Author Topic: RATE THIS PINBALL MACHINE ?  (Read 1030 times)

Offline Greg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
Re: RATE THIS PINBALL MACHINE ?
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2010, 09:46:55 PM »
this is another interesting thread
and  begs a few questions

whom are you collecting for?

are you "collecting" the games you like or
are you collecting games for the "WoW" factor 

when I started all I wanted was the "A" games until I came across a interesting  discovery
some "A" titles  I simply don't like  TaF , Sttng, IJ WCS-94 but the most interesting thing I've discovered
is  DE-Stern, Capcom and Bally and GTB made games (in my opinion ) that are more fun to play
than a lot of the so called "A" titles including IJ

but to answer your question would I own a IJ...NO
its a nice game but theres probably 20-30 games out there that are more enjoyable to me
http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/
We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline braddo

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2010, 10:21:22 PM »
This is a good thread, but someone should start a 'what is an 'A' title game' thread. Sorry can't help out with IJ cause i've never played one, don't want to get off topic but since it's been talked about, an 'A' title game to me would be Gorgar, Flash, Paragon, King of Diamonds, Meteor, Getaway II, I could go on and on and on. Shit, my whole wish list is all 'A' tltles %.%. All personal preference it's art after all.

eg. Never played or saw Flash when i was young, bought it off Rollerball simply because I could. BUT, I can play this pin for hours, it's getting better and better all the time, more challenging all the time, and i'm finding different strategies every time I play every ball. The sign of a great game, i now class it as a classic 'A' title game.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 10:28:38 PM by braddo »
WTB (or possibly trade) - 1980 Stern ALI

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2010, 10:27:43 PM »
you collect what you like and can afford

Just owning one working pin is pretty cool, after that its just gravy really  *%*

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2010, 10:36:39 PM »
i collect pinballs for any reason, any excuse.

to play them, to show them off, for investment, to look at with all the lights off, any excuse or reason will do.

the best big boys toy ever made. bar none. !
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2010, 10:45:28 PM »

well boobies come close, but only miss out because they come with a package deal  %$%

Offline braddo

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2010, 11:06:14 PM »

well boobies come close, but only miss out because they come with a package deal  %$%

Yeah and are WAY more expensive to 'have around' just to play with, when you add it all up. Especially as a long term investment.
WTB (or possibly trade) - 1980 Stern ALI

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2010, 08:55:37 AM »
Well, certainly an interesting topic!

I don't think I've played one long enough to comment on the long-term keeper status, but to me it is a good enough title that is instantly recognisable. If money was no object then I would be buying a good clean example for a decent price (that way if you do get bored with it you can sell it on at what you bought it for at worst).

Given that money is an object for me I would rather be buying two or three pins for the same final sum.

Offline silverball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2010, 09:39:16 AM »
Mate of mine has an IJ that I enjoy playing when I visit, have no desire to pay $3500-$5000 for one. Had A TZ - gone. Had an Addams - gone. Had a small pinball meet recently and amongst 26 working pins STRIKER XTREME got hammered, clearly the most popular game of the night.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2010, 09:41:24 AM »
Mate of mine has an IJ that I enjoy playing when I visit, have no desire to pay $3500-$5000 for one. Had A TZ - gone. Had an Addams - gone. Had a small pinball meet recently and amongst 26 working pins STRIKER XTREME got hammered, clearly the most popular game of the night.

As I keep saying, Striker Xtreme is very under-rated...

If you are looking for a cheapish pin grab one before everyone else discovers that as well.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2010, 09:43:10 AM »

Ironic - I remember playing your Striker Xtreme and thoroughly enjoying it. A very simply yet enjoyable pin that can be sourced for under $2K. It will never make the "A" list.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

Offline silverball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2010, 09:52:47 AM »

Ironic - I remember playing your Striker Xtreme and thoroughly enjoying it. A very simply yet enjoyable pin that can be sourced for under $2K. It will never make the "A" list.
Thats just it Nino....who decides the A list? Its a keeper for me so it makes my A list.

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2010, 12:35:04 PM »
An A list title to me is what i like to play and would consider adding to my collection, not what others think an A title is !  ^^^

Who determines what an A list title is anyway !  !@#

To me its the individual who decides which is an A title...
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2010, 06:47:18 PM »

+1 Dave.  Very enjoyable game and fun.

For me, I enjoy games I keep coming back to - something that has that 'hook' to keep my interest in a game.  Sometimes it can be instant, sometimes may take a few games.
I recently played a very clean example of a Pinball Magic.  This is a great game, good fun and kept me coming back.  Based on the number produced - does this make it a good or bad pin?  I also played a near mint Champion Pub.  I had walked past this game previously at Marks 100 times and never given it a second thought.  After playing it I want one.  I cannot understand how this game was not a massive hit sited..(1300+ units made).
Striker Extreme - again.  Sleeper of a game but enjoyable to play.  Same goes for LAH.  Very underrated.
I have tried and tried to get into Addams.  Just can't do it.  Many people love this game and they enjoy playing it.  Because it sold over 20,000 units does it make it the best game of all time - or was it just produced at exactly the right time with the right features, righ theme when demand was at its greatest?
IJ - I have played it about 5 times in total.  It does not do it for me but I was not a fan of the shows so I don't know whether that has any impact on it.  I would still prefer two cheaper games to it.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 07:00:20 PM by MartyJ »

Offline Greg

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2010, 07:57:19 PM »

Dave had better known titles but the Boys just belted that striker from start to finish
(didn't they TV1 ),

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2010, 10:29:41 PM »
quote from pintoxicated.

" Personally I like the road you are on with your collection - a heap of machines that you don't see everyday, something different and not the stereotypical big name collection with bang for your buck ".

The machines I have so far are -

Batman Forever (Sega, 1995)
Black Knight 2000 (WMS, 1989)
Bugs Bunny's Birthday Ball x 2 (Bally, 1991)
Fish Tales (WMS, 1992)
Freddy: A Nightmare On Elm Street (GTB, 1994)
Godzilla (Sega, 1998)
Independence Day (Sega, 1996)
Judge Dredd (Bally, 1993)
Last Action Hero (DE, 1993)
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (Sega, 1995)
Popeye Saves The Earth (Bally, 1994)
Space Jam (Sega, 1996)
Star Trek 25th Anniversary x 2 (DE, 1991)
Star Trek: The Next Generation x 2 (WMS, 1993)
Star Wars Trilogy (Sega, 1997)
Starship Troopers (Sega, 1997)
Tales From The Crypt (DE, 1993)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (DE, 1991)
Theatre Of Magic (Bally, 1995)
The X Files (Sega, 1997)
Twilight Zone (Bally, 1993)
Twister (Sega, 1996)
Viper Night Drivin' (Sega, 1998)
WWF Royal Rumble (DE, 1994)

Infact, i bought half of these machines because most people told me they were not A grade titles, the other half cause they were just interesting looking. And even Popeye is alot of fun. But now, i am just going to buy a -
 indianna jones
 an addams family
 a sega lost world-jurasic park
to round out the collection. I have plans for more but, the next 3 or 4 will have to do for the time being.

i dont think there is such a thing as a A grade title, just A grade prices for some pins with big reputations like Twilight Zone.
 maybe the price relates to the amount of hardware like star trek next gen or twilight with so much hardware to adjust and  fix before you can sell it in A grade condition.
I realkly do think that Indianna redecalled looks bloody good though. time will tell.lol   ^^^  ^^^  ^^^

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !