Author Topic: Micro switch - where to buy  (Read 292 times)

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Micro switch - where to buy
« on: March 31, 2009, 10:36:50 AM »
I have a micro switch (Cherry) on my Jurassic Park that fails the switch test (ie: doesn't register when actuated) - the diode seems OK after testing with the multi meter, and the continuity test works also (ie: no beep when open, beep when closed).  I'm assuming the its probably easiest just to replace the switch - or is there another likely problem? There are no visible disconnected wires, and another switch in the same series works fine.

Can i get the switches from Jaycar or do i need to order from a pinball shop?

Thanks

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Micro switch - where to buy
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 10:48:06 AM »
Hi Rob,

Is their a diode on the switch?  If there is I would replace this first.  They can be bought from Jaycar no probs.

If not, a standard cherry switch I believe can be purchased from Jaycar as well.  If it has a special blade on it, this can be swapped.

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 11:08:42 AM »
Marty,

Thanks for that - yep there is a diode, it seemed to test OK, but i don't think it will break the bank to get one as well as a new switch.

Thanks - will head to Jaycar

Marty Machine

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 01:07:03 PM »
It seems odd that you can meter out the switch (beep/no beep) which indicates the switch is actually working.

You might want to connect a temporary shorting-wire (alligator lead) clipped across the existing wires on your switch, this will  prove that the wiring all the way back to your mpu is continuous and now registering during switch tests..

MM.

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 01:41:31 PM »
MM,

I have shorted this now and still not working - so i guess this indicates a problem elsewhere - presumably a short or break in the wire.

I guess i just have to trace both these wires back to the headbox and do a continuity across each joiner.....

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 02:19:38 PM »
MM,

I have shorted this now and still not working - so i guess this indicates a problem elsewhere - presumably a short or break in the wire.

I guess i just have to trace both these wires back to the headbox and do a continuity across each joiner.....

Could be the connector onto the MPU bpard in the backbox is the problem, could also indicate a deeper problem such as a switch matrix issue.  Is this the only switch on the playfield not operating?  If it is then most likley a connector problem.

If you need a micro switch RTBB whom sponser the sight have many (see their web site) fast delivery too.
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 04:09:27 PM »
Thanks for all the help - as Dean Morgan suggested it was the connector onto the MPU board - unsure if it was how the wire was seated in there or not but i pulled the wire out - continuity tests worked, put it back in the connector and it all works fine again.

Thanks

Rob