Author Topic: Hankin - The Australian Pinball  (Read 1114 times)

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
Re: Hankin - The Australian Pinball
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2013, 01:15:35 PM »

Just one final thing I was told that Hankins owned the Orbit lesiure centre chain     Dose any one know of this       Howzat

That would not surprise me as I remember only seeing them at Orbit in the early 80s.

Another question someone may have answer to, did Stern Meteor get assembled at Hankin facility in Newcastle? I know that Aust. Meteors were assembled in Newcastle. Economies of scale would indicate that they were assembled on an existing production line.

Weren't the Meteor's done by Leusire and Allied?
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2013, 01:19:15 PM »

Just one final thing I was told that Hankins owned the Orbit lesiure centre chain     Dose any one know of this       Howzat

That would not surprise me as I remember only seeing them at Orbit in the early 80s.

Another question someone may have answer to, did Stern Meteor get assembled at Hankin facility in Newcastle? I know that Aust. Meteors were assembled in Newcastle. Economies of scale would indicate that they were assembled on an existing production line.

Were they made in Perth?
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2013, 11:51:50 PM »

An interesting question. As far I can remember, Meteor and Galaxy were made under license by Leisure and Allied in Newcastle. Somewhere along the line, Cosmic Princess was introduced as a "kit" to bypass import duties of entire games from the USA. These were also done at a factory in Newcastle.

It would be interesting to see what David Hankin has to say about this - maybe Mike can ask him ? Interesting piece of history.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 10:49:52 AM by Strangeways »
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline shamus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • wollongong
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2013, 12:32:17 AM »
im sure hankins also imported the early gottliebs as an ex-owner of a high hand it had a hankins sticker on the apron an excellent mylar job on the playfied and daggy woodgrain stuck around the shooter arch and pop bumpers which preseved well. after peeling the woodgrain shit off and cleaning the playfield came up brillant.anyone know of any other em,s with a similar history ?

Offline ralph67

• Forum Posts:
  • Stoneville
    • ralph1967@optusnet.com.au
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2013, 02:21:30 AM »
im sure hankins also imported the early gottliebs as an ex-owner of a high hand it had a hankins sticker on the apron an excellent mylar job on the playfied and daggy woodgrain stuck around the shooter arch and pop bumpers which preseved well. after peeling the woodgrain shit off and cleaning the playfield came up brillant.anyone know of any other em,s with a similar history ?
Yes a mate is restoring a Gottlieb wedgehead (Top Card) and it has the woodgrain applied to shooter arch area and i have a couple of stripped gottlieb PF's that have the same woodgrain applied . I did wonder who or why this was done because its a different way of protecting the PF . These PF's are over here in WA
One-Ball!

Offline ralph67

• Forum Posts:
  • Stoneville
    • ralph1967@optusnet.com.au
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2013, 02:30:08 AM »

Were they made in Perth?
I have been told by a former LAI worker that Hot Hand ,Cosmic Princess and others were made/assembled at the LAI factory in North Perth . Also was told games were Made/assembled at other locations around Australia . On a footnote i have seen Meteor backglasses With the LAI logo aswell as the Stern Logo . Whilst others just have the Stern Logo
One-Ball!

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2013, 08:46:09 AM »

I have been told by a former LAI worker that Hot Hand ,Cosmic Princess and others were made/assembled at the LAI factory in North Perth . Also was told games were Made/assembled at other locations around Australia . On a footnote i have seen Meteor backglasses With the LAI logo aswell as the Stern Logo . Whilst others just have the Stern Logo

Thanks Ralph for your answer. I remember an operator telling me years ago that the Sterns he had were assembled in Aust. It would be interesting to know just how many and which titles were done here. That just goes to show how big the pinball industry was back in the 70s. Some people must be out there who were on the assembly lines of Hankin and LAI. Wouldn't that make a great historic recollection of the past!
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,