Author Topic: STERN CATACOMB BACKGLASS  (Read 356 times)

Offline marty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
STERN CATACOMB BACKGLASS
« on: March 24, 2011, 09:54:05 PM »
I require a backglass for a Stern Catacomb or someone to print one.

I have graphics I made myself which can be printed .. but I can't find anyone who can print them. I rang bannershop.com.au and a bloke said no worries, FTP'd the graphics to them and then some young chick rings me the next day and has no idea of what is required. She had NEVER heard of a pinball machine, let alone a backglass.

She was going to get back to me .... but I forgot to ask in which century that might be, because I haven't heard a thing since.

Similarly, other printers that advertise large format printing on backlit media have not responded to my emails.

I am happy to pay for one already made .. or make one up with perspex sheeting and prints.

Can anyone assist ??

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
Re: STERN CATACOMB BACKGLASS
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 10:02:10 PM »
the size in megabytes needs to be about 20mb,try gavin retropin
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 10:12:27 PM »
Studley is right... bigger the file, better the BG result.

You can get this done at any sign print shop that will accomodate you.

You need it printed in REVERSE onto clear vinyl.. make sure that the print is double strike or it will wash out as soon as light hits it.
Apply this to your sheet of acrylic or glass using the WET method... say 1/2 ltre water to 4 drops wahing up liquid in a garden spray... liberally wet the glass.. apply print, align and squeedgy out from centre to edge.
Leave this to dry overnight.

Now you need some white transluscent vinyl ( is a light dispersor)... apply this on top of print once again usinf WET method.. all edges trimmed with new scapel blade.

At this point you can add any blockout on the back... GAME OVER letters can be inserted etc

Once this is done, a spray of clear to seal it all.

Once dried place over a light source and cut out score windows.

Flip glass over and you have yourself a very good looking backglass

Offline marty

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 12:13:51 AM »
Replies aready. I'm impressed.

OK ... I have 2 x tiff files (300 dpi) made from 2 full size (724mm x 648mm) high res scans in Canada by an owner of a Catacomb and fortunately having the skills, equipment and time to make me some excellent scans. I have removed some speckle, colour matched some areas and re-worked some scan lines to a reasonably retentive level of detail in Photoshop.

The main image file comes in at 390Mb and the masking layer is a mere 260Mb. Clear areas and translucent areas (like Game Over and such) are properly layered in the graphics as a printer would want them.

I have approached about 4 or so printers that print large HQ images on backlit media, but no takers as yet.

I have seen various printable backlit media. I didn't know that vinyl came in clear, which will be essential for this backglass as it has a very large clear area. I will "re-pursue" some earlier enquiries knowing that.

If I can get them printed on clear vinyl, my skills are up to doing the spray and squeegee method competently. Thanks for that.

And ... who is this gavin retropin of which you speak?

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 12:16:37 AM »
Gavin aka Retropin is the one who answered your question in detail (the post above yours).

Offline marty

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 12:33:55 AM »
doh

Offline yourdreamin

• Forum Posts:
  • barrack point
  • how much are your askin
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 09:46:01 PM »
pm me your ph i may be able to produce one for you, whats your location ?