Author Topic: Most overated Games  (Read 1103 times)

Offline FreePlay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lewisham, Sydney
Re: Most overated Games
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2009, 04:37:51 PM »
IJ for me - and the sound drives me to tears

Offline madness

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2009, 05:29:38 PM »
STTNG ,
Worst game ive ever owned,followed very closely by Indy,Ive had 2 Indys and sold em quick.

Thought the same with the CV,but the more i played it the more i liked it #*#,i,d say better game than either my MM or MB.

Just personal preference and appealment i suppose

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2009, 06:24:09 PM »
Ten points for guys here willing to call STTNG, CV, Addams, TZ etc over-rated. Ten points also for guys who love these titles to not take offense. Just dont bash FT  :lol

Offline punter

• Forum Posts:
  • illawarra
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2009, 07:10:05 PM »
I am not going to be popular for saying this, but the most overated games are anything with a bally/williams sticker on it,with an asking price of $5500 or more. :D
* I SHLD SAY THE PRICES ARE OVER-RATED, NOT THE GAME ITSELF.
Sure bally/williams have a deep rule set, and some machines like monster bash have the best looking colours/cabinet etc known to man, but the prices now have got to the ridiculous stage.
When looked at in context, who would rather have one pin only or 4 other great titles.
example,
1 x monster bash  or  !@#

1 x last action hero
with 1 x fishtales
with 1 x freddy krueger
with 1 x frankenstein. (these x 4 titles/EXAMPLES can be picked up for around the $2 grand mark in great nick)  !@#

*thats why i have 20 plus pins which are absolutely fun, fun, fun, instead of 3 x totally over-priced bally/williams.
BUT, i want it known, BALLY/WILLIAMS are superb pinballs, no -one can dispute that, JUST OVER-PRICED. !@#
**ohhh, AND IF someone has 3 x bally/williams high end pins, instead of the 20 others 4 example, there is nothing wrong at all there, it JUST GETS DOWN TO PERSONAL CHOICE....  ^^^...NOW, WHO STARTED THIS BLOODY THREAD, WE ARE ALL GOING TO GET IN A ARGUMENT NOW.LOL.LOL. :lol
Was talking about this topic recently and totally agree with your comment.Yes it is a personal choice as to what some people will pay for a certain machine if its something they really want.For me i would rather have more good machines for your money ,which is also more variety than one.

Offline slammer

• Forum Posts:
  • Bendigo Victoria
  • Aussie Pinball - No bullshit, just pinball
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2009, 07:56:42 PM »
I find it humerous that the most overated game mentioned is the Twilight Zone, and it also heads up as the most popular pinball on our owners list.....

I think that it is definatley a love or hate relationship for this machine

Cheers Angelo

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2009, 08:45:21 PM »
Big calls here, but understandable I guess. I'd really like to know why Fish Tales is under rated and a good game. I have to admit not playing it much and I have compared it to SWEP1 in "money shots". So maybe I've missed something in the game (no idea on rule set BTW)
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2009, 09:16:10 PM »
Just an observation....only Wms/Bally machines mentioned so far.

Wms are my favourite machine, although the two Capcom machines I have briefly played were very nice, so I am not trying to bag them, but as already mentioned., some titles are very over priced.

Great bang for your buck machine - Sega's Frankenstein.  Like I say to everyone, if it had a Williams badge on it, it would have an asking price twice as much as it does now.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2009, 10:03:22 PM »

We want bang for buck. WMS/BALLY get the most bucks, so we expect the most bang in them.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2009, 10:10:04 PM »
Couple more Bally Bashings -

MM - terrific game, but not twice (or three times) some other machines, so given that is is twice of three times the price of so many other great games, makes it over-rated to me.

CV - ugly colours, annoying theme, can't enjoy this game at all, and can't understand the love it gets. Maybe it grows on you??
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2009, 10:11:14 PM »

We want bang for buck. WMS/BALLY get the most bucks, so we expect the most bang in them.

That's right but it seems it is these machines that are the biggest or most common let downs.  This being the case how or why did machines such as TZ (just cause it seems to get a few mentions in this topic) get such a BIG reputation and demand such a high price?  
Addicted to pins.

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2009, 10:20:55 PM »
I'd really like to know why Fish Tales is under rated and a good game.  (no idea on rule set BTW)

Equally best light show of any pin, great sound, great display features/animations, awesome topper, very colorful/fun artwork, the complete game that can entertain all level of players. Non stop gameplay, its continuous action that brings you back for more and more. It doesnt pretend to be complex or deep, its simple, and its got less junk on it to break-down. Simply it does what it does extremely well. 13640 units sold, and no BS expensive license to prop it up. 7.9/10 on the IPDB........lucky FT owners got what should be a top 10 machine at a bargain price. Rank 104 on the IPDB  :D Collectors with dollar sign agendas do no service to the truth in rankings.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2009, 10:35:23 PM »
U know, after reading alot of these threads, I have come to realise that the really pretty machines like Monsterbash and Circus Voltaire command big bucks...and i thought about it for a while...it reminds me of when i was a young bloke and went to the red light district with a few hundred in hand....
 I walked in, saw 5 or 6 really pretty girls, and ofcourse picked the real pretty one...she was a dud....if u know what i mean. &&  &&  &&

..so nextime (now give me a break, i was only young once)..so nextime i went back, i picked one who looked 7 outta ten, not the prettiest but still cute....well, lets say that if i had a great car, and i needed it polished,  &&      i would call her...anyway, all this talk reminded me of how we pay big money for pretty things, and not much for the more workable, but less attractive stuff....
(if this thread offends anyone, pretend ya never read it).   ^^^  ^^^  ^^^  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2009, 10:40:28 PM »
Great read so far !

I guess most opinions are focusing on Bally/Williams because they are the most popular machines. DE and Stern Games are not as common, and most DEs are not overpriced (except Guns'N'Roses).

I have played and worked on many DEs, and they don't have the wraps that Bally/williams have. No DEs are "overrated" in my book as there are not too many that are "Highly rated" in the same bracket as TZ, MB etc..

The "High End" Bally/Williams are great games in their own right, but the pricetag can cause then to be "overrated" - No "bang for Buck".

Cactus Canyon, Monster Bash and Medievel Madness are "high End" games that I just walk past on my way to look for an SS or CV. You could almost own and SS and CV for the same price as an MM. MM is nowhere near as good as either !

Fishtales can't be overrated - it is a cheaper family oriented game that is loads of fun and VERY reliable.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2009, 10:58:12 PM »
I've probally only ever played FT twice in my life as its never grabbed me with the layout but over the last few weeks I'm thinking of giving it a chance and are starting to warm to the machine-Overtimes killing me at the moment and I'm only doing it for ONE reason???? new pinball and I was thinking of Twister but now I might look for a FT @@^

What ya reckon??   Twister or FT ^&^

Peter

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2009, 11:05:55 PM »
I have a twister and a fishtales...what it gets down to is what u r going to pay.....i scored my twister in excellent home use condition and payed a guy $1800 -sydney december 09.. Its probably worth alot more (bumper action wants $3600)...I bought a fishtales jan 09 -japaneese delivered machine and i payed $2200...also worth alot more.
they r totally different machines....if u live near qld, come n play both....put it this way, twister is rare, listed at only 1600 made, but i am told by sega factory worker, really only 900.... fishtales in shopped condition is a great game..great game....twister is a great game too, but a little straight forward, but has some cool features-magnetic playfield etc etc.....look, i say take the twister for being highly collectable n modern n fun, then buy a fishtales as well later....deal/negotiate with bumper action real hard on theirs...cheers..
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !