Author Topic: flittering flippers on Williams Flinstones  (Read 241 times)

Offline dealers choice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock, N.S.W
flittering flippers on Williams Flinstones
« on: December 14, 2013, 09:14:14 PM »
Hi guys I was asked to check out my neighbours pin for any problems before his grand kids come up at christmass. I was wondering if any of you know what causes the flippers to flutter up and down by them selves? I have played this machine in the past and it hasn't happened before. There doesn't seem to be anything to trigger it off, it pretty much happens through out the whole duration of a game. he doesn't have a schematic to reference to.
Thanks Brendan
I'm not cranky, I just want MORE pins!

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Re: flittering flippers on Williams Flinstones
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 09:16:55 PM »
Both flippers or only one?

when you press the buttons or on their own at any time?

These questions and many more

Manual here:

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=flintstones&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#888
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline dealers choice

• Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock, N.S.W
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 09:20:17 PM »
Both flippers at once and on their own at any time. Thanks for the quick reply and the link to the manual .

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 10:05:06 PM »
Here is an excerpt from the old Pinrepair guides which is a good place to start......

Note I have seen a problem with a Fliptronics board where the flipper "fluttered".
Normally this would be a hold flipper coil problem, or a Fliptronics TIP102 problem.
But in this case it was the Fliptronics TIP102's 1N4004 diode that has failed, which
caused the flipper flipper (or "double flip") and not hold in the up position. I found
this problem because the 2.6k ohm 1 watt resistor tested low (1.8k ohms). After
removing one end of the resistor from the board, I found the resistor tested
correctly (2.6k ohms). I then tested the 1N4004 diode again and found it read 1.2
volts (not .4 to .6). Replacing the diode fixed the flipper flutter problem. Note I had
previously replaced the TIP102/2N4403 transistors (and not the 1N4004 diode!) and
the flipper still fluttered.

Addicted to pins.

Offline dealers choice

• Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock, N.S.W
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 10:16:35 PM »
thanks but this neighbour is a bit funny and I would rather change a board if that is the prob. not stuff around with replacing parts of boards. realistically I didn't want to do anything but its a bit hard when your on a property. ^.^

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 10:38:21 PM »
thanks but this neighbour is a bit funny and I would rather change a board if that is the prob. not stuff around with replacing parts of boards. realistically I didn't want to do anything but its a bit hard when your on a property. ^.^

He can be as "funny" as he likes - the problem may not be on a board.........if I were placed in this position I would suggest he "find a repairman himself" - good luck.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline dealers choice

• Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock, N.S.W
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 10:56:30 PM »
I understand Mike, he paid $3500 for the machine just over a year ago, I wouldn't like to pay any more than $2200  (I think it was way over priced) especially since it was supposed to be re furbished and its not in that great condition lol. the dmd hasn't worked properly since he got it. You and I know it will be the ribbon from the dmd, Ive got the dmd going before by spreading pins instead of replacing the ribbon. but its too hard for these people to fathom that. Even though Im not as swiched on as a lot of you guys with electronics I like to have a go but I might have to just keep it to machines I buy for myself with your help ^^^ I know where your coming from.
Thanks

Offline dealers choice

• Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock, N.S.W
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 04:21:26 PM »
Thanks guys for the advice. I've played with some of the connectors  and reseated them. No flipper problem now. also dmd working for now and got him to order a new ribbon. ^^^