Author Topic: Hankin - The Australian Pinball  (Read 1116 times)

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
Re: Hankin - The Australian Pinball
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2013, 09:50:07 AM »
I would like an FJ if I could get at a decent price. Just for the Australiana fact
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2013, 10:23:30 AM »
I would like an FJ if I could get at a decent price. Just for the Australiana fact

One on offer for $3950. Lot of mulah for eye candy.
http://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/lot/JTFL5KD8AAODDU7D
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2013, 10:30:47 AM »
I've just been reading through the rest of this thread. There was lots of talk about these games future worth, as well as wether or not some of the eBay prices will be repeated and even the likleyhood of non payment by winning bidders at the prices being asked. Funny how history repeats.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DENNIS-LILLEES-HOWZAT-PINBALL-MACHINE-/130877417495?pt=AU_CoinOp&hash=item1e78e6e817&_uhb=1#ht_3044wt_161

I think most here would be surprised if someone was willing to pay the 6k for this machine however not many here would be surprised to see this machine relisted due to non payment.

I haven't played any of the Hankin machines but do have to agree despite what people have said about boring game play, they do look very nice. ESB is a beauty in MHO.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2013, 10:43:18 AM »
from what I heard from pinfest last year as there was 2 there, that did not have them on public play because of the fear of over heating and parts failure as parts are very hard to find.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2013, 10:49:03 AM »
ESB was on for a short period and i managed to get a game with a sloppy flipper.. great looking game for sure but lacks pretty much everything in game play. This is a title that should never have been a wide body

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2013, 10:52:43 AM »
from what I heard from pinfest last year as there was 2 there, that did not have them on public play because of the fear of over heating and parts failure as parts are very hard to find.

There were not many Hankins in the wild during late 70s and the few that were there had the Out Of Order sign displayed a lot. Not an exciting player but certainly had the art factor.

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2013, 11:10:18 AM »

That's exactly right. It is why a few people at Pinfest twisted my arm and convinved me to re-create the full board set for these machines.

The MPU is finished and we are closing in on all the other boards pretty quickly now.

It takes a fair while from the "ïdea" of making a large board to actually having one for sale - let alone a full set of four boards.

They all bring their own challenges with modifications, parts substitutions and parts procuring before the final design is settled on.

Once these boards are ready there should be no reason for any Hankin machine to be unreliable.

Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2013, 11:16:05 AM »

That's exactly right. It is why a few people at Pinfest twisted my arm and convinved me to re-create the full board set for these machines.

The MPU is finished and we are closing in on all the other boards pretty quickly now.

It takes a fair while from the "ïdea" of making a large board to actually having one for sale - let alone a full set of four boards.

They all bring their own challenges with modifications, parts substitutions and parts procuring before the final design is settled on.

Once these boards are ready there should be no reason for any Hankin machine to be unreliable.

That's great news for Hankin owners!  ^^^

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2013, 04:42:27 PM »
ESB was on for a short period and i managed to get a game with a sloppy flipper.. great looking game for sure but lacks pretty much everything in game play. This is a title that should never have been a wide body

+1, Ian (AP member howzat) and I managed to get a game as well,

Heres a video i took on my digital camera.. apologies for the quality.. or rather lack of  !@)

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2013, 07:52:03 PM »
Cheers for above video it surprised me how fast the game played..

Peter

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2013, 08:48:48 PM »
My ESB is packed up at the moment but I definately miss the backbox in the shed.   Ill restore it one day I struggle to get the motivation because it is pretty boring to play.    Would also love an FJ just for the artwork

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2013, 08:49:07 AM »

This is where we might see the value of Hankin machines increase, same as what happened with the introduction of the Pascal and Ni-Wumpf boards for Sys 1 machines.  Anyone who fears the repairs and unreliability of a Hankin machine won't have to worry in the future.  Hats off to you Mike.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2013, 11:56:03 AM »
I think what Mike is doing is great for the remainder of machines that are still out there. Unfortunately, many hit landfill in the mid eighties. I don't think many were exported (if any) - I've never seen one re imported.

The price for the "Howzat" is a joke. No one is that stupid to pay over twice the value of the game.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline howzat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2013, 12:00:23 PM »
I have my Howzat and its a keeper     Its from my past days    They had all the Hankins in Orbit lesiure center  Parramatta    I find that there is a few issues like slow bumpers  and the displays have ghosting   Apart from that the ball flies around the Pf quite fast  and its always keeps me challenged

Im thinking that Mikes new board is the way to go ,as Mitch reckons it should fix the ghosting  and he recently he sorted out the bumpers

The art on these games is very colorful and David Hankin told me at Pinfest that they copied Bally Space invaders B/G for E S B    I Had to laugh    :lol      

Just one final thing I was told that Hankins owned the Orbit lesiure centre chain     Dose any one know of this       Howzat

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2013, 12:46:47 PM »

Just one final thing I was told that Hankins owned the Orbit lesiure centre chain     Dose any one know of this       Howzat

That would not surprise me as I remember only seeing them at Orbit in the early 80s.

Another question someone may have answer to, did Stern Meteor get assembled at Hankin facility in Newcastle? I know that Aust. Meteors were assembled in Newcastle. Economies of scale would indicate that they were assembled on an existing production line.