPER nice dude he is
And Nick this ones for you......apparently you are some type of legend amongst these guys AND they have never even met you - they all knew you and asked if we knew you.

Thats Mr 68 in the middle.

My best mate from last night - NOT.
He still gave me the evil eye this morning.

We got to see the custom game Hellacopters with the glass off today which made it better to take pics of it , I met Wade Krauss who was a huge part of making the game ( along with that well known Metallica pinball for James Hetfield ).......he advised me they are currently doing another custom machine modelled on The Black Knight......THAT could be spectacular.

The detail in this game is SO nice.

He did tell me that the original Kingpin they made this from was a machine that was ready for the scrap heap , so they didnt destroy a game to custom make this.

Something we hadnt noticed were the monsters placed under the big clear inserts in the playfield, these light up as part of the gameplay.

Played a couple of woodies today......how fun  #@#
We played Knock Out as Tony likes boxing.

It has a little old mechanical boxing ring in the middle of it.

Apparently this Spot Bowler is a very rare game !@#
And man is it fast  %$%

I pulled back on the plunger, the ball shot into the playfield top arch area , then I walked around the complex, had lunch, discussed the French revoltion with a group of people, read War & Peace, went and filled the car with petrol, attended a PPE seminar for 30 minutes AND THEN by the time I got back the ball had JUST rolled down to the flipper so I was able to make my first shot  #@!

I reckon Harry Connick Junior would have this game frickin BANNED if he saw it  ^.^

Gavin - these two games were brought along by your friend Dan Kramer - what a cool guy.
Apparently these were put together so the "Big Double D's' were together - a bit of a hidden 'in' joke.
They are in very nice condition.

Some of the games where people have brought them along are topped with banners like this - which is nice.

This is DEFINITELY the last post - we have to go for for a feed ( oh if you ever come to San Rafael CA - go to Extreme Pizza in the main centre of the town for the ABSOLUTE BEST Pizza you will possibly ever taste ) as well as pack the bags for our trip home to Australia tomorrow night. We have a 6+ hour drive to LAX for a night flight home.

I want to say to any of you that are slightly considering visiting PPE one day - DEFINITELY do it - obviously the games and the selection of games is fantastic but also the other pinheads and the US people in general are just BRILLIANT and enjoy talking to Aussies.

Seeya all soon

Wotto and Tony

« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 12:09:10 PM by Wotto »
DW Drums rule !

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2011, 12:19:23 PM »

AWESOME guys - Just AWESOME  ^^^

Some very interesting pictures of the pinball fraterity. Good to see they are all approachable and take time out for photos etc !

Embryon is DEFINITELY a game to add to an SS collection. Very rare, and equally as difficult to buy in good condition.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2011, 12:22:44 PM »
Embryon is DEFINITELY a game to add to an SS collection - difficult to buy in good condition.

It wouldnt seem so here mate  - man we cop JUNK compared to what they have access to here
DW Drums rule !

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2011, 12:57:02 PM »
Aaah mate... youve me em all!

Wade is a really nice guy and does some fantastic work... its Dan that put the machines together for him so they play fast and smooth.
Dan emailed me a few months back regarding the WMS machines he had for PPE... good to see he got them up and running 100% in time.

What a blast.. would have loved to gone also

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2011, 04:03:35 PM »
Righteo then - I officially end this thread with this last image which just finished the PPE for us a few minutes ago on a wonderful note.
We hadnt taken a photo of this game and thought it was high time we did :lol

DW Drums rule !