Author Topic: Cabinet Decal Installation  (Read 430 times)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Cabinet Decal Installation
« on: April 07, 2009, 05:37:07 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm in the planning & research stages for installation of the cabinet decals.  I have researched and are now seeking opinions.  Although the cab is painted, I will give it a light sand 220 grit or higher prior to decal installation.

Now I've read about the pros and cons of wet vs dry and something in between.

For those who have installed decals or those in the vinyl sign printing type of work I would be all ears.

I'm concerned about obviously the wet method on the wood and I've read about swelling and graining etc...In addition problems with wrinkles around the legs.

The dry method - obviously the main problem is operator error installing them and wrecking $300US decals..

Any tips for lining up or preparation for either method or comments would be appreciated

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Re: Cabinet Decal Installation
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 07:04:56 PM »
this just a suggestion ( when i do it this is the way i do it any way)
if you are worried about wood swelling when doing the wet method give your cabinet a coat of clear before putting decals on, that way you shouldn't have a problem of water getting into the wood.
to line the decals up lie them on the cabinet first before removing backing paper then use some masking tape at the top of the decals to hold them in place. if they are large decals get someone to help you by holding the decals off the cabinet while you squeegee the decals on. and make sure you wrap your squeegee in a soft cloth, you dont want to scratch your decals do you?
i used to install vinyl lettering and large stickers on cars and this seems to be the best way.
hope this helps.
but get some other advice to. 
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 07:48:45 PM »
Thanks Beaky,

Unfortunately I don't have the necessary tools to CC as yet (one day!)...Hence leaning towards the dry method at this stage.  I've developed more patience in such areas and I am guessing the application is similar to that of Mylar?  The last lot I did on my T2 basically I was planning to do the same method, unless suggested otherwise.

The other thing I'm wondering, I've seen people use 'fillers' for coin door area.  That is a piece of ply, the same thickness but a touch smaller to have where the coin door is installed to fill the hole and help with install...

http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/album162/filler

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 07:56:27 PM »
Id cart the cab over to marks. Was watching Mark and andrew put some on and damn they make it look easy. I cant lay a bumper sticker without stuffing it up.  Good luck

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 08:02:24 PM »
Id cart the cab over to marks. Was watching Mark and andrew put some on and damn they make it look easy. I cant lay a bumper sticker without stuffing it up.  Good luck

Mark very kindly talked me through some of the process the other week.  Couple of parts which I'm still not 100% on, but from looking at some of their cabs which they've decal'd are very very nice.  Alica (?) and Duckman also do very good jobs on the cab repairs as well.

I was considering it (and still are) but I've had a few extra expenses which I wasn't planning on for this rebuild which might knock that out.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 09:08:21 PM »

I'd suggest  going down to Child's next time they have a machine to decal and watch how it is done professionally. I've seen the results several times and they look great.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 09:18:25 PM »
Duckman can do all sorts of tricks like fall off ladders and stuff aswell hes very multi talented lol Sorry Du @@*cky couldnt help myself

Offline markc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 09:32:49 PM »

hope this helps

http://www.childamusements.com.au/Side_Art/side_art.html

this was about 12 months ago and Greg was  helping us  , still is

Nadine and Duckman do most of the now and with all the ones we have had to do  can do them very quickly

Andrew and I normally fit the decals ...   see i can do something ,  and If I am busy  Ducky will Help

I will do another start to finih again soon

mark

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 09:34:18 PM »

hope this helps

this was about 12 months ago and Greg was  helping us  , still is

Nadine and Duckman do most of the now and with all the ones we have had to do  can do them very quickly

Andrew and I normally fit the decals ...   see i can do something ,  and If I am busy  Ducky will Help

I will do another start to finih again soon

mark

Thanks Mark.. Ahh..Nadine...Not Alicia...Dunno where I got that from...Hmm...

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 09:35:45 PM »
Maybe alicia is marks blow up dolls name? %.%

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 09:54:12 PM »
hope this helps

Pretty good sequence there - what is used to prep the cab before applying the decal?

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 11:38:27 PM »
hope this helps

Pretty good sequence there - what is used to prep the cab before applying the decal?

I basically sanded, primed, filled, sanded, filled, sanded, paint, sand, paint......then a light sand (scotch bright pad) prior to installation (tag rag first)...

Great photos Mark...I have not seen those before.  It certainly inspires me to follow suit with the dry method.

I take it the centre (coin door) decal should go on first to assist with lining up the sides?

I'm seriously considering building a wooden filler to help as I can see issues with out it.

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 11:41:42 PM »
hope this helps

I basically sanded, primed, filled, sanded, filled, sanded, paint, sand, paint......then a light sand (scotch bright pad) prior to installation (tag rag first)...

Great photos Mark...I have not seen those before.  It certainly inspires me to follow suit with the dry method.

I take it the centre (coin door) decal should go on first to assist with lining up the sides?

I'm seriously considering building a wooden filler to help as I can see issues with out it.

thanks  Guys

yes lots of sanding and filling OVER AND OVER AGAIN

yes the coin door is first and we have made a piece to sit there  too  makes it so much easier

we will be fitting  some next week  I hope    well maybe    it all depends on time
porr Andrew now has 10 pins waiting for him to do  then we will do a decal
I will take some more pictures 

thanks

mark

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 03:12:51 PM »
Marty the wet method isn't too difficult if you have help. I put my ToM ones on no probs. I put the coin door side on with the hole there and cut around it.

Remember not to use too much windex etc on the decal, just enough to make it slippery. If you put too much, you then have to squiggy like mad and I reckon you lose some of the glue as well. So just make it slippery and then position it, get someone to hold it in place and squeeze the windex out. Leave it for a little while and then cut the edges off.

I didn't even take my machine apart, just removed any necessary hardware, bolts, hinges where needed and plugged up the holes with tissues, rags etc.

Still loving my Metallica Premium