Author Topic: Hankin - The Australian Pinball  (Read 1115 times)

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
Hankin - The Australian Pinball
« on: January 01, 2010, 09:09:28 PM »
Thought I would start a thread on the only Australian Pinball Manufaucturer apart from Cocount Island of course..

HANKIN

Now Hankin Manufactured the following machines:

Orbit 1 - 1978
FJ - 1978 - After the Holden Car, how frekin Aussie is that
Howzat - 1980 - Cricket Theame
Shark -1980
Empire Strikes Back - 1980

Now these games used the same display glass as Gottlieb did at this time the 6 digit Futaba Flurescent...With Bally type pop bumpers etc.

What I want your opinions on is the following:

1. What do you think the importance of these machines is regarding Australaian Pinball History?

2. Do you think the value of these games will increase substasially over the years given the low production numbers and the fact that they were Aus Made?  To me FJ and ESB would be the two most collectable...FJ not only to Pin lovers but also FJ Holden fanatics or Aussie Car buffs... ESB would be popular with any collector of Star Wars Memorobilia?

3.  Is this collection of all machines to be featured in the QLD Pinball museam?

4.  Any other thoughts you wish to add?

Regards
Dean

Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Re: Hankin - The Australian Pinball
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 09:37:13 PM »
I worked on these machines when they were brand new. My boss at the time had a personal friendship with the Hankin family so we bought about 5 of each model to add to the run.

To be honest my recollection of the game play was that they were pretty ordinary......
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 10:42:12 PM »

1. What do you think the importance of these machines is regarding Australaian Pinball History?

2. Do you think the value of these games will increase substasially over the years given the low production numbers and the fact that they were Aus Made?  To me FJ and ESB would be the two most collectable...FJ not only to Pin lovers but also FJ Holden fanatics or Aussie Car buffs... ESB would be popular with any collector of Star Wars Memorobilia?

1) they are a part of pinball history

2) they only had low production runs, it has been noted there were only 350 ESB made
It is now 30 years on, some people on e-bay may think they have something highly collectable, but they are not
If you are a cricket fan, FJ holden fan, or a Star Wasrs fan, the machine itself may have added apeal, but game play wise, they just did not make the grade

• Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 10:46:07 PM »

It is now 30 years on, some people on e-bay may think they have something highly collectable, but they are not
If you are a cricket fan, FJ holden fan, or a Star Wasrs fan, the machine itself may have added apeal, but game play wise, they just did not make the grade

This one ESB sold for over $3K?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280439062757&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 11:11:57 PM »

Yup - there is an idiot born every minute!
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 12:29:30 AM »

Before we assume it was a genuine sale, lets make sure we don't see a re-listing in a few weeks time "Due to a non-paying bidder.. .."

If it got the $3K plus amount then it was either a very enthusiatic SW fan who just found out about this game, or someone with a little too much Christmas Spirit (probably JD :)

Be surprised to see that price repeated - this game has its place in pin history, but not at that price IMO. But who knows, stranger things have happened.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Pinballace

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 06:20:26 AM »
Looking at photos of the FJ it looked like a cross between the Gottlieb and Atari pins.
The ramp business was very very good to me.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 07:48:50 AM »
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

no one can say the hankin empire strikes back machine doesnt look bloody unreal. it looks terrific i think.

why doesnt it make the grade ? different strokes for different folks.

RULE Number 1. - EVERY PINBALL MACHINE EVER MADE IS FUN.

RULE Number 2. - Always revert back to rule 1.

It will keep going up in value. Everything Collectable always goes up in value.
  ^^^  *Long live every pinball machine*
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 09:51:52 AM »

Mmmm sort of true... depends how much you pay initially and how long you are prepared to wait to see its value go up... in the last year, value has gone south NOT north... many games that WERE valued at $X are not reaching those figures... i got OFFERED $5K for one of my woodies some 18 months ago.. i turned it down, smiling... i didnt pay that for it obviously but i was happy at its increase in value.
Id be lucky to get $2000 for it now.

Mermaid sold for just under $20,000 - is that its value?? ONE person paid this... noone has paid it since nor will they.. this machine will not go up in value for a very long time

$10,00 KISS with stickers - price has not been repeated despite attempts to cash in by other owners.

$5000 for a GTB HUMPTY DUMPTY - unless the buyer wants another, this will not be repeated.

The rise in value of machines HAS to be exponential... they level off and stay there for LOOOOONG periods of time.. often dropping

• Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 09:54:31 AM »
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

no one can say the hankin empire strikes back machine doesnt look bloody unreal. it looks terrific i think.

why doesnt it make the grade ? different strokes for different folks.

RULE Number 1. - EVERY PINBALL MACHINE EVER MADE IS FUN.

RULE Number 2. - Always revert back to rule 1.

I am with you Caveman...I think the backglass on ESB is great,,similar in some ways to Space Invaders.....I think being low production numbers and Aussie made will see these machines as sought after collectables fetching good money...

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 11:06:43 AM »
I like ESB and FJ for there artwork and that fact that they are australian i didnt enjoy the gameplay as much as other machines but id still love one of each in my line up but not for the crazy prices.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 11:11:55 AM »
Is there any books or other wright ups on Hankin? I can remember as a kid going into there showroom in Melbourne/I think they where in hoddle street near the Victoria st intersection? by memory. None of there games in my view came close to the Williams/Bally game play but would love to have one as they are Aussie built.

Peter

Offline braddo

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 11:45:40 AM »
I remember ESB being a bad player even at the age of 10 (which is saying something), but, with only 350 being made and and absolute ripper to look at, I think it's a big prize to own if your'e are Star Wars nut (i'm not).

I don't know much about Star Wars merchandise but ESB will always be a sought after item IMO. I'm surprised it doesn't reach the prices that Kiss gets. Kiss is a better player but i reckon these types of machines are ornaments rather than games to the fans.

I think cause it's Oz made and perhaps not so known to the entire Star Wars fan universe, the wanting for this machine will grow, it will not lose value. My 2c anyway.

I also agree that ALL pinballs are fun.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 11:48:25 AM by braddo »
WTB (or possibly trade) - 1980 Stern ALI

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 12:14:59 PM »
I remember ESB being a bad player even at the age of 10 (which is saying something),

I share that exact same memory, and I want my 20 cents back!  %.%

Offline SPURR

• Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 12:48:50 PM »
Hankin had one of its main factories at Darby street in Newcastle, just near were I live. Back in 1975 I had just left school and was looking for an apprenticeship. Being a pinball freak I pested the management many times for a apprentice with there company as a pinball repair tech. They showed me around the complex and what a sight to see all new Gottlieb, Williams, Hankins , pinballs every where! I watched as brand new pins were being mylared before being put on site. After all my pestering they send me a letter to say " Sorry sir we are not looking to put on a apprentice at this stage ".
One block away from Hankin was AWA/Mitsubishi. In 1975 colour TV had just been introduced to OZ so I then started pestering them for a apprenticeship. I got a good news letter a month latter to say you have the job as a TV-Audio technician with there company. So everyday on my way home after work I would pass Hankin and always think how good would it had been to work on something I was totally addicted to.