Author Topic: AM I BRAVE OR STUPID OPINIONS PLEASE?  (Read 1089 times)

Marty Machine

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: AM I BRAVE OR STUPID OPINIONS PLEASE?
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2009, 07:16:34 PM »
Eucalyptus oil is typically in most supermarkets.

MM.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2009, 07:29:49 PM »
Yeah i know but i hate supermarkets lol  Here are a few pics what do you all think i should do just take a shitload of time and risk and try do the blue bits or just leave it as is

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2009, 07:38:39 PM »
No choice but to keep going mate.
looks to me like the original coating coming away, if the isocol lifted it then eucalyptus oil will definately do a better job. Your problem here may be the ME - you have to be REALLY careful when using these on an old PF as it will lift the paint also - as soon as you feel some drag on the ME, use a new piece as the drag is the ME wearing at the paint.

Ideally, you shouldnt need to use any elbow grease - the substance you are using should be doing 90% of the work - if its not then use another.

Id be going into this with Euc oil and a soft rag as basically you are going down to the paint level here.

Once finished the choice is yours - liberal aplications of wax or recoat with a clear... but it will need reprotecting

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2009, 07:44:09 PM »
Thanks Retropin
                           I agree once seeing the photos i do have to keep going (In the flesh all i could see was the damaged area ^.^) ill buy some eucalyptus oil tomorrow and just keep chipping away to get it off. I really love the look of the blue do you think i should risk doing the whole lot or just leave it at doing the blue?

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2009, 08:43:27 PM »
Daniel,

I don't think it looks all that bad to be honest. Mate you have to remember the playfield is over 50 years old, it was never going to come up mint.

Try Eucalyptus oil with the white side of ME tomorrow and hopefully it will be a better day.

Maybe just sit back, drink some JW, get the music pumping and enjoy your games tonight?  *%*

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2009, 11:44:38 PM »

I guess you are dealing with a really fragile clearcoat, and either the ME or the Isocol may be a little harsh. As advised - try the Eucalyptus Oil and see if it makes any difference. I'd be interested in your findings as I've never experimented with woodrail playfields.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2009, 05:57:04 PM »
Well ive tried all the suggestions but none seem to move it id say its the paint stained so im slownly and gently hitting the blue areas with wet rub and isocol to get it to match the few light areas so here is an update

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2009, 06:30:21 PM »
Looks good, and compared to the other side it looks great. Still plenty of blue there.

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2009, 06:49:06 PM »
I agree with Greg,

She is coming up nice. As mentioned you were never going to get a perfect playfield. Sadly for you this is going to be a long process.

Once you have her up and running, the reproduction backglass made, the lights out, the music pumping, half a bottle of JW in you........ you will be grinning from ear to ear  *%*

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2009, 06:50:26 PM »
Thanks Tony
                   Always good to have the opinion of someone with your experience with woodrails

Offline RaMpAgE

• Forum Posts:
  • Bendigo, Vic
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2009, 06:57:13 PM »
thats some mean crud you got, sorry the liquid didn't work out.  keep using the elbow grease ^^^

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2009, 07:11:10 PM »
Hi Daniel.

Mate - sorry the Euc didnt work for you..but it was worth a try.
From those pics id say youve got your technique well tuned - the right side looks great!
 Knowing when to pull up is all part of a restoration - its a balance between retaining what you can at the best it could be. Striving for perfection on a PF that age is a fruitless pursuit... but what you have there is a prime example of a clean up and restore and 100% original.

Great job mate.

Once shes waxed, waxed, waxed and waxed with new balls shell be well looked after and in prime condition for a pin that old.

Sweet stuff!

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2009, 07:17:48 PM »
Thanks Rich
                     That stuff was well worth a try ill have a go on my next mylar removal as i have a few playfields waiting to be done.
 Thanks again for sending me the stuff i cant say or spell.

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2009, 07:19:40 PM »
Thanks Gav
                    Ill just keep chipping away like ive done with the right side.  Ive come to the conclusion that ill never get it all to the really nice blue where it rubbed through so im just going to get it all as even as possible
  Thanks for all the advice

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2009, 09:08:46 PM »
Well ive pulled the pin for the night ive got the flu so 6 hours will have to do for the night getting to cold out in the shed.  Here is how ive left it still going to do a few places a bit more but its definately getting there