Author Topic: Removing Paint  (Read 1260 times)

Offline pinfrog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth WA
Re: Removing Paint
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2009, 07:16:39 PM »
I  have restored a few early 70s machines that had been repainted and had good results with this method ! I use ^^^ normal paint stripper.Paint on stripper approx a square foot at a time.As soon as the stripper begins to bubble (around 15 secs) scrape off with a putty knife or similar.Dont put paint stripper on too thick.Get a "feel "" to how long the stipper needs to stay on.If done correctly you should be left with the original design.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2009, 08:34:19 PM »
Kev 
       Ive modified those photos roughly into shape for you if i email them to you all you need to do is print it out at the size it is and then use the design to cut your stencil do you have a program like Paintshop pro that allows you to print part of an image then you can stick em together?  If you do ill resize them so all you need to do is print em

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2009, 09:42:21 PM »
Hi Daniel,
Only have photoshop - I think I can use this programme.
My budget hydraulic lift arrived Fri & have modified it today to lift higher so I can remove legs.
I might try pinfrog way of stripping paint then I can get stuck into it.
Kev
pinballaustralia.com

Offline millsy

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2009, 11:28:51 PM »
Tried the coin scratch method - a bit labour intensive.
Tried Citris strip method - takes too long & will soften original paint
Best method found was PinFrogs method - normal stripper & thin layer,wait 15secs & gently scrape.
Millsy
pinballaustralia.com

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2009, 01:11:09 AM »
Crikey!! The new artist didnt hold back on loud design!
Removing new paint from old is a real issue and any success will largely depend on what condition the original artwork is in underneath. The biggest saving grace with a repaint is that the "artist" rarely prepares the surface before repainting - its just slapped on.
 acrylic is tough to get off - i hate the stuff. Enamel is easier. Now hopefully - the original cabinet was not cleaned or rubbed back - if it was then i dont give it much hope.
 But best results ive got is to find a spot where the new paint has a chip or similar taken out of it and to use a razors edge paint stripper - its possible to lie it so flat that it actually glides between the 2 layers of paint. If the new paint is enamel then sometimes you can almost pull it off in sheets as it just peels away. Other parts you can chip away at it and it comes off in flakes.
its a long and laborious job and the kind of job you walk away from several times then go back to.

Good luck mate! I hope for your sake that the original abinet was still in relative good shape

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2009, 04:48:33 PM »
Let me know if you want them pics Kev

Offline millsy

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2009, 12:48:01 AM »
Thanks Daniel,will see how it looks when I strip the cabinet & remaining backbox top layers.
Kev
pinballaustralia.com

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2009, 12:11:09 PM »
Doing a good job so far looks like you will be able to make a stencil fingers crossed