Author Topic: Flash Gordon Restoration  (Read 11039 times)

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
Re: Flash Gordon Restoration
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 09:19:32 PM »
Just noticed the bally coin insert and think it looks great. Did you make this and if so did you decal the plastic or put a piece of card behind some clear?

I was thinking of putting a picture for my spacies but the bally has got my attention now

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/index.php?cPath=25&osCsid=7b3583a0daba0089650d0d5d61d8e09f

#@#

I think he was referring to the 'Bally' logo on the centre coin chute. 
Addicted to pins.

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 09:45:00 PM »
Sorry mate probably didn't explain myself well. I actually bought a couple of these stickers. I was referring to the bally above that sticker in the coin Bezzle thingy

Thanks for the thought though
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 10:19:48 PM »
Sorry mate probably didn't explain myself well. I actually bought a couple of these stickers. I was referring to the bally above that sticker in the coin Bezzle thingy

Yes looks very nice in the flesh. Should look great lit up too, once I get power back on that is.
I couldn't find any locally so got this one from Marco's  http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/C-826-BALLY 

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 10:37:07 PM »
but do you have one of these backglasses??      &&

Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2013, 10:46:49 PM »
Nice Mod! Can I get one locally? Greg, if your reading and you haven't posted my last order yet, then I'll take two please!

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2013, 01:03:58 AM »

Yes looks very nice in the flesh. Should look great lit up too, once I get power back on that is.
I couldn't find any locally so got this one from Marco's  http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/C-826-BALLY 
thanks mate will get one on my next order

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2013, 01:08:49 AM »
but do you have one of these backglasses??      &&

I checked out her website.. glad my wife didnt walk in the room at the time,

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2013, 09:56:13 AM »
Did the same looking whether theres other shots with he pinball. I wouldn't call her a shy girl  *.*

But she's always got a smile for the shot.....well most times unless there's things in the way  %.%

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2013, 02:45:56 PM »
A few updates pics. I've replaced all of the globe holders and braid wire. Also soldered about 50% of the holders to the braid wire.

You'll probably notice the bits of dodgy looking pine I've used for the timber rails on the edges of the playfield. I'll cut new ones out of a hardwood and paint at the same time as the cabinet so that everything matches.

Started putting some of the cleaned up assembly's back on.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2013, 02:50:18 PM »
A few more pics.

One of the Saucer Hole two way Kicker Assembly

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2013, 04:12:07 PM »
I think that Foxyjacky site should be classed as NSFW!!!!!  ;o)
Addicted to pins.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2013, 09:00:51 PM »
I thought I'd do a bit of a mini update on this machine. Though I've been steadily working away on it whenever I've had the chance I don't feel like I've got much to show for it. It's amazing how much time it takes to get things done right. So for this update I thought I'd show some of the smaller details which all go towards the finished product.

Both of the lane guides were very worn and affected game play by making the ball bounce up when the ball rolled onto the flippers

I had two new ones laser cut and then re-used the original thimble type spacer beneath them by welding them back on (Ignore the raw timber on the side, It's only temporary).

This picture below is of one of the flipper assemblies on the game which I found was wrong.

While most parts on the assembly were either the same as the correct assembly or available in the new flipper kits I brought, these brackets below were not. They didn't seem to be available to buy so I made them by copying of the other flipper assembly's on the game.

You may have seen the other thread where I was looking for some backbox light sheaths after I found one of mine broken. ddstoys Dan kindly offered to send me some but once I tried to remove the remaining ones on the game they just fell apart too so I decided to make some new ones that would last rather than put more old ones on the game.
Old ones below before it crumbled to pieces when I tried to remove them

New ones below made of aluminium.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2013, 09:20:40 PM »
I've also been chipping away at the back box light panel while waiting for other bits and pieces for the playfield

You can see below that the board doesn't have much paint left on it so I decided I'd strip everything off and start again

I basically just redrew the trace wire and other components on the back of a box. It doesn't matter how neat it is as long as you are able to reference where everything goes when you put it back together. There are also many wires connected directly to the globe holders so next to those holders I just noted what colour wires went where.

It was also equally important to empty the box first.....it was my pleasure!

Nearly stripped

Patching the holes

Painted and going back together. I ran out of the tinned trace wire though so have to wait for more to arrive before I can progress this area further. I originally ordered 40ft to do both the playfield and the light box. It was just a guess but it's amazing were it all goes. I think I need about 10 to 15 ft more. Anyway I've ordered plenty because I've got another game to start restoring once this ones done ( going to be a while though).

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2013, 09:25:02 PM »
Very nice work Adam.  

Just make sure those shrouds dont rub on the backglass.

Good to see that box of Crownies came in handy.  %.%
Addicted to pins.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2013, 09:30:30 PM »
Very nice work Adam.  

Just make sure those shrouds dont rub on the backglass.

Good to see that box of Crownies came in handy.  %.%

Yep came in very handy.  ^^^ Shrouds are an exact size match to the originals so won't be a problem.