Author Topic: Removing Paint  (Read 1261 times)

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
Removing Paint
« on: March 18, 2009, 10:21:27 PM »
Is it possible to remove the artistic artwork potrayed by a previous owner of my recent acquisition (refer photos)
I want to try and remove this without stripping the original design paintwork under it (if its there).I tried Citristrip on the coin door but it removed some of the original paint. Did Gottlieb use enamels back in the 70s -I think the latest work of art is acrylic. Any product out there that will remove acrylic & leave enamel alone ?
Any thoughts.
Kev
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 10:24:04 PM by millsy »
pinballaustralia.com

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Removing Paint
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 10:25:50 PM »
Hey Millsy your coin door wouldn't have been painted originally so whatever is over it should come off hopefully leaving a nice shiny chrome door? unlikely but wishful thinking never killed anyone.

Check this site out should tell you everything you need to know if it doesnt just keep asking herehttp://www.pinrepair.com/restore/index1.htm#paint

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 10:30:44 PM »
just be really careful with the goof off as i used this on one side of my gulfstream cab and it attacked the original artwork as well. I had much better results scratching it off with a coin on the other side. I guess it depends on the paint type that the new "artist" used. I was lucky as it seemed to be a latex paint which is so much easier to take off.

Offline millsy

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 10:34:31 PM »
Hey Millsy your coin door wouldn't have been painted originally so whatever is over it should come off hopefully leaving a nice shiny chrome door? unlikely but wishful thinking never killed anyone.

Check this site out should tell you everything you need to know if it doesnt just keep asking herehttp://www.pinrepair.com/restore/index1.htm#paint
Got the paint off the coin door ok. Meant the woodwork.
pinballaustralia.com

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 10:37:19 PM »
Hows the door looking?  Most of mine have been rusty as i got one to polish up ok the other i just hit with the wire brush then sprayed it with chrome paint then cleared it to keep it shiny doesnt look original but looks better than the rusty old door..    I havnt forgotten about your parts either my Project is taking longer than expected i might even puul it off befor the big event just so i can get em to you

Offline millsy

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 10:58:22 PM »
I think it looks better than the painted job. Was thinking about the painted chrome look,if you get a chance take a picture of one that you have painted if you still have it. No hurry with those parts - thankful that youre saving them for me.
Kev
pinballaustralia.com

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 11:08:22 PM »

Kev - You could try one of two things ;

Citrus Strip - But instead of leaving the product on the paint for 20 - 30 minutes - leave it there for 10 minutes

Sanding the topcoat with a belt sander - Try experimenting with different grits.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 06:38:42 AM »
No probs kev ill get you a photo of that door tonight

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 06:34:32 PM »
Just an idea only - has anyone tried using prepsol?  If it was fresh I would think it would work no probs but I would be interested in a test spot to see if it worked???   *!@

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 06:44:34 PM »
Hey Kev here is that photo you requested

Offline millsy

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 07:05:12 PM »
Just an idea only - has anyone tried using prepsol?  If it was fresh I would think it would work no probs but I would be interested in a test spot to see if it worked???   *!@
I think prepsol is the same product as shellite,good for removing wax,silicans etc for pre painting but I dont think it would be potent enough to remove paint.
pinballaustralia.com

Offline millsy

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 07:08:43 PM »
Daniel,
Looks good,might do my bazaar coin door that way as well.
Kev
pinballaustralia.com

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 07:33:40 PM »
I think prepsol is the same product as shellite,good for removing wax,silicans etc for pre painting but I dont think it would be potent enough to remove paint.

Not sure.  I think it has more strength than shellite...
I've just been on the phone to my spray painter mate.....He reckons prepsol may be worth a try, but most likely will not do much.  He seems to think thinners should remove it (depending on type of paint) BUT could also take out paint from underneith?

Are you planning to try to recover it to make a stencil?

Offline millsy

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 07:40:43 PM »
I think thinners wont affect acrylic paint but will affect oil based paint - chances are the original paint would be oil based. If the original paint isnt any good i will need a template at least to make up a trace then either paint it or decal it.
Kev
pinballaustralia.com

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 08:25:31 PM »
Ive been told that is correct Millsy but ive never been game to try it if you do try it just try it under a leg or something