Author Topic: RATE THIS PINBALL MACHINE ?  (Read 1033 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: RATE THIS PINBALL MACHINE ?
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2010, 10:42:38 PM »
My opinion.... its an Ok machine but about $1500 overpriced... can honestly say ive managed to live without one for this long with no trouble at all ( hate that pic of Indy on it too!!)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2010, 11:09:47 PM »
Ok, our post gets deeper. This is an interesting one !

Heres the 64 million dollar question then >

"if indianna, star trek next gen and twilight zone" are considered "not good players" by alot of members who have alot of experience with pinballs, (and you guys do know alot about pinball, i gotta give u that )

WHY did each of these titles sell between 12 and 15 thousand units. ? someone thought they were great machines. Operators must have been getting alot of coin from them all. And no-one puts coins in a machine alot, unless it is a good player !

so there is a catch 22 here. machines that dont play well, but get played lots. now i need a bourban to think about that one. lol

long live pinball.  ^^^  ^^^  ^^^

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2010, 11:29:55 PM »

It is all up to personal opinion. Those three titles could have sold 30,000 units each and made operators richer than Mr Trump.

I'll go back a step - back into my preferred era..

Eight Ball (1977) - 20,000 units sold. One of THE most requested titles. Not one drop target and it is a boring game.
KISS (1978) - 17,000 units sold. All time favorite band, yet the game is BORING. Coin box emptied every 2 days.
Mata Hari (1978) - 16,000 units sold. Nice looking game that resembles many GTB EMs (Spirit of 76..) - Not seen much these days (parted out) ?

Paragon (1979) - 9,000 units sold. BEST SS ever produced. Slowly becoming the most sought after SS of the era.

I'd rather own a Paragon than the other three.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2010, 11:34:39 PM »
It can safely be said that a vast majority of a nation of Germans were wrong during the war.

LOL

Yep IJ was a good seller as was TZ, but TZ i find irritating after going back to it and Indy i just dont like the artwork or the play - irritating again.

TAF - i love.

To be quite honest, i think a pin can have TOO much going on - i cant keep track of it all and actually get lost in a game... JD was the same when i had one of these - id get to a point and just could not work out where i was meant to shoot again unless the idea is to just keep going up left and right ramps.. id just reach a stalemate.

Apart from that - IJ is just TOO BROWN for me - i hate brown

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2010, 11:42:05 PM »
the first line was deep retro. 

and yes, brown is a shitty colour.  *)*  maybe that brown colour was the undoing of the germans during the war. such an unhappy colour.  @.@  lol

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2010, 11:44:31 PM »
IJ is a nice pin to play but way over priced. Bloody ugly too, especially when faded. I would much rather play a CFTBL or WCS 94. Now they are fun.

TZ bores me to tears. I couldn't wait to get rid of mine.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2010, 11:52:07 PM »
the first line was deep retro

LOl- i have my moments,

but Creech sums it up - IJ is bloody ugly

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2010, 12:02:58 AM »
BEWARE THE MODE HOLE.......

Damn it....damn.,,,damn.., damn mode hole...

IJ is a nice fun game...just get rid of the stinking mode hole.... **& **& **& ^&^

NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2010, 12:09:56 AM »
nice video of this brown beauty.

this game looks anything but boring. gee you guys are hard to please. lol  %@#   $&& $&& $&&

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2010, 12:12:42 AM »
Im far from hard to please just give me any pin and a few cans of JW and im set  ^^^

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2010, 12:12:53 AM »
I have enjoyed playing IJ on site in the day, and also at meets.

Never owned one, so couldn't tell you about long term appeal.

For the record. TZ was actually a poor earning machine on site despite the number of machines sold.

It really hit it's own with the home market, due to the deep rule set.

It's really one of those games where you need to spend a shit load of time with it to get to know it.  Addams is awesome because the average punter can walk up and get stuck into it straight away.  Plus it's deep enough for the seasoned player.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2010, 08:49:14 AM »
I think there may be a perception with some of these machines as well that people think - it has an asking price of $5000 therefore it must be a good machine as opposed to that Whitewater over there for $2000 which must be crap (it wasn't that long ago this is what WH2O machines were selling for).  Not always necessarily the case though.

These highly regarded machines have got the reputation and the hype around them, how they got it I'm not sure.  Personally I like the road you are on with your collection - a heap of machines that you don't see everyday, something different and not the stereotypical big name collection with bang for your buck.
Addicted to pins.

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2010, 06:21:07 PM »
I've had my Indy for about 12 months and really love it.  I have only been into this hobby for about 15 months so have not played heaps and heaps of titles.  I would say though that i rate my Jurassic Park almost as good as Indy.

What i like about Indy is i can just explain 1 part of the ruleset to someone who comes over and has never played a machine before (eg: hit the centre hole 3 times for multiball) and they can just enjoy doing that rather than needing to understand all the rules and a lot of people in this category reckon this is the best pin out of Jurassic Park, STTNG, Hook, Black Rose.

For me, as i said its only just better that Jurassic Park, but one thing that keeps me coming back to Indy is i've never come really close to completing all 12 modes in one game yet, so i love the challenge of that.

Mode start is an easy fix, swap the mode start stopper thingy with the centre hole scoop, since then i've probably only had 2 times the ball has bounced out.

If i was starting from scratch from two scenarios

1          If i had $5k to spend on my whole collection - i would buy 2 or 3 other titles.

2          If i already had a few machines and a bit of spare cash i would definetily have one.

My situation was that the machine was available for $300 (thats not a typo) so it was a no brainer, and this is unlikely to happen again....

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2010, 08:47:38 PM »
robm, i reckon after watching the video on indiana jones, i reckon this is a beautiful pin to look at and has lots n lots of features and challenges.

thanks for your great response, cause it did deal with the benefits of the gameplay, which is what i was after. thankyou.  ^^^

Offline indazone gav

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2010, 08:57:48 PM »
I have a smallish collection of CV, MB, TZ, SM, WCS, TOM and IJ. IJ would be the last pin I'd sell, not saying that it is my favourite pin of all time although it is right up there, but it's one of the few that my whole family enjoys. I always go back playing this pin and find it deep enough in rules to keep me challenged and also easy enough for guests and kids to get a good game and see some of it's many features. Looks great, plays great and ties in perfectly with the theme(probably better than any other machine). These are just my opinions and I think you should always try playing a pin before you decide yourself if you like one or not. For me it's an absolute keeper. ^^^