Author Topic: Flash Gordon Restoration  (Read 11042 times)

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Flash Gordon Restoration
« on: March 05, 2013, 11:06:06 PM »
It's a slow start but it is a start so I thought I'd show a couple of pictures and get the ball rolling. I basically started on the coin door, not because I'd originally planned to but because I was keen to start and I was still either waiting for other parts I'd ordered or was still trying to track down parts that I thought I'd need.
Coin door before

Taking the door apart

Many of the parts I shot blasted before having them re-zinced and other parts which were just impractical to zinc were cleaned and  polished with some or all of the following: Steel brush, scourer pads, buffer wheel on bench grinder, Dremil, micro fibre cloths, as well as the use of degreaser, windex (clean wires) and metal polishers. Basically just tried everything to see what worked best.
Shot blast unit below makes quick work of rust removal but also removes zinc and chrome at the same time so unless you plan on rezincing/chroming then it's not a good idea.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Re: Flash Gordon Restoration
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 11:12:42 PM »
Some more pictures.
Putting the door back together

Coin door back in

And from the front.

Pretty easy to make the front look nice as I installed a new door skin, rechromed the coin slot area and installed new decals.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 11:31:43 PM »
What's next? Well I've basically just been pulling things apart and hoping that I've taken enough photos to put everything back together again.
Boards are labeled

Removed and sent to Beaky

The rest of the underside of the playfield has also been labeled, pics taken and assembly's taken apart. Because this is my first restoration and I'm not confident about putting everything back together again, I'm taking one of everything apart before polishing, cleaning, rezincing where necessary and replacing for new where possible and reinstalling before taking the rest of the assemblies off. This way ill always have something to copy off if I'm not sure how to get it back together.
 I'm also trying to keep items in groups where possible so it's easier to work out which bits go back together. It surprised me just how many parts make up a drop target assemble before I took one apart.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 07:29:51 AM »
Love the bling door, great job.

Photos are the best, you're right to shoot everything, digital cameras make it easy and really can save the day when putting things back together.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 10:09:44 AM »
Looks amazing !

You don't have to have the coin switch mounted if you don't want to. Simply award the first credit at 10,000 points and the second at 100,000 points and you will never need to open the door to put credits. but you can open it to marvel at the finish !

Great work.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 10:32:06 AM »
Excellent start on your first resto  ^^^

Have fun with it
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 11:47:57 AM »
This is going to be one bloody nice machine when finished!!!
Addicted to pins.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 02:31:27 PM »
Thanks guys, I have the CPR playfield, plastics and back glass to go with this machine so I'm keen to have everything as nice as possible before I install. The lower playfield is ready to go on the rotisserie but I'm trying not to lose focus on the more mundanity task of cleaning the existing assembly's and parts before I really get cracking on it.
My cabinet is solid enough but has a lot of ply starting to delaminate on the corners which I imagine is fairly typical of a 33 year old cabinet. Also a fair bit of swelling on the MDF panels on the back of the machine so I'm thinking about replacing the entire cabinet. Not because it's falling apart but because i just figure if I'm going to do all this work and sit this machine in my house i want it to be the very best i can make it. Art works not original either, not that that matters as I have the stencils and I'd have resprayed it any way.

Cabinet as is

Playfield on the rotisserie ready to go. I had this made so it the working height is standard workbench height of 900mm. It also breaks down into 6 component pieces so it doesn't take up much room when not in use.

Lower playfield

Offline PinPal

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney, Australia
  • Pinpal Pinball
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 09:31:48 PM »
Youre resto looks awsome,,  Flash Gordom is a fantasic game.
I love mine,
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 09:37:58 PM by PinPal »

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 09:47:01 PM »
Looks amazing !

You don't have to have the coin switch mounted if you don't want to. Simply award the first credit at 10,000 points and the second at 100,000 points and you will never need to open the door to put credits. but you can open it to marvel at the finish !

Great work.

Thanks Nino, that explains why I've never had to put a credit on it. It must be on that or a similar setting already.

Youre resto looks awsome,,  Flash Gordom is a fantasic game.
I love mine,

Thanks for the kind words, and yes its an awesome game,  I love mine too. I'm really missing it while its down, it's been good motivation to keep working on it though. It's a pretty slow process but I'm enjoying it.

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 10:58:41 PM »
good luck mate hope all falls into place and shes up and running like a minty machine
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline howzat

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 11:21:09 PM »
Hi Crashramp
It looks like your doing a great job  and enjoying it at the same time    F/G is a game from my past and I loved it    Lucky you  :lol

I will keep watching your post  with interest             Howzat   

Offline thefasteddy69

• Forum Posts:
  • Southern Highlands
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 07:50:12 PM »
Great work Adam jeez it really is starting to looking good.

Mate really fantastic work so far! Keep it coming ^^^

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 08:31:10 PM »
Just noticed the bally coin insert and think it looks great. Did you make this and if so did you decal the plastic or put a piece of card behind some clear?

I was thinking of putting a picture for my spacies but the bally has got my attention now
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 08:57:13 PM »
Just noticed the bally coin insert and think it looks great. Did you make this and if so did you decal the plastic or put a piece of card behind some clear?

I was thinking of putting a picture for my spacies but the bally has got my attention now

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/index.php?cPath=25&osCsid=7b3583a0daba0089650d0d5d61d8e09f

#@#
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia