Author Topic: Sloppy sloppy seconds ! Yuk. Sited pins play like a bowl of custard !  (Read 1229 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Played all the machines at TimeZone today and everything 3 and 6 months old maximum plays as loose as a 90 year old hooker. You play a machine straight out of the box and everything is tighter than tight.
You play these games which get flogged 7 days a week, and everything is as weak as piss and sloppy. It's not a good advertisement for brand new pinballs.

Flippers weak.
Everything is dirty
Pop bumpers rarely engage and the pop has turned into a weak fart
Auto ball shooter is weak
Game plays slow
Everything mechanical has lost its snappyness

The Home Use Only games of Mustang, Star Trek, The Walking Dead, Ironman etc etc are so much nicer to play.

It's like getting into a brand new car with next to no kilometres compared to something which has done half a million miles.

Is it because the heat of the games being on 14 hours a day affect things as well as the high usage. But how often should these new games be getting totally re shopped if they are played all day 7 days a week ?
I am guessing every 3 months ?

I just couldn't believe how much sloppyness has crept into these new games.
I know TimeZone gives them a flogging 7 days a week 14 hrs a day but it felt like sloppy seconds which we all know no one ever wants. Lol

If u owned these games, is there anything you could do to beef them up and make sloppyness much fewer and far between or are u just stuck doing the quarterly maintainence and parts change outs ?

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
I aint saying nothing... which is something

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
I aint saying nothing... which is something

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
send the owner an email  %.%
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
maybe Stern machines aren't that great for sited machines  %.%

https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
The saying "they don't make like them like they used to" applies in this situation.

First of all, these machines are built for earning money on location (and only recently for the home market). So nothing has changed. Stern build machines, and operators are responsible for their upkeep. So let's keep one thing in mind - it is not "Stern's fault". But these games should be able to handle 24 X 7 like they used to in the Golden Era - if not better.

Most operators attend site for two reasons ;

1 - Empty the coin box
2 - Fix the coin mechanism

The site manager should be calling the operator who should be doing something about the games. But the operator is only interested in the "machine's capacity to earn money". End of story.

I have never seen a poor example of a machine in a collector's gamesroom. Never. I have never seen a perfectly working game onsite since the 80's.

Timezone and the operator would jump on any issues with redemption games - as they earn good money. Pinball does not - and pinball "ain't what it used to be.."
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Replay

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
The timezone machines always get neglected at holiday time, every year.
They should be shopped out prior to our next club meet.....hopefully....

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Forum Posts:
Walked into Playtime Northland, I see their only pin, Avatar. The playfield was beyond filthy and subsequently dull. I see the tech walk past whom I have seen at other venues, "mate, this machine is filthy might want to give it a clean" he looked at me and then at the PF and shrugs his shoulders and says "not my problem."

The exact example of the attitude of many operators, as long as the swipe mech works, who cares. So of course I don't waste any money with the knowledge of having a poor playing game ahead of me - but the next kid who wants to give it a go and feels like their money is wasted will leave a longer poor impression.

A northern Melb based operator, Frank's Amusements. Wow what a heap of unmaintained rubbish his machines are. Indy 500, trough issues. Kicks another ball into the shooter, lose one of the two and ball over. Rinse and repeat. Creature - GI almost non existent you would need a light strapped to your head in order to see the ball. All machines filthy and the only thing guaranteed to work is the coin mech.

Intensity at Chadstone. Three pins and all filthy playfields. The list goes on. Hard to find a pin in the wild and even harder to find one that is maintained and works correctly.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Walked into Playtime Northland, I see their only pin, Avatar. The playfield was beyond filthy and subsequently dull. I see the tech walk past whom I have seen at other venues, "mate, this machine is filthy might want to give it a clean" he looked at me and then at the PF and shrugs his shoulders and says "not my problem."

The exact example of the attitude of many operators, as long as the swipe mech works, who cares. So of course I don't waste any money with the knowledge of having a poor playing game ahead of me - but the next kid who wants to give it a go and feels like their money is wasted will leave a longer poor impression.

A northern Melb based operator, Frank's Amusements. Wow what a heap of unmaintained rubbish his machines are. Indy 500, trough issues. Kicks another ball into the shooter, lose one of the two and ball over. Rinse and repeat. Creature - GI almost non existent you would need a light strapped to your head in order to see the ball. All machines filthy and the only thing guaranteed to work is the coin mech.

Intensity at Chadstone. Three pins and all filthy playfields. The list goes on. Hard to find a pin in the wild and even harder to find one that is maintained and works correctly.

Don't these idiots realise that the machines would earn more coin if they were serviced properly and cleaned regularly??  ^&^ ^&^

There is a holiday resort in Port Macquarie who own three machines; Bride of pinbot, Jurassic Park and Addams Family. They pay me to keep the machines running and maintained. All they do is collect the money out of them.. they never clean them so i ALWAYS give them a bit of a clean while i'm there, after i have finished servicing them *%* *%*

I can remember when i first looked at these games, they were FILTHY, TAFs DMD was barely working (outgassed) and all had practically no G.I working, weak/worn flippers etc.  they sent each machine to me initially, one at a time for a full teardown and refurbish. They are usually pretty quick to call if there is a problem with any of the machines which is good.

BTW.. sloppy seconds... haven't heard that saying since high school!!  %.% %.% %.%

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Well I have a good story :) went to the peacock hotel in Northcote with a mate and they have a Mustang Premium & Avengers premium both in great condition and played fantastic oh and the beer was sensational to :)

But there's a family entertainment place in the West of Melbourne they have a WCS TAF FT with zero GI PF discusting and flippers barly work its a real shame.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Is this one of them Stern bashing threads?... im so sick of the bashing.. so so sick... !!!

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
Is this one of them Stern bashing threads?... im so sick of the bashing.. so so sick... !!!

Yes, a stern bashing of the lousy operators. People are so sick of poorly maintained machines in the wild that they are resorting to setting up their own home arcades. Bad for the operators, pubs and holiday resorts (and for our back pockets).
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE

Please don't help another thread go to shit :)