Author Topic: 1st Annual Pinball Festival - 2012 - Newcastle area  (Read 14924 times)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: 1st Annual Pinball Festival - 2012 - Newcastle area
« Reply #195 on: September 11, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »

This really sounds like a major success and a real boost to public awareness in the area for pinball.

If the organisers are interested in demonstrating Homebrew next year, the success has really got me motivated to get back to NPC 002 and finish it and take it up with Coconut Island.

Congratulations once again to those that pulled this off so well!!  ^^^
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #196 on: September 11, 2012, 12:07:09 PM »
sounds like a good idea

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #197 on: September 11, 2012, 12:21:18 PM »
 #*#
CCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLL  !!!!!!!!!!
well done to all
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #198 on: September 11, 2012, 12:33:15 PM »

This really sounds like a major success and a real boost to public awareness in the area for pinball.

If the organisers are interested in demonstrating Homebrew next year, the success has really got me motivated to get back to NPC 002 and finish it and take it up with Coconut Island.

Congratulations once again to those that pulled this off so well!!  ^^^

I would love that, as I am keen in the near future to do a homebrew pin myself - as I have a cnc and mechanical knowledge though electrical may be a challenge but sure if I got help (paid of course) from the likes of Ken and Mike I could develop one.

Please consider it that would be awesome.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #199 on: September 11, 2012, 03:01:06 PM »
I arrived back home at 1am this morning so apologies for a late post.

I have to say it was an event that opened the eyes of a LOT of people. Mostly ordinary families having a day out, lots of mums who seemed to be quite happy that 'little Johnny' was having a great time and for such a small cost - and all to a good cause to boot.

I'm sad to report that I only sold $92 worth of S.I. posters and bumper stickers towads the cause but I guess every bit helps.….

Hats off to the organisers, simply one of the most polished efforts I have ever seen - and I've been to a lot of events where 'professionals' were paid very large sums of money and the result was often pretty half baked. Perfect venue - perfect number and quality of machines and brilliant promotion of the event. It just shows that you can't buy success like this, you have to have a passion for it.

It was great to meet so many forum members from both AA and AP and great to talk to so many people who had made up their minds to buy a machine after attending. Many 'newbies' asked me about spare parts and I was happy to put their minds at ease about the availability. It was good to catch up with my mate from Brisbane - Gav (Retropin). We had tables next to each other and shared a room (separate beds thankfully) and a rent-a-car which eased the cost burden a little.

It was astounding just how many people walked in and said "I've had a pinball in the (insert out of the way place here - garage etc) and it hasn't worked for years - I thought I was the only person who owned one". They were able to get contacts for parts and repairers over the weekend so I'm sure we will see a few new faces popping up in the near future.

I spoke to so many people I had lost my voice by Sunday night (some would say that was a good thing). There was a huge mix of people from all walks of life and not one single harsh word between anyone. One young fellow came back in after we had closed up on Sunday and thanked us for putting on the show - "I have been trying to convince my girlfriend to let me buy a pinball, after today she wants a Playboy (Bally) - I couldn't get her off it!"

Another moment was a bit scarier - a large, hary biker type came up to me and grabbed me demanding to know where the owner of the Junkyard was (it had a for sale sign on it) - "I've been tryin' to ring the bastard but he doesn't answer his phone - I NEED to give him this money before someone else buys the machine". All worked out well, they hooked up and he bought it!

Probably the highlight for me was chatting with David Hankin and telling him that I was going to re-create boards for Hankin pins - he said "that's great" so I guess that's about as good an endorsement as you can get. I was also chuffed to win the signed Orbit Backglass even though EB stitched me up (you know what I mean Greg) - all for a good cause and lucky my wife knows I only paid $50 for it (wink).

Anyway there can be no doubt that I will be back next year (if invited) with an even greater range of boards and, you never know, I might even have a few surprises to show off by then now that the industry has been released from the death grip of the past few years (subtle dig at a certain EX rights owner).

Some pics from my camera in no particular order:

Dan "the man" and myself - thanks for the free T-shit Dan, but it didn't make it home????

This shirt is GREAT!

Furby made the trip from Sydney on both days, such is the dedication........

There were a few 'bodgy' repairs - don't bother looking for a nut driver - these pliers will do

The EM's needed a little bit of love but were VERY well presented and were a big hit

Even Tony from the Pinball Shed came along (could have sold 20 machines if he had them there)

The kids just LOVED this EM baseball game. Every time I looked across at it there was a different kid playing it - girls & boys

Left to right: David Hankin, yours truly, Bruce (from AMD) and Norbert

and the highlight for me - gas bagging with David Hankin and receiving his approval to make Hankin repro boards.

Those who weren't there - you missed out, BUT if you came along you probably wouldn't have been able to get in the door - hahaha
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #200 on: September 11, 2012, 04:37:23 PM »

I'm really enthused with the positive comments, and all I keep thinking is that this event was "World Class". FINALLY the hobby / industry has a professionally organized event to rival our friends in the USA. Maybe not as big (yet), but Rome was not built in one day.

I've passed on my congratulations to Greg, Swinks, Chris and Dom Slevin via email on behalf of the forum and Australian Pinball Restorations. Both Greg and Swinks have been actively posting excellent pictures and information for the benefit of those who could not be there, and hopefully it will inspire more of us to attend next year. I plan on being there, and I look forward to meeting everyone.

So who's thinking of going next year ?

I'll be more organised and make sure I'm there next year!
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #201 on: September 11, 2012, 05:03:47 PM »
If it is scheduled outside of footy finals next year then I'm there.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #202 on: September 12, 2012, 07:41:00 AM »
Well done, sounds like a great event! Key factor here is not having to pay for the venue which makes everything so much easier, and the organisers have obviously done a great job in getting pinballs and a few stalls in place.

Would love to have been there and caught up with a few people again but the timing just didn't work out for me this time around.

All the best for this event's future!! Long live pinball!!

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #203 on: September 12, 2012, 04:41:08 PM »

We decided the thread was heading in a direction that was not in the spirit of the event or the forum. Negative comments that don't belong here have been removed.

I noticed no one answered my question. Who is making the trip next year  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #204 on: September 12, 2012, 04:42:38 PM »

Me for sure and thinking about taking a game along
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #205 on: September 12, 2012, 04:54:56 PM »
Me for sure - as long as dates dont conflict with Pacific Pinball Expo in SFO  #@#
DW Drums rule !

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #206 on: September 12, 2012, 05:13:08 PM »
I certainly will be there again with a much larger range of things and probably a few surprises..... ^^^
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #207 on: September 12, 2012, 05:14:35 PM »
Quote from: Strangeways link=topic=9001.msg120670#msg120670 date=

[/quote

I answered you, yes I will be attending in 2013
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #208 on: September 12, 2012, 05:15:50 PM »
Same here.. but with a bit more planning i can take a large covered trailer down and then drive it back up again.. maybe even with a restored capt fant if i can find a backglass

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #209 on: September 12, 2012, 05:21:40 PM »

We decided the thread was heading in a direction that was not in the spirit of the event or the forum. Negative comments that don't belong here have been removed.

I answered to i'll be going next year lol

Peter