Author Topic: Re-wire a head??  (Read 353 times)

mark jackson

• Trade Count: (0)
Re-wire a head??
« on: December 02, 2010, 02:22:22 PM »
Is there someone who has the skills to re-wire the head on my Kings & Queens. I've just begun this and have two major problems. I don't have enough of the right wiring to match the colours etc. Daniel will help me out here when he gets back from hols. ... The main trouble is that I'm not sure that I have enough knowledge/skills in this area. If there's someone who is looking for some paid work, and has the skills to get this job done, please get in touch and we can work something out. I don't like to surrender on pinnie jobs, but 'a man's got to know his limitations' as Clint once said. Cheers, Mark

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Re-wire a head??
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 03:49:35 PM »

Suggestion - I'd beg / borrow / steal another complete head as a comparison and attempt to copy it. Often the wiring diagrams don't reflect the actual wire color.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 06:17:47 PM »

Suggestion - I'd beg / borrow / steal another complete head as a comparison and attempt to copy it. Often the wiring diagrams don't reflect the actual wire color.
I agree stand another machine next to it, the other machine will help you know where to run the wires to make a neat job of it (and follow the wiring diagram).

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 10:58:38 PM »
He does have one to copy off luckily big job but definately not impossible

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 11:11:23 PM »
I gotta give it to you... wiring a whole head from scratch is a pretty daunting task... not sure id like to go there i must admit.

Now the only guy i know of that would be able to do this and very easily is the deaf and dumb tech that Michael Shalhoub uses... this guy  is a whizz on EM's... he is in Sydney too

mark jackson

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 12:30:32 PM »
I'm going to push on and see if I can't get this part of things together. I know that for many of you, this would be a relatively straightforward exercise, but for me this is hard. ...(even with a head to copy from). However, when I get enough wire so that I can match the colours properly, I will feel better about this. I started to do some of it, but had to use other colours of wire. Then when I looked at it the next day, I thought it looked crap, and will start again when I have the right wires to do this as 'correctly' as I can. ...still electrically challenged after all these years!

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 02:28:23 PM »
Best of luck, I'm sure it's going to be a challenge, but then, all the better you'll feel when you succeed.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline oldpins

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane North QLD
    • oldpinballs.com
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 03:50:29 PM »
If you are not able to source the variety of wire colours required, there are wire identifiers available from electrical wholesalers in the form of number stickers or number bands. These you could use at each end of a wire run.
Hope all goes well !