Author Topic: 1st Annual Pinball Festival - 2012 - Newcastle area  (Read 14888 times)

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Re: 1st Annual Pinball Festival - 2012 - Newcastle area
« Reply #165 on: September 10, 2012, 09:31:21 AM »
Huge thanks to all involved for arranging this awesome event  ^^^. Extremely well done to everyone involved.
I took my brother and 13yr old nephew along yesterday and we had a blast .
Caught up with a few members and great to finally meet Mike and Gav .

Heard lots of parents (mostly Dads) telling their kids about their arcade days and saw lots of kids and families having a great time .

All the games I saw looked to be very well looked after and some great looking restored EM's there too .

Excellent venue for an event like this.

Looking forward to next year .

For anyone interested ..

Thats me in the AP shirt in the last pic in post 152 , with my brother playing JP next to me and nephew waiting for his turn .

« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 09:35:04 AM by goodolddays »
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #166 on: September 10, 2012, 10:33:37 AM »
Fantastic job guys, well done! Looks like a great event  *%*

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #167 on: September 10, 2012, 12:10:22 PM »
Hi Wotto, It was just unusual not to see a Addams Family or a Twilight Zone given they were made in the 15,000 bracket, but another one i also just remembered was Star Trek Next Generation. Again, a very high number made etc.
But i am sure everyone who went had a blast because they had alot of great machines to chose from. I wouldnt mind taking down 35 machines next year if i was allowed. I would just exclude the ones that people down that way already have, but I would love to take down the collection that i have decided to keep for the time being seeing I sold the stored machines. Just have to think about hiring a cheap semi trailer to move them.lol

Maybe the owner of the venue should be thinking of extra extra rooms because the enthusiasm of the pinball community could probably go nuts and fill the place 5 times over if given the opportunity.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #168 on: September 10, 2012, 12:27:36 PM »
There was a lack of some cookies, because the guys that contributed machines didnt own any of them. TZ maybe an iconic game, but would it be a good game to introduce a newbie to pinball?

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #169 on: September 10, 2012, 12:36:41 PM »
yeh TZ would be fine for a newbie, any machine really, cause on looks alone, some machines just pull you in and you want to buy them after seeing the really cool artwork etc.  Any pinball machine is a definate attraction for sure. Any widebody machine with a pair of Swinksy's mirror blades would look as wide as a cruise ship.lol

As it was, it would have looked super cool to any newbie walking into the Pinfest. Like kids in a lollie shop. Nothing looks better than a big room full of pinnies all lit up.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 03:38:20 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #170 on: September 10, 2012, 01:03:39 PM »
Nothing looks better than a big room full of pinnies all lit up.

Agree 100% - well apart from a nice set of ......... #@#
DW Drums rule !

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #171 on: September 10, 2012, 01:22:22 PM »
Just a few things after reading the banter of people that were not involved, and privy to the background organisation. Pinfest is forum neutral, representatives of both forums, and all sponsors were made aware that Pinfest volunteers would hang any banners, and hand-out any promo gear. AA just happened to have a banner/promo stuff, and AP had keyrings, plus both forums given free sponsorship in the booklet. We couldnt have been more fair in this.

It is remiss for people to single-out/name individuals, and attribute much of the succcess to them. Pinfest was a team effort, and just a handful of people could never pull-off an event of this magnitude.

The Newcastle Pinball Association welcomes you guys next year, and know that Nino will be bringing some of his awesome resto's along for everyone to enjoy, plus I expect a huge-arse banner!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 01:24:07 PM by Extra Ball »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #172 on: September 10, 2012, 03:59:20 PM »
Only the AP guys we know like Swinksy, Homepin and Retropin were named/singled out and thanked for their efforts cause we dont have any information at all as to who the committe was made up of etc.
Since 9 out of 10 committe members were from another forum, its not like we were going to thank non AP people personally on AP because we dont know who they are. I am sure the other forum would be thanking their people like we thanked ours. Also, thats why a general thanks to the Newcastle Pinball Assosciation was made cause that includes everyone. Perhaps the NPA would encourage/invite more AP people to join the committe and we can get more than 1 person on the team. It all means a bigger n better show for next year.

It is great that the whole show was forum neutral and professionally run. I think the banner thing came as a surprise to some, reading some of the response comments about it. I am sure the mix up wont occur again next year and people from AP will happily fly a flag/banner etc. As long as people dont try to out do each other with forum stuff/advertising, the forum inclusion thing sounds like a great idea.
Looking forward to next years committe make up and ideas.  Until then, we will keep dealing with Swinksy and get/give questions to him about the next show if thats OK with Swinksy since he has done a great job keeping us up to date on AP.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 04:15:49 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #173 on: September 10, 2012, 04:21:16 PM »
Just appreciate that other pinfest organisers are members of both forums, yes swinks and Gav are more active on AP.
Cheers

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #174 on: September 10, 2012, 04:25:31 PM »
Alot of us on here dont go on the other forum at all, so I personally wouldnt know that about committe members being on both forums or who they are etc.

Accordingly, for those that dont go on the other forum, EB, it might be a great idea to list the guys who are on the committe if thats OK. They should all be thanked for their great efforts and if we know who they are etc, it will help with communication for next year. Again, the show was great and every person who contributed did a amazing job.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 11:52:49 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #175 on: September 10, 2012, 06:16:08 PM »
I am personally sick to death of this forum vs forum crap .. its all about the hobby . Pinfest was a great showcase for the hobby .  ()
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #176 on: September 10, 2012, 07:04:21 PM »
well said

On a happier note, check this story published by respected gaming writer.

http://justonemoregame.wordpress.com/2012/09/07/pinfest-how-one-mad-idea-came-to-fruition/

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #177 on: September 10, 2012, 07:29:19 PM »
I don't see the issue with a few personal thanks as it is much appreciated and makes the effort all the more worth while. Crikey, hats off to Gav and Mike for flying from Qld, with promo luggage and paying for a rent a car and accommodation etc - that is dedication and faith that this was going to be a great show - thanks guys  @@*.

People are just being honest, where calling people out and introducing this comment is negative to the positive (the show just passed) - lets just keep it all positive as negative crap just leaves a bad taste.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 07:57:39 PM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #178 on: September 10, 2012, 07:59:42 PM »
last little vid with alot of photos quickly mashed in together with some old and new pinball music.

http://youtu.be/Al__VUlWZ_w

Great vids, swinks and a top effort overall. Your genuine passion for the hobby is without question.  ()

Did you take any of your product along to the Pinfest (mirror blades etc)? Or did any of the machines set up have your blades installed?

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #179 on: September 10, 2012, 08:54:28 PM »
last little vid with alot of photos quickly mashed in together with some old and new pinball music.

http://youtu.be/Al__VUlWZ_w

Great vids, swinks and a top effort overall. Your genuine passion for the hobby is without question.  ()

Did you take any of your product along to the Pinfest (mirror blades etc)? Or did any of the machines set up have your blades installed?

Thanks mate, much appreciated and like you said did it for the hobby and the reward was seeing all the kids. A few guys from work went with there kids and hearing their stories of what their kids thought made it a very special reward. The last reward will be seeing SIDS getting their cheque and keeping them above water longer.

As for blades, nah did not worry about it, just wanted to look around, play and enjoy as it was my first ever meet / show, so it was a great experience just to soak it all in.

As well it was great to meet some of the guys behind the Forum names: retro, home pin, millsy, graham (owned bingo machine) who took the time to educate me on this incredible machine, geoff (enjoyed his twister - love the spinner on this better than the Xmen)  and a few others that their names have escaped me - already. A shame we did not have a chat goodolddays as remember seeing your shirt and was going to introduce myself but every time I saw you on the Sunday you were on a game and unfortunately had to leave by noon on Sunday, same as Mr Pinballogist and Pinpal and probably a few others that I have forgotten but going off the photos remember seeing your faces. Next time.

https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts