Author Topic: New Stern Video - The Pin !  (Read 1505 times)

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: New Stern Video - The Pin !
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2012, 01:40:25 AM »
hey guys im putting in an order on one, who wants to share postage with me?? <..>
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 07:37:15 AM by The Stern Opinion »

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2012, 08:44:22 AM »
They will probably sell a hand full of these fugly pinballs and the rest will be sold off cheap somewhere, bad move stern really wrong call.

Peter

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2012, 09:57:56 AM »
they have the marketing power of the Hasbro label behind it, dont discount the effectiveness of that aspect

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2012, 10:01:13 AM »

If this is aimed at kids (with rich parents), it won't work . Kids don't have the attention span these days. For $3000, go and buy them a nice fishtales.

Absolutely a backwards step for stern. Their marketing dept are still in the dark ages.

Kids in general don't have the attention span at all for pinball these days, they would much rather do other things..... who will be buying pinballs in 30+ yrs???............. @@^
Enjoy it while you can.

Attention span - Yep - I totally agree.

Rather do other things - This is interesting. Whenever we have family gatherings at my place, my nieces and nephews cannot pull themselves off the pinballs or the soccer table. Because they are not exposed to pinball like our generation, they have a fascination with them when they do play them. The only time they lose interest is when their phones ring or they need to get on facebook to see their messages. I often see games left with a couple of balls remaining and the niece / nephew is in the corner looking at their phone. I feel VERY sorry for this generation. Once pinball is gone, it will never return. This is what I keep telling my son. Thankfully, he shares my passion.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2012, 11:23:40 AM »
 <..>
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 07:36:29 AM by The Stern Opinion »

Offline RottyGuy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
  • QLD
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2012, 06:03:45 PM »
Teenagers don't think pinball is cool and no pinball company is going to spend money trying to change that.

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2012, 08:17:14 PM »
 <.>
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 07:36:08 AM by The Stern Opinion »

Offline RottyGuy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
  • QLD
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2012, 08:41:20 PM »
Teenagers don't think pinball is cool and no pinball company is going to spend money trying to change that.

it must be one of those rare businesses where they dont like making money, lol

You're the expert dealing with hundreds of teenagers as you said, but i don't see teenagers having any interest in pinball machines. Go to any arcade
and see what these kids are playing. It's not pinball. Those days are dead.

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2012, 09:05:38 PM »
this will be a hit 100%, what do you know, you dont make pinballs do you?? yer thats right, stern does so you arm chair pinball makers dont know nothing, but your opinion does matter
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 07:35:43 AM by The Stern Opinion »

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2012, 10:25:15 PM »
Jusat had teenagers visit my house.. theyd never seen a pinball before or any real arcade game for that matter. One  of them just kept hovering around me all afternoon, in the end i asked if he would like me to turn the games on now... ( LOL - im cruel!).

They had a ball and i couldnt get them off the games to get dinner... the oldest ( 15) turned to his mum and said...These are soooo cool mum, this is all so cool.

My personal opinion is that pinball left teenagers behind.. the shutting of WMS/Bally etc made way for a generation that got left out of the deal. Pinball was still huge in the pubs up till 1995 when i left UK. I know Stern still kicked on but they didnt do much to fill the void left behind and operators really stopped putting them onsite.
Kids love pins ( and my gun games).. problem is that they are not there for them to experience

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2012, 10:45:22 PM »

An interesting discussion. I keep hearing that pinball should be marketed to teens. But remembering back in the old days - There was no marketing for pinball. The only marketing was flyers and monthly industry mags that went out to operators. Arcades did all the marketing.

What kids USED to do - Finish school, get on their bike or skateboard and hang out with each other in an arcade or coffee shop (as they were). These were "the" meeting places for kids. They socialized, at an arcade (or any place with a pinball) was a meeting point for them. They caused trouble, looked for girls and passed time playing pinball - Because that's what kids DID.

What kids do today - Finish school, get on their computers, and hang out on facebook or chat sites. Play online games and listen to their free downloaded music. On the odd occasion, they might go down to the local shopping mall to look at the girls walking around. Usually with their iPods in their ears, and mumbling to each other.

When I was a kid - there were plenty of parks and road tracks - "outdoors" stuff. There's no incentive for kids to leave their bedrooms. Everything is done for them. It is a different generation that expect everything on a plate. My generation tried to fit as many different things into the day.

I'd love a social experiment where a shop is used to play pinball. Not SELL pinball - PLAY pinball.

The bait and hook is still there. If a teen HAS to leave their house and go to a house where they have to socialize and there just happens to be pinballs, they WILL play them. That's a fact.

Head down to the local gamesroom to play pinball and most of the time the games don't work or they are filthy. That is "unfortunately" the marketing of today.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2012, 12:02:28 AM »
Best game EVER, stern know the market, you guys dont stop being haters man
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 07:34:19 AM by The Stern Opinion »

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2012, 04:12:54 PM »
Playing devil's advocate here, but did anyone consider that these ideas (kiddie machines, ticket dispensers) may not even be at the instigation of G Stern?

Remember he had a "white knight" investment company come to his rescue with a funding package a few years to stop the doors from closing. Part of that funding package could have had stipulations attached to it that new markets must be explored and new concepts tested in the future.

Just a thought.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2012, 05:55:58 PM »
Playing devil's advocate here, but did anyone consider that these ideas (kiddie machines, ticket dispensers) may not even be at the instigation of G Stern?

Remember he had a "white knight" investment company come to his rescue with a funding package a few years to stop the doors from closing. Part of that funding package could have had stipulations attached to it that new markets must be explored and new concepts tested in the future.

Just a thought.

Of course it did.. no investor is going to stump up a wad of cash and tell the main owner to just carry on with the same formula you have been using  that has almost sent you under.
The whole recent " lift" with Sterns games is a direct result of fresh cash and new impetance... it started with ACDC... seems to have continued with X -Men and the faithful tell us that AVENGERS is also a ripper.
It was very clear that STERN was stagnating big time... slump in sales... boring titles, lack lustre game play and a feeling of complete cheapness to the machines. People like JJP dont set up because its common knowledge that Stern have the market cornered.. they set up cos they HAVE NOT got the market cornered and are willing to stump up big $$ to prove it.

The fresh injection at Stern may just be enough to keep it alive... better titles, better made, redemption tickets, LCD... all positive moves in the right direction

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2012, 06:43:30 PM »
are they better made though? certainly dont seem to the quality of wms/bally anyway. The new boards are populated with SMDs, not the kind of stuff we will be able to fix ourselves.